Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Yo ProVerb

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
I like that contract idea, DPlanet. Clever move. @Cash, yes L.E.S is a great performer but he had an off night on friday. As for the people at Baseline being broke, you're buggin' kid. MrC and Neon were there, I was there, even a few of my people's and I don't think any of these people are broke. In any case, what's that got to do with anything, my nig? Quit with the MTV comments b. If we were caking off rap we wouldn't need 9 to 5s. But you're right organisers must respect the artists.
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
At PU we have contracts that state if the sound isn't up to the minimum standard, the artist will not perform - that's the technical rider. this is signed before the event and a 50% deposit is paid up front. This gives the artist some security in knowing that the least they get is half their money and they don't have to damage their reputation

Do you mind providing links to a 'standard' performance contract, if there's any???

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
...let me say i dont know wat happens in the back that side in mzanzi, if u cats sign contracts or wat, but if u state in ya contract wit the cats that u will perform at their event if the following conditions are met, and that they will pay u for showing and for performing under met conditions, and still pay for not performing if the condition are not met by them then, u can have a progressive movement, now... if the sound cuts eertime, and eertime that happens the bum on stage continues bumpin his head and rapping to the few at the front then how will the organizers change their attitude towards u, they konw that fool is hungry to be on stage no matter wat and he will perform even if all the mics die..that wack...

as soon as u hear that the mics are dying like flies, u hit the bar or hit the dance floor and ask the dj to play some shit...simple. the only time this is trick is if its your tour, then u gotta be on stage with apologies, then find a solution... now if u is just some cat who is getting 0.5 percent of the profit made, why play yourself, niggaz need to learn to add value to themselves.. u gotta take yourself as a brand, and say this f***ing brand wont go out like a punk,,, why go out likeu at a high V show...shit...

if the mic dies, get the crow to scream f*** u mr organizer then u jump off!!

sometime u need to grab yours,,, then peeps will take u serou!!!!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
It was sad what happened to Verb yo,but i think he actually handled it quite well. He still had a better performance than L.E.S even with the f***ed up sound.At least he had people throw their hands in the air for most of his set. L.E.S. was just garbage.Lip syncing and shit.People just stared at him throughout most of his songs.Maggz and Morale and them coming on didn't help things either.All this swagger shit just aint working.People want good music,artistry.Tuks and Pro did just that.They were nothing short of incredible,especially the latter.

LOL @ Cash.Always trying to find an excuse for your wack-a** friends.Broke Niggaz ? hahahaha.wasn't even that type of GIG dunn.Wasn't no underground/backpacker shit.There was mad fly honies too,so it also wasn't a sausage fest like u're trying to imply. DUDE was just wack.Like we've always said.

Shootout to Maggz and Morale though.Dude's is talented no doubt.That Maggz joint "What's Good" is off the hinges.Saw him rip that shit apart with Bongz on Live the other day.Was proud.I just hope they got strong people behind them guiding their careers in the right direction.They need to step away from this L.E.S. crap.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:51:16 AM by MrC »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
@MrC. True, can't front on that Maggz joint.   
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
deadly symptomps of poor planning and having no objectives when organising a would-be-big event.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
It was sad what happened to Verb yo,but i think he actually handled it quite well. He still had a better performance than L.E.S even with the f***ed up sound.At least he had people throw their hands in the air for most of his set. L.E.S. was just garbage.Lip syncing and shit.People just stared at him throughout most of his songs.Maggz and Morale and them coming on didn't help things either.All this swagger shit just aint working.People want good music,artistry.Tuks and Pro did just that.They were nothing short of incredible,especially the latter.

LOL @ Cash.Always trying to find an excuse for your wack-a** friends.Broke Niggaz ? hahahaha.wasn't even that type of GIG dunn.Wasn't no underground/backpacker shit.There was mad fly honies too,so it also wasn't a sausage fest like u're trying to imply. DUDE was just wack.Like we've always said.

Shootout to Maggz and Morale though.Dude's is talented no doubt.That Maggz joint "What's Good" is off the hinges.Saw him rip that shit apart with Bongz on Live the other day.Was proud.I just hope they got strong people behind them guiding their careers in the right direction.They need to step away from this L.E.S. crap.

lol. I was kidding fellas. bout the Broke niggas shit! hahahaa!
No man, i always gotta throw in sum shit talk here n there.

Otherwise, my real point was about the fact that "you must be prepared for f*** ups from the organisers side" unfortunately they dont take us RAPPERS seriously.

If a Sound Engineer f***ed up at a Dj cleo gig, he'd get FIRED. At a hiphop gig, ITS OKAY?

@ DPlanet, we also had a rider, but guess what, SA promoters dont honor that.

Same event last week, we signed the contract a week prior, then on the evening of the gig, they send us the SHOW SCHEDULE - The time,length of our performance had been altered. lol

WE stuck to our guns and did as was stipulated in the initial contract. we killed it, so they were happy in the end!

But YES, its important to have a RIDER drawn up! VEry IMPORTANT!

Amazing how much you can learn from DPlanet!
@cash_sog

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
no doubt blaklez.

this is SUCH an issue. its just such an issue. have you rethinking youre entire life. its awful. have you drained before youve even walked out. shows can be rollercoaster rides of note. things are stated, agreed upon and then everything goes wrong. and you are left there fending for yourself having to make quick decisions like plan b/c/d and h. just before you go on or when youre already out there. yho. so much drama with bad organisation and the fact that its so prevalent. sometimes i really just dont understand why its such a recurring theme in this space. organisers arent thorough but theyre demanding. if theyre arent trying to cheat you out of your value theyre making it difficult for you to do your job to the best of your abilities. a stupifying mixture of negligence and arrogance.

i think its even worse when you have to work with people you know. boundaries getting so blurred when at the end of the day some things are just unacceptable - the end. if youre not ready dont bullshyt people and get on stages. if youre not ready dont bullshyt people and put on shows. theres a lot of taking advantage of people going on in these woods. way too much. scary how it comes to unnecessarily define things.

the problem also is this business of sometimes finding yourself the lone voice trying to engage organisers way before when some of the issues already start to flash neon. youll be standing there looking like the idiot. sometimes artists arent willing to clarify their position on some of these things for the benefit of everybody. youll have people willing to take their chances. and then youre all phucked. and well things do go wrong just nje thats life so youve just got to be tuff enough to be ready for any eventuality. things just change. its so frustrating, peace of mind is like a luxury.

would be nice though to hear from people who have long had to work within such and their thoughts on it really.

in this realm it makes the manager king it does.

im quite feeling maggz. really enjoyed that track featuring 2li 'see me tomorrow'
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Glad I didn't make it then.

I read an interesting thing about Mr Swagger in the Sunday times yesterday. Seems he is planning to buy himself platinum.

They asked him which cd's he plans to buy next and I can't remember what the one is, but the other is "another copy of Jozi's Muthaland Crunk".

This swagger shit is retarded. In Bloem they sit around in AMakipkip, drinking Hennessey VSOP  and smoking cigars, referring to themselves Bloem's Hip Hop Kings, when they have done nothing to earn that title, besides fool young girls with their cheap Cognac aand snap music. Then anyone that dares ask what they did to earn the King title is labled a hater.

It seems success is now defined according to the amount of imagined hate you can generate.

As for Pro performing with the shitty sound, it depends on whether or not he had a contract and what it said, I think. I think he is big enough to have walked off and refused though. Especially if the crowd could see what was up with the sound.

fana-galor

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Sure Gents. But sometimes ama artists can be difficult as well.Espcially women. A boy of mine once tried to book a certain rap artist from a certain independant label and she refused to get on the plane because her first 50% of the payment wasnot reflecting in her account like her contract said it would. Everything was paid for,accommodation,flights but just because my boy missed one clause in the contract she refused to get on the plain.That was just f***edup.he said she will get in when she land but she refused saying he didnt stick to his side of the contract and how sure can she be that she will be payed.It stupid because they had paid flights so why wouldnt they pay her.this is why men say women are stupid.its not always promoters.ama artist can be difficult.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
"you cudnt face my arsenal like totenham hotspurs"  ;D ;D ;D
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +8/-7
    • View Profile
Glad I didn't make it then.

I read an interesting thing about Mr Swagger in the Sunday times yesterday. Seems he is planning to buy himself platinum.

They asked him which cd's he plans to buy next and I can't remember what the one is, but the other is "another copy of Jozi's Muthaland Crunk".

This swagger shit is retarded. In Bloem they sit around in AMakipkip, drinking Hennessey VSOP  and smoking cigars, referring to themselves Bloem's Hip Hop Kings, when they have done nothing to earn that title, besides fool young girls with their cheap Cognac aand snap music. Then anyone that dares ask what they did to earn the King title is labled a hater.

It seems success is now defined according to the amount of imagined hate you can generate.As for Pro performing with the shitty sound, it depends on whether or not he had a contract and what it said, I think. I think he is big enough to have walked off and refused though. Especially if the crowd could see what was up with the sound.
yeah...and the strategy is:
if i say i'm the best then that makes it so,by the authority of my own voice,and the more i say it the truer it becomes
its like the emperor's new clothes,wat?nigga u dn c it?wat?,ur a hater!
You are your best thing! - Toni Morrison (Beloved)

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
What pressed you to keep performing when it was clear that you were being sabotaged at Baseline? At times your lips were moving but there was no sound. I think I saw you shrug your shoulders on some 'oh well'. You're a big artist in your own right and a lot of kids look up to you. In fact, in some's eyes, you've been an excellent amba**ador for hip hop. I was surprised that you allowed yourself to continue on stage when there was hardly any sound. Funny that sound got better when other acts came on. I understand it might be because the organisers paid you but I would've been encouraged to see you take a stand. I thought you'd walk off but when you stayed on I thought, 'there goes hip hop. If they could treat Pro like that, what will they do to a talented wordsmith from Sebokeng, Mamelodi, etc'?       

NO doubt Ba**line was a complete disaster
I did sign a contract which stated that adequate sound will be provided and I also went and did a Sound check the afternoon before. Once on stage of course the tables turned.
My 1st thought was to storm off but my 2nd was that My beef was with the promoter and not with the crowd or the invited guests. I remained and fulfilled my mandate and took it up with the Promoter once off stage.
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
No stress man. at least your set wasnt cut short like ours @ Ba**line. lol.

It seems like everyone can agree that the PROMOTER was at fault here and not PRO.
get that dirt off ya shoulder and keep shining!
@cash_sog

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
It really does sound fishy though the fact that only Verb's set had sound engineering problems....

Prokid and HHP were due to perform in this shit place im in this year(stellies), and the sound was bad, it had an echo..
Prokid jumped on stage did the first verse then asked the dj to switch off the beat, did the second verse accapella and left the stage... HHP did the same and there went the show...

Salute to ProVerb for staying on stage though and even though the sound was wack he still managed to throw a better performance than those that perfomed with a proper sound...