Yo ProVerb

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment
I feel the new hiphop generation uses *SWAGGER* as their defence to the lack of lyricism on their raps so much that they end up forgotting what Swagger really is...

Formula: (Wack lines + Catchy hooks + weak beats + SWAGGER = Hit) 

Just a question, when rap was first started was there any lyricism involved or was it all party music?

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
I'm inclined to think all those things came afterwards, I think rap started as a voice for the people and was primarily political in it's initial stages. Then the competitive eleiment came into it. I wanna beleive that's when it started evolving into what it is today. Take Chuck D from public enemy for example, that dude has no flow whatsoever but he still goes down in history as one of the best that did it.
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
I feel the new hiphop generation uses *SWAGGER* as their defence to the lack of lyricism on their raps so much that they end up forgotting what Swagger really is...

Formula: (Wack lines + Catchy hooks + weak beats + SWAGGER = Hit) 

Just a question, when rap was first started was there any lyricism involved or was it all party music?

From your question i can tell that you are missing my point... We all wanna go to a club and listen to some club music. My point is that the people making the music must be confident/comfortable with it, hence no hiding behind Swagger. If any new era cat was to up track (Not necessarily a club track) and i said it was wack.. I would prolly be labelled a hater that has no Swagger...

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment

From your question i can tell that you are missing my point... We all wanna go to a club and listen to some club music. My point is that the people making the music must be confident/comfortable with it, hence no hiding behind Swagger. If any new era cat was to up track (Not necessarily a club track) and i said it was wack.. I would prolly be labelled a hater that has no Swagger...

I just meant that like technology in the world, hip hop also keeps evolving...
hip hop came from funk and disco music, so the music u hear now is probaly as close to the roots of hip hop then the golden age rap... some ppl might not like whats being put out now but i guess its here to stay...

GreenBat

• Do u still know da Goblin is Green smokin dat Hybrid?Same mutha fuka witout Batting an eyelid!
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.8hop.com/Wordview
Yea sum gud points bein made here.So lemme add my little bit.I came in2 da hip hop kultcha round '88 n bck thn wat i was listenin 2 were cats like kwame da polkadotd rapper, fat boys, biz markie, heavy d n em kinda peops.Dem cats was al abot funny rhymz n mcing ws real playful then.Wher da swagger came in2 effect ws whn crews like Run-DMC, beasty boys, LL cool J, 2 live crew, epmd n P.E no.1 realizd dat they were fillin up stadiums n dat hip hop was able 2 compete wit otha pop music gendres of dat tym.From ther shit jst balloond n grew givin birth 2 evrythin frm gangsta rap 2 crunk or wateva.Wats reali kewl is dat nowadays new cats wna knw bot da history of rap music n ppl lyk me can stand up n say, "wait a minute" da 1st rapper kurtis blow ws highly educatd n so were many of da early pioneers of da kultcha.N dat da greatest album 4 me is stil PARIS' Da Devil Made Me Do It, he ws forewarnin us abot al da ish dat we tokn bot nw.Big Up hip hop 4 life!
I'm a para-normal author...I do write books
I do right hooks...Wateva i mite do like crooks

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Greenbat 4 president lol. I love rap/hip hop and everything in it past and present,well except  Krump/ing,  man i hate that shit with pa**ion.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
@ Verb - i cnt speak 4 everyone but i think the 'swagger boys' r generally the new cats hiding behind wat they dnt undastand. I agree wit da brotha sayin cats will drop sum weak shit, talentles muffaka's! and hide behind 'swagger' talkin bout it like they shook. Sum cats dnt wana b a**ociated wit it coz they jus dnt care bout that talk, otha's r afraid they'd b paired wit the talentles pool.. and that wud b bad coz they'd b bust for real.  
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"