The Game in Joburg this Thursday

Mega · 123 · 36223

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
  • www.roachinc.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
Back in the day when The essences was on 5fm and I spoke to TTP, he told me that Big Concerts do not pay local artist to open for large international acts! This was true cause they even had the dude from Big Concerts talk about this on radio. As for MTV I honestly Don't know and don't have a comment! When I spoke to Navio (Uganda) and J from Nigeria they told me that in Nigeria the local act has to be paid a minimum of 33% of what the international act is getting so do the maths if the game wants $100k then in Nigeria the local act will get paid $33k for opening! They have a music rights commit that protects artists there!

As local artists we should stand together! Exposure does not put food on the table it doesn't pay the bond for my crib! We offer a service ! We deserve to get paid!

it turns out, this is just a rumor that has been going around and MTVBase are aware of it, so chill, go get ur tickets, cats is getting caked up.
N'veigh's Album ,titled 7.30, dropping on 7.30

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Back in the day when The essences was on 5fm and I spoke to TTP, he told me that Big Concerts do not pay local artist to open for large international acts! This was true cause they even had the dude from Big Concerts talk about this on radio. As for MTV I honestly Don't know and don't have a comment! When I spoke to Navio (Uganda) and J from Nigeria they told me that in Nigeria the local act has to be paid a minimum of 33% of what the international act is getting so do the maths if the game wants $100k then in Nigeria the local act will get paid $33k for opening! They have a music rights commit that protects artists there!

As local artists we should stand together! Exposure does not put food on the table it doesn't pay the bond for my crib! We offer a service ! We deserve to get paid!

it turns out, this is just a rumor that has been going around and MTVBase are aware of it, so chill, go get ur tickets, cats is getting caked up.

so whats with prokid on radio talking "exposure" all about?.
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Uncle Bextizyy speaks on this, on a 17 minute joint he has on BattleKat's Beats Against the Beast Project,just breaking down the industry. He makes mention of a local rock group who where opening for an major international rock act and where also offered "EXPOSURE" as a reward for their toil.Worse,they had to go around the country following this big ROCK band,paying their own travelling costs.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
I wish what I was saying was not true, but PRO was very VERY clear about what he was saying, using the word "FOKOL" when answering how much they were offering.

Sbu still had to promote the event because YFM is a media partner in the event.
But PRO was clear that they do not pay local artists for these events(mentioning explicitly the Snoop, G Unit, Kelly Rowland and Jay-Z concerts)

PRO also mentioned that he was doing a lot of FREE shows, but only does them because he is cool/friends with the DJ's/organisers of these events(He mentioned the Foolish Thursdays Events hosted by Tholi B).

This is a reality people. Our hiphop artists are being explioted to the fullest.

Im glad PRO took a stand LIVE on RADIO.

I understand that you guys want to go see "The Game", i did too.
But the damage that it is causing us is huge.
I mean, Blakles, dont you think artists of your calibre should even be "invited" to these events(never mind paying for tickets.wtf?) We are being disrespected and we're still happy that "At least we will see GAME, maybe get some EXPOSURE,maybe even an autograph. What are you gaining from seeing GAME if it will cost you the price of YOUR OWN LOCAL ARTISTS NOT GETTING PAYED and you indirectly supporting this?"

Sbu and them promised to get an MTV representative to state their side of the story after PRO called in, I wonder what happened? Any feedback?
@cash_sog

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
@Explicit. I don't believe that 33 percent thing. Contracts are personal and people negotiate them according to what they feel they're worth, not according to what the other dude is getting. How does one even know for sure how much The Game is getting paid? The artists that want 33 percent of what a big international act is getting might still get duped because they don't have access to the act's contract. There's no way of knowing what the dude is getting.  One could only speculate
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
Uncle Bextizyy speaks on this, on a 17 minute joint he has on BattleKat's Beats Against the Beast Project,just breaking down the industry. He makes mention of a local rock group who where opening for an major international rock act and where also offered "EXPOSURE" as a reward for their toil.Worse,they had to go around the country following this big ROCK band,paying their own travelling costs.

Was listening to this ish on Tuesday.

@Buff so wa**up with the Prokid situation since you connected....that nigga is one the best for heaven sake, why not paying him?
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
@Explicit. I don't believe that 33 percent thing. Contracts are personal and people negotiate them according to what they feel they're worth, not according to what the other dude is getting. How does one even know for sure how much The Game is getting paid? The artists that want 33 percent of what a big international act is getting might still get duped because they don't have access to the act's contract. There's no way of knowing what the dude is getting.  One could only speculate

@BlakLez
Dude I sat down in studio with these dudes who came down here for the Channel O awards and they told me themselves that they have a music commit that charges 33% of what the international act wants! Dude i didn't suck this shit out my thumb! they told me this! I mean these are artists from Nigeria that Sell 1 million copies in 5 days forget a week! Don't you think they have a strong following? We celebrating 25k sold and head over heels here dude! think about it!  

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Im sorry man, i would rather take the word of an artist with nothing to lose rather than someone who works for a BRAND that pays him/her to promote the brand.

Nobody at MTV would say anything to damage the reputation of the brand and risk losing their pay cheque. So perhaps the person you spoke to has other concerns rather than speaking out for artists(in this case). ie. job security,confidentiality clauses,loss of ticket sales/revenue,liability for misrepresentation of the brand? etc. Pro is the last thing on that persons mind.just a thought.

Just like how Sbu had to promote the event right after PRO hung up because YFM is a media partner. He is OBLIGATED to promote the event.

@Bleakles, IGHO has confirmed this 33% clause many times.
Faze(Fromer Plantation boys member with 2Face) has stated it to me as well. I think P-Square and D'Banj get more after D'Banj SHUT DOWN the JAY-Z concert.
@cash_sog

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
I wish what I was saying was not true, but PRO was very VERY clear about what he was saying, using the word "FOKOL" when answering how much they were offering.

Sbu still had to promote the event because YFM is a media partner in the event.
But PRO was clear that they do not pay local artists for these events(mentioning explicitly the Snoop, G Unit, Kelly Rowland and Jay-Z concerts)

PRO also mentioned that he was doing a lot of FREE shows, but only does them because he is cool/friends with the DJ's/organisers of these events(He mentioned the Foolish Thursdays Events hosted by Tholi B).

This is a reality people. Our hiphop artists are being explioted to the fullest.

Im glad PRO took a stand LIVE on RADIO.

I understand that you guys want to go see "The Game", i did too.
But the damage that it is causing us is huge.
I mean, Blakles, dont you think artists of your calibre should even be "invited" to these events(never mind paying for tickets.wtf?) We are being disrespected and we're still happy that "At least we will see GAME, maybe get some EXPOSURE,maybe even an autograph. What are you gaining from seeing GAME if it will cost you the price of YOUR OWN LOCAL ARTISTS NOT GETTING PAYED and you indirectly supporting this?"

Sbu and them promised to get an MTV representative to state their side of the story after PRO called in, I wonder what happened? Any feedback?

anyhow i might sound ignorant in writing that an MTVBase representative has confirmed that they are aware of such rumors, perhaps them beign on radio to discuss the issue would help. but m sure cash u know there is more to me being at the gig than just the game, yeah im seeing the game but also, ill be SEEEING the game, so yeah at the cost of, never mind. the point is, an artist of LEZ's calibre, i suppose LEZ will answer that himself, but from ma opinion, i feel that taking a stand is good, but you should also look at this dawg, why would HHP be in the mix? why would Jozi be in the Mix? i hear what u r saying about SBU's obligation to the show cos yfm is a media partner, i think The Game will be on the afternoon drive show today with Chilli M so lets hear what the deal is, i hope an MTV rep will be there too. But Lez maybe because of his a**ociation with HYPE magazine yeah he could get complimentary tickets cos he part o the media, but whats the reason behind the event? how will MTV Base benefit from inviting The Anvils to the event for free? i think in the broader scheme of things, we should be able to make our own minds about things and i have a slight bit of a problem with group thinking. what do we really know about Pro's stance? and Big Concerts yes, they do bring BIG artists to SA but over and above that, the main sponsors are not always the same people and the budgeting is not always the same and the objective behind the events aint always the same so i do not think we should generalise about what has happened in the past and specific to big concerts vs any other event that brings international artists to SA. as it stands i would have loved to have the anvils on that stage, but we were told that this particular event was specific to pushing the MAMA'S and the nominees too. so i fell back, but m still going to see the game. Lez why dont you call HHp up and ask him in person? we can put an end to this speculation?

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@Cash. I agree with you. Why would someone employed by MTV say something damaging to the brand that puts food on their table? Yo Buff, let's not let our eagerness to see Game perform cloud our judgement. As big as MTV are, is it right for them to expect artists to do work for props and groupie love? That's just crazy! Peace to Pro for taking a stand. This dude is definitely showing the rest of us how... Imagine not getting paid after putting in work! The obvious question is, why work if you know there'll be no money coming your way. MTV is playing games!!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Yeah, point taken BUFF.
Theres always 3 sides to a story.
the thing is YES, you will be SEEING the Game, But at YOUR cost.
He will also be SEEING you, but at YOUR cost.
As a matter of fact hiphop artists are now doing hiphop, at their cost(all of us).
How can we continue to conduct business like this?

ps. The Anvils are in the top 5 Biggest groups in SA. They SHOULD be invited to come see The Game and shake hands at least. Its called "Public Relations", but i guess hiphop artists arent seen as part of the public.

Just like if "Lady Smith Balck Mambazo" go to the US, Quincey Jones, P Diddy,etc. will be INVITED to come shake hands with them.

Im not even joking anymore, the situation in SA hiphop hurts me deeply.
@cash_sog

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
One of the performers (wont mention him), has just refused confirm or deny that he's getting paid. Figure it out. No use complaining if some artists are ok with working for free.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
People will treat you how you let yourself get treated. Big CONcerts know that most artists are desperate to get international shine and be able to put, 'performed with The Game' on their CVs. Truth is, most local warm-up acts don't even get to shake hands with the headline act, let alone chill with them backstage. You're just another groupie.

We've all got to get rid of this small time groupie mentality. Who gives a f*** about The Game? If you wanna see him as a fan, that's cool - just pay for a ticket and take your girl to the concert and enjoy yourself. Don't try to shine off his shine and see performing for free as some kind of business opportunity. Focus on your own shit. Work yourself to the level where you can approach him as an equal to do a collaboration (if you like his shit).

Doing concerts for free is cool if you're doing it for your record label (to promote your album, for example), or for friends. There's so much money available when big sponsors get involved - you're disrespecting yourself if you don't demand to get paid.

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
@Cash since you are boys with Da Les why don't you ask him if he is getting that paper or not?
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
One of the performers (wont mention him), has just refused confirm or deny that he's getting paid. Figure it out. No use complaining if some artists are ok with working for free.

so who are we to complain on their behalf?