Government Names

Dpleezy · 21 · 5801

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
What is it with South African journalists always wanting to 'expose' SA artists' government names? I see it in almost every interview I read. It's like they are trying to bring our local artists down to earth or something.

I bet you no one is gonna ask The Game tomorrow what his 'real' name is!

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
Jayceon Taylor... What's wrong with letting people know what an artist's real name is?
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Jayceon Taylor... What's wrong with letting people know what an artist's real name is?

I just don't understand why it's important. He calls himself The Game - let's leave it at that.

Journalists seem to do it in a way that attempts to break down the mystique of an artists' persona. Why?

Also, why waste a question on such a basic thing? Aren't there more pertinent questions to ask - stuff about their music for example? If you've got 5 questions to ask, is that the best you can think of?

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
"These" journalists are asking what they know that the fans want to know about the artist, cause hey man the last time I heard somebody being afraid of giving out their real name was when it was a very bad name like "Pieter, Maria, etc.". you get what I'm saying?  So it really dates back to your child hood on how people used to make fun about your name. 

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
As a journalist I find it interesting. I tend not to ask the question at all in an interview (the answer can normally be found in official bios or promo literature) but if I do I ask at the end.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

WORDSMITH

• The wap up starts at the bottom.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-21
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

I just don't understand why it's important. He calls himself The Game - let's leave it at that.

Journalists seem to do it in a way that attempts to break down the mystique of an artists' persona. Why?

Also, why waste a question on such a basic thing? Aren't there more pertinent questions to ask - stuff about their music for example? If you've got 5 questions to ask, is that the best you can think of?

The thing with most Jounos is that they are machines, They're programmed to ask the same stupid questions. And that happens mostly if the journo knows nothing about the artist and try to do background check during the interview.

Another thing is, If the artist is new in the biz, its always nice to know the person before the music. "MY OPINION".
"Hip Hip is Hip Hip, We quick to Judge,
But we aint quick enough to not be Judged"
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

The thing with most Jounos is that they are machines, They're programmed to ask the same stupid questions. And that happens mostly if the journo knows nothing about the artist and try to do background check during the interview.

Another thing is, If the artist is new in the biz, its always nice to know the person before the music. "MY OPINION".

WHICH JOURNALISTS ARE THESE?
I pride myself in the fact that I always ask stuff that no one else would think of. So seeing how I'm probably the only journo to ever interview you, I would like to know who you're referring to.

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

WHICH JOURNALISTS ARE THESE?
I pride myself in the fact that I always ask stuff that no one else would think of. So seeing how I'm probably the only journo to ever interview you, I would like to know who you're referring to.

You are actually the second. Dawg im not sum Juorno wanna be. so im sure you dont expect me to give names(I don't have them). But to justify what im talking about. I read about 6 different magz a month and countless news papers, so i've seen how these people structure they're work. you can even get the question by just reading the answers. As for the TV jurnos the're the lamest except Patra of course.
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Okay, cool. You also have to consider that most of these dudes write for specific audiences, and the papers you read and the TV programmes you watch, cater to a specific audience.

For example, City Press or SABC doccies, all have a certain group in mind and their journos might not be all that clued up on the person they are interviewing. Their main aim is to introduce this person to the audience and get the word out that he exists, so they stick to the basics and then give a little background knowledge just to clue you in.

Unfortunately, if you want more in-depth reporting, you may have to go to speciality shows and mags to get the gritty info.

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com
Okay, cool. You also have to consider that most of these dudes write for specific audiences, and the papers you read and the TV programmes you watch, cater to a specific audience.

For example, City Press or SABC doccies, all have a certain group in mind and their journos might not be all that clued up on the person they are interviewing. Their main aim is to introduce this person to the audience and get the word out that he exists, so they stick to the basics and then give a little background knowledge just to clue you in.

Unfortunately, if you want more in-depth reporting, you may have to go to speciality shows and mags to get the gritty info.

Props... You work for RAPPORT rite?...... what do you do there?
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Everything from crime to entertainment. I try to focus on science and techno though, cos that way I get free shit to feed my geekdom.

I'm planning to get back into radio next year maybe.

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com
Everything from crime to entertainment. I try to focus on science and techno though, cos that way I get free shit to feed my geekdom.

I'm planning to get back into radio next year maybe.

Dwag are you by any chance bloem?...
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

Mad Pyro

• EVIL RETARD
  • Guppie
    • REP: +1/-6
    • View Profile
Stick to the fcking topic.!!!!!

no time to bond like Beyatches.
THE EVILNESS IS UNRIVALED LIKE THE RETARD

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
    • View Profile
On the real though, i always hear/read the same 5 questions from these bonobos...

Who did you work with on this album?
what can we expect from this album?
what was the inspiration...?
what do you do when you're not working?
do you have a message for the youth out there?

and always in that f***ing order...

and artists always have the same answer, all the f***ing time...
Real Recognise Real

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com
On the real though, i always hear/read the same 5 questions from these bonobos...

Who did you work with on this album?
what can we expect from this album?
what was the inspiration...?
what do you do when you're not working?
do you have a message for the youth out there?

and always in that f***ing order...

and artists always have the same answer, all the f***ing time...

TRUE THAT!!! I salute you![b/]
- Philo (Bloem Cat)