Africasgateway.com

Industry Standards...

Prof. X (of The B.e.et Academy)

• The Academy
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Academic
After reading the two recent Hype magazines, I figured as producers we need to set a standard amongst ourselves by comparing prices... and whatever prices you decide on, will it be suitable for everyone?

Hype say we should start at around R1000 but for upcoming artists that's a bit much I think. So what's the deal producers, what are you guys charging? Should it be based on the who the buyer is or should it be based on your standards?

Let's create and spread the knowledge people.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
in varsit i gave away beats for beer. or when i was really broke, i sold beats for R50 hahaha. But i must say, i made quite a bit of doe of selling beats, for those days
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
I think standards develope over a time period after your brand is out there. I say work around the consumer and as time goes by and as the brand starts to expand then raise the bar. But for now, chill on those high prices. ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:43:22 AM by too much for AG »

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
give beats for free when u still starting out....it doesn't hurt

its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
give beats for free when u still starting out....it doesn't hurt

And just to add to that, dnt be scared to give atleast 5 to me...

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

sure no problem....

with ejay at my disposal...il lace u with 10 ;D
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

• The Academy
  • AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • The Academic
@M.Z.U. lol. Nice one. I do actually give beats away and I am planning to give out beats to people who are upcoming and all and try the "big dogz" as well.

Someone explain this though... If I build myself as a brand and I'm making sub-standard beats as a brand but charging an arm and leg, what happens?

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

sure no problem....

with ejay at my disposal...il lace u with 10 ;D

There u have it ladies and gents, mzu is working on a mixtape ;D

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
since this is not really the first time such an issue is being discussed im tempted to reiterate the opinion i had on it before. as a producer starting up the naturla course of action is to make a name for yourself and as such mould yourself into a brand, one that will and should be a**ociated with quality.

with that said it makes perfect sence to give beats away for free during this time in your career when you are still starting up but what is most important is who you give them to. if the vocalist/emcee can be trusted to always bring it hard and spit heat on your material its actually an investment to give them the beats for no charge since they as well as you will always be a**ociated with upstanding work.

with time because the demand for your product will increase you can start putting a price tag on it. it all depends on the demand, u cant just charge a grand when there is probably someone down the road from you who can be trusted to bring out heat as his/her reputation because the question will always come up: who have you worked with, and how have they been recieved?...

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
since this is not really the first time such an issue is being discussed im tempted to reiterate the opinion i had on it before. as a producer starting up the naturla course of action is to make a name for yourself and as such mould yourself into a brand, one that will and should be a**ociated with quality.

with that said it makes perfect sence to give beats away for free during this time in your career when you are still starting up but what is most important is who you give them to. if the vocalist/emcee can be trusted to always bring it hard and spit heat on your material its actually an investment to give them the beats for no charge since they as well as you will always be a**ociated with upstanding work.

with time because the demand for your product will increase you can start putting a price tag on it. it all depends on the demand, u cant just charge a grand when there is probably someone down the road from you who can be trusted to bring out heat as his/her reputation because the question will always come up: who have you worked with, and how have they been recieved?...

Not that I would know, not being a producer really, but co-sign.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

Someone explain this though... If I build myself as a brand and I'm making sub-standard beats as a brand but charging an arm and leg, what happens?

then we dnt f***s with u ;D

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
if there was Quality Control, a standard would be possible. Some of these guys are making whack unispired beats.

• The Academy
  • AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • The Academic
Okay, cool. So I go and give a beat to ProVerb, he uses it on a mixtape or just maybe, an album. Can I start selling then? And for how much? What are you guys here at Ag charging, if you do sell?

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
dont think getting your joint on 'verbs ish is license to start charging 2K  for a beat....

co-sign 2 Oints' post

• The Academy
  • AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • The Academic
Yeah, I know. I'm asking how much I should charge... How much are you katz charging? What is Amu, Mizi, Bongz, Nyambz, Dome and the 'industry' charging? How much is the 'industry' willing to pay as well?