Africasgateway.com

Masta Ace, Strick and DJ Flo Fader at Party People

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Haven't seen that many heads (and retired heads) in one place in a long time.

so the heads came out to play ;D

yeh. i guess old artists like Masta Ace r the only hope we'll see some of the veterans at gigs. age is bond  ;D

hahaha polaris u kill me, golden oldies came out to support one of their own ;D
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
well, friends what can i say. the gig at zula was too f***ing happening. not really a fan of kenzhero (you'll find the man has a tendency of only playining tracks i playlisted way the f*** back in my postgrad year at university, and, as seasoned a head as i like to consider myself, in truth it does get tedious, very quickly. and that's leaving alone the fact that its a pretty played out gimmick) but we all got drunk and open, and i suppose thats all that matters.

on a sidenote: does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that people on this website wile away their office hours adopting online identities and communicating with strangers but still remain completely anonymous at gigs that their know will have high AG turnout?

and on another sidenote: i must say: as much as i enjoyed the performance, masta ace is [cash] a played out VETERAN of the OLD SCHOOL which is NOT RELEVANT RIGHT NOW!!!![/cash]

polaris

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-3
  • IT IS I
    • View Profile

not really a fan of kenzhero (you'll find the man has a tendency of only playining tracks i playlisted way the f*** back in my postgrad year at university, and, as seasoned a head as i like to consider myself, in truth it does get tedious, very quickly.
true, Kenzhero's sets are rather exhausted. same shit every other dj played in every set many years ago, his set is almost always the same too.

The fact that he doesn't invite other djs to play at his gigs doesn't help either (i'm still surprised at this)

but on an promotional/entrepreneur level, i think he 's on point. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:00:14 PM by Polaris Osiris »

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
word, fam. i'm thinking: when will it ever happen that i actually make it to a hip hop gig that plays music which wasn't produced in the nineties. fine, it can still be underground, but why can't i hit a spot which will have a set inclusive of the likes of blu, el-p, elzhi, black milk or even killer mike?

polaris

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +4/-3
  • IT IS I
    • View Profile
word, fam. i'm thinking: when will it ever happen that i actually make it to a hip hop gig that plays music which wasn't produced in the nineties. fine, it can still be underground, but why can't i hit a spot which will have a set inclusive of the likes of blu, el-p, elzhi, black milk or even killer mike?

yeh, i was living in cape town for about 2 years & i think dj Big Dre is one of the few djs who play a well-balanced set. in fact, djs in cape town are generally better in comparison to joburg. Out here u get a lot of so called 'crowd pleasers', problem is people like u & i no longer pleased with that Step into my world - Miss Fat Booty - Brown Skin Lady - The Next Movement overplay! reminds me of Glen Louis

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog

on a sidenote: does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that people on this website wile away their office hours adopting online identities and communicating with strangers but still remain completely anonymous at gigs that their know will have high AG turnout?

ha ha ha but there is no way of knowing who they are when u get to a gig, u cant go around asking "hi, are u Panic" to strangers :-\
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile

but what the hell is the deal with the politricks?!!! Why did they sabortage Nthabi???  >:( >:( >:(

Sabotage??? No she wasn't sabotaged... I jus think it wasn't her day. If she was really sabotaged then she could've gone again like the rest of them. She dropped 4 bars once and everyone else dropped at least 3 sets....

I had the pleasure of meeting Muse/Raw Legend.... And I was with General, who by the way debuted her now famous titties... Joke of the night...
But overall 'twas one of the best shows I've seen.

Tuboy

• http://www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-19
  • my heart is a house nucca, fear don't live here!
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
Was there enjoyed the show, damn it was packed and the floor was vibrating, and i met a couple of AG peeps, what up Rose,Beaker, Gifted Much, Dymize and Kellis!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:45:38 AM by Tuboy »
M Turn

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I hope someone has footage of the gig and of Moly's boobs. Sounds like I missed a good one.

Wonder who's gonna be at the next one.

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
I must say I enjoyed the show so very much at Zular, got bruises on my legs to prove it LOL. I’m really short so I rocked up there quite early ‘cause I wanted to stand in front. When it got full though I kept on getting pushed and my legs got a lot of knocks but who cares ‘cause I got a hug from Masta Ace whilst he was performing yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
LOL @ Lord Pyro, Molly's boobs facinated you that much hey.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
Watsup cousin.....Ja I also enjoyed myself there, was packed to capacity. I mean I was really blown away...the way the crowd responded to Masta Ace....was really LIVE. Met couple of cats as well. I left an hour later after Ace finished his performance.....Ace even confirmed that...even though it was his 1st time in Africa....1st performance (28-11-2008) in Africa...he felt that he gat some much love down here...... ;).

That makes me happy so that they can see that we are very much up to date about hiphop...!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:06:04 AM by Superb »
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
Kellis...I saw u....ohh so that was u......interesting....I was the dude rolling with Mark....Superb....remember...???
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
Yes!!!!!!!!! OMG I haven't seen mark in such a long time. LOL what do you mean interesting??

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Yeah,, it was packed and I had a good time.

I sort of lost interest in Masta Ace's set about half way into it. Too much of a trip down memory lane for my taste, but appreciated it nevertheless. He's a dope performer and really gave the crowd what they wanted.

You can't really complain about Kenzhero playing old tracks - that's the brand he has very successfully built up for Party People. It's very easy to say that he should be playing new (or different) music, but if he was the place would have probably been empty.

All in all it was a great night and well worth the R70 to get in.

Earlier in the evening I was at the Waterfront to support the Faculty of Hip Hop who are doing a 100 hour DJ marathon for Aids Awareness (those cats are even sleeping on stage in shifts!). Ready D and Azhul did a 20 minute session which blew my mind - I haven't seen DJing as innovative and technical difficult as that for a long time.