Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Behind the rainbow

Capt Schti

• Two sips from being a tyrant.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
Just watched the documentary, “Behind the Rainbow” about the transition of the ANC from liberation party to a mainstream one.
The doccie itself plays out like a neat, sanitized “Time” Magazine article; inside but not insightful, complete but not comprehensive- A famed international director made it.

The director’s decision to largely focus on the Mbeki/Zuma battle is correct one, as this drama and how it played itself out in the media and communities, I say played out as one of the interviewees points out that they was no difference between Mbeki and Zuma policy-wise up until the snafu started-which is true, is a microcosm of the struggle we have in the country, the uneasiness of the haves and have-nots alliance.
I believe that we all believe in hard work. That it trumps everything.
But, look at it this way, some 18 year old worked hard this past exams to get a university exemption at 20% pa** rate school that he can’t fulfill, whilst money makes and privilege continues to buy anything from a suspended jail sentence to a better education.
How do you reconcile that?                         

Of course if the story is Mbeki and Zuma, the plot is the “Arms’s deal”.   
To that issue I say the truth will likely never be known. Too much has been compromised- Legacies, comradeships, it feels like immediately after Mandela left, the party was turned into a high-school, jocks versus nerds where a life-long friend from primary school get ditched in a quest to climb the popularity ladder.
But this is sadder because there will not be those years of growth and introspection at university or wherever nor that reunion years later where hands and heads are shaken talking about those foolish years.               

As an ANC supporter I wish I could press the reset button, but such is life.
It might be a documentary but it does have its villains, heroes, henchmen and third man on the sofa’s, and here, I try to create a credit roll of some sort as I saw it –all opinions.     

Thabo Mbeki
Came off second worst, even his defenders had issues were they could not defend him. But the masterstroke was when they played that infamous last speech by Mandela as ANC president cautioning against “yes, man” leadership- talking about Mbeki, and followed by a clip of Mbeki joking about how he can never fit into Mandela’s shoes because there are too ugly. He did it wrong. It the hubris of smart people, they forget that not every occasion is about them.           

Jacob Zuma
Still has no business trying to run this country, but, people, there was a conspiracy, which of course he is/wasn’t smart enough to spot. Take the shower statement and multiply by a thousand and you get a picture of how this man will be as a president- my primary school teacher used to say “idrummie idrummie” this cat will embarra** us “until Jesus comes back”.           

Terror Lekota
The worse perfomer at an even worse time, what with COPE, launching and all. See I don’t truly believe that he is a lapdog per se, but judged on the comments attributed to him, he did to Mbeki what he hopes Malema will do to the ANC come election time. Snobbish, school-principalish and terrible.         

Ronnie Kasril
I’ve been watching some Western movies, and specifically “The Wild Bunch” by Sam Peckingpah, it’s a story about men whose time is coming to an end, old criminals who want to preserve the old honour among thieves code. 
He calls the time but fails to acknowledge the day of the week.
He was rightfully pleading for the principle that mad the ANC great, but wrongly never emotionally engages the other side. 
The problem with this approach is that it so dividing, and you’re never going to change the minds for those you oppose and you immediately turn off the undecided.

Like me. I felt like I was watching a guy throwing a frog into a pot and telling it’s chicken stew.               

Communications guy (?)
My surprise appearance was by this guy who was the ANC communications officer in the early 90’s, just after unbanning, clearly a Zuma symphatiser but until I see him on some government list or carrying Pres Zuma cell-phones, I still found his views most logical despite not agreeing with him on some issues.         

"I just want to enter my house justified" Bloody Sam

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
Must admit I was highly disappointed. All it did was merely reiterate what we know about the ANC and it's key players already. Nothing new or informative at all.

Capt Schti

• Two sips from being a tyrant.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
Must admit I was highly disappointed. All it did was merely reiterate what we know about the ANC and it's key players already. Nothing new or informative at all.

Yeah, but atleast it had no distortions and bias (as far as I know)...but yeah bland...or more like a cliffnote.     
"I just want to enter my house justified" Bloody Sam

That Bastard Crook

• I woulda told Mitch not-to-leave-Rico, and instead 'a' wearing chains rock-da-Steve-Biko
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +71/-25
  • Right-wing fascists call me "Die Swart Gevaar"
    • View Profile

Haven't seen it yet, but from the myriad reviews I understand it focuses on the falling out of "the Brothers in Arms" (Deal? ;D). The Middle-Eastern Director would have been better served focusing on the Arms Deal per se rather than the relationship between Mbeki and Zuma, (both of whom have been grilled by yours truly) or even on the ANC rumour-mill as to who exactly was behind the murder of the late, great Chris Hani.

Rumour has it that Chris Hani was "neutralised" to clear a path for the already-designated future leader Thabo Mbeki. Adding weight to this rumour is the fact that Thabo Mbeki then proceeded to sideline every other ANC Leader of his generation who posed an intellectual threat to the rule of his "Inner Circle" e.g. Cyril Ramaphosa, Tokyo Sexwale, Matthews Phosa, Pallo Jordan. Ask yourself this important question; would Thabo Mbeki have been able to become President with Chris Hani in the picture? You have to understand that Chris Hani was just as intelletually capable as Thabo Mbeki, but much more accessible and much more loved by the rank-and-file of the ANC (as well as Oliver Thambo) who viewed Mbeki as part of the aloof, all-knowing bougoisie that had just returned from exile. Just some food for thought.
At da Centre, it's Inventor of dis Art-of-Rap / Seida-Crook I'm da Genuine Artefact // Rappers know I spit Godly-Rap, I gave da Industry a Heart-Attack / Like "OH MY GOD-HE'S-BACK"!!!!!!! /

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
yo i didnt watch it either but as for my history...mkonto weziswe..the miltary wing...sorry for the spelling...was it mentioned etc?
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Haven't seen it yet, but from the myriad reviews I understand it focuses on the falling out of "the Brothers in Arms" (Deal? ;D). The Middle-Eastern Director would have been better served focusing on the Arms Deal per se rather than the relationship between Mbeki and Zuma, (both of whom have been grilled by yours truly) or even on the ANC rumour-mill as to who exactly was behind the murder of the late, great Chris Hani.

Rumour has it that Chris Hani was "neutralised" to clear a path for the already-designated future leader Thabo Mbeki. Adding weight to this rumour is the fact that Thabo Mbeki then proceeded to sideline every other ANC Leader of his generation who posed an intellectual threat to the rule of his "Inner Circle" e.g. Cyril Ramaphosa, Tokyo Sexwale, Matthews Phosa, Pallo Jordan. Ask yourself this important question; would Thabo Mbeki have been able to become President with Chris Hani in the picture? You have to understand that Chris Hani was just as intelletually capable as Thabo Mbeki, but much more accessible and much more loved by the rank-and-file of the ANC (as well as Oliver Thambo) who viewed Mbeki as part of the aloof, all-knowing bougoisie that had just returned from exile. Just some food for thought.

Cosign would've made far more interesting viewing and even in this doc they merely touched on it leaving me and I'm sure a lot more people with even more questions.

Eish conspiracy theorists... They banned a documentary last year because it eluded to the fact that TM killed Chris a bit suspect but extremely far fetched if you ask me. Surely by now the people arrested for Walus (sp) would've said something.

That Bastard Crook

• I woulda told Mitch not-to-leave-Rico, and instead 'a' wearing chains rock-da-Steve-Biko
  • AG Regular
    • View Profile
^^^^ Nah don't get me wrong Baldi, I ain't sayin' that TM layed the murder game or had it done for him. I'm just confused as to why only Chris Hani was a**a**inated. Surely if the "Third-Force" -type right-wing elements in the Apartheid regime wanted to derail the democratic process, they would've eliminated every potential future leader in a "blanket" Operation and not just one. They did have the capacity. Sound very suspicious that only Chris Hani got murdered. Suspicious enough for me to start thinking "inside job".
At da Centre, it's Inventor of dis Art-of-Rap / Seida-Crook I'm da Genuine Artefact // Rappers know I spit Godly-Rap, I gave da Industry a Heart-Attack / Like "OH MY GOD-HE'S-BACK"!!!!!!! /

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
^^^^ Nah don't get me wrong Baldi, I ain't sayin' that TM layed the murder game or had it done for him. I'm just confused as to why only Chris Hani was a**a**inated. Surely if the "Third-Force" -type right-wing elements in the Apartheid regime wanted to derail the democratic process, they would've eliminated every potential future leader in a "blanket" Operation and not just one. They did have the capacity. Sound very suspicious that only Chris Hani got murdered. Suspicious enough for me to start thinking "inside job".

Because at the time he was the leader of the South African Communist Party and a clear candidate at presidency and the apartheid government didn't want that because unlike Mbeki he wasn't diplomatic about shit, he was part of the Armed Wing military training and ish. Better believe had he been alive there wouldn't be any of this "We are the World" bullshit and the apartheid government at the time knew this.  He was a militant shit would've hit the fan.

That Bastard Crook

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
But by the same token TM himself was a revered member of Umkhonto WeSizwe, part of Joe Modise's Military Command. By the same token, why weren't Ramaphosa, Phosa and Jordan killed. All of them were prominent (at the time) militants with varying Trade Union, Leftist and Communist leanings and backgrounds. I am almost certain that there was some form of collusion from the highest ANC eschelons e.g. "....in exchange for ANC rule Chris Hani will have to be the 'sacrificial lamb', that's our final offer....."

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
they would've eliminated every potential future leader in a "blanket" Operation and not just one. They did have the capacity. Sound very suspicious that only Chris Hani got murdered. Suspicious enough for me to start thinking "inside job".

come on bro. like the other leaders were standing in line in front of Hani's house but only Hani was chosen. Hani was one of the people in the hit list but he it must have been just convinient for Conservative Party mofos to have him a**asinated first. His name was third on that hit list apparantly.

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
But by the same token TM himself was a revered member of Umkhonto WeSizwe, part of Joe Modise's Military Command. By the same token, why weren't Ramaphosa, Phosa and Jordan killed. All of them were prominent (at the time) militants with varying Trade Union, Leftist and Communist leanings and backgrounds. I am almost certain that there was some form of collusion from the highest ANC eschelons e.g. "....in exchange for ANC rule Chris Hani will have to be the 'sacrificial lamb', that's our final offer....."

The apartheid government didn't gracefully bow down from their position, they were "forced" by the rest of the world. With the sanctions put up they didn't have a choice, the ANC was destined to rule with or without them. Now what good is it to "slaughter" one of their own for something that was almost guaranteed. The only people that stood to gain anything from his death was them.

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
i dont know hey. sometimes im like uhm :-\ coz then im reading how you guys felt about this. and i just felt so differently. i experienced something else of this. or perhaps it was just the need to see it out there. see it outside of this context of the madness its become. maybe i just appreciated it being bound into some kind of cohesive package. to follow the moment. i dont know. the disclaimer has long said 'im a fairy'.

i also think there are scores who perhaps havent been able to engage with events the way we have, so for us maybe we're there already. but i think there are scores of people who got challenged to read things a little differently.   

i admit it wasnt anything knew really, though i must say it helped me sort out some fuzziness thats be hovering about in my own head with regards to where we are now. where we stand in the reshaping of the political landscape. particularly on how one reconciles ones understanding of COPE's formation and presence. there is a big question mark here. it a**isted in tying up some loose ends in my thought process. much lay in who was saying what, how and why. so to some extent, however slight i benefitted in some way from this. i suppose there is a lot that can be said, once you undertake to excavate each of the layers, on exploration of perspectives and angles of narrative. but i think its relevance can be found in its timing more than anything else because then it fits itself into the unfolding of a particular significant moment.

cpt, his name is victor moche, i think. i found him steady, grounded and clear in speak and i wondered where he has been. where his voice has been. 
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Baldi, can you hook me up with this doccie? Where can I get it?

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
i decided to do a quick check on this moche guy, coz i was interested last night. like who are you then.

whats interesting is that they titled him under communications (telkom - and he got the evil eye on telkom dragging its feet on most everything) and theres also some secret service summin, i fink or something like that. what they didnt say. or what i didnt see is the fact that he used to be a former ceo of denel - which puts him at the heart of defence at a time. thats interesting. says he was fired.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
i decided to do a quick check on this moche guy, coz i was interested last night. like who are you then.

whats interesting is that they titled him under communications (telkom - and he got the evil eye on telkom dragging its feet on most everything) and theres also some secret service summin, i fink or something like that. what they didnt say. or what i didnt see is the fact that he used to be a former ceo of denel - which puts him at the heart of defence at a time. thats interesting. says he was fired.

didnt know about him too and, coincidentaly, I met his daughter the night before.

cpt, his name is victor moche, i think. i found him steady, grounded and clear in speak and i wondered where he has been. where his voice has been.

true, but theres a lot he said that I disagreed with. made be distrust him half way through the doccie.