• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear

Anonymous

Quote:

So, has anybody else  seen HYPE and what do you guys think?

In 1998 Teresa Valente did a similar thing.
She tried to break into the urban market with a magazine.
The magazine was well put together, well populated with tight content.
The magazine even sold exceptionally well, much to the surprise of myself and other likeminded individuals.
DJ Rozzano X could not stop giving the magazine and its owners props.

What Teresa Valente and her partner Mark Tapnack did not understand is that if you go the the market without knowing how to speak in the language that the market understands (and i´m not talkin about the content of the mag), you are and will forever be FUKKED.

So Epic Culture is not around anymore.
Now we have HYPE. And from where I stand that´s all the magazine has been thus far - HYPE (who the dickens thought this title up??)

But the most visible thing from where I stand is that HYPE lives down the same road Epic Culture did.. just 2 houses further down..
If i´m not mistaken we´re about to see a magazine cover with Li´l Kim next.. or D12.. or even Usher.. whatever´s gonna keep the units rolling out and the Titos rolling back in. Don´t get me wrong.. i´m a capitalist myself.. but imagine Henry Ford employing nuclear physicists to build the first Model T. The man employed automotive engineers - PEOPLE WHO ATE, SLEPT, AND SHAT CARPARTS.

Therefore, if Hype do not wanna go the way of Tyranosaurus Rex.. they betta recognise - and handle their business.

Anonymous

Quote:

So, has anybody else  seen HYPE and what do you guys think?

In 1998 Teresa Valente did a similar thing.
She tried to break into the urban market with a magazine.
The magazine was well put together, well populated with tight content.
The magazine even sold exceptionally well, much to the surprise of myself and other likeminded individuals.
DJ Rozzano X could not stop giving the magazine and its owners props.

What Teresa Valente and her partner Mark Tapnack did not understand is that if you go the the market without knowing how to speak in the language that the market understands (and i´m not talkin about the content of the mag), you are and will forever be FUKKED.

So Epic Culture is not around anymore.
Now we have HYPE. And from where I stand that´s all the magazine has been thus far - HYPE (who the dickens thought this title up??)

But the most visible thing from where I stand is that HYPE lives down the same road Epic Culture did.. just 2 houses further down..
If i´m not mistaken we´re about to see a magazine cover with Li´l Kim next.. or D12.. or even Usher.. whatever´s gonna keep the units rolling out and the Titos rolling back in. Don´t get me wrong.. i´m a capitalist myself.. but imagine Henry Ford employing nuclear physicists to build the first Model T. The man employed automotive engineers - PEOPLE WHO ATE, SLEPT, AND SHAT CARPARTS.

Therefore, if Hype do not wanna go the way of Tyranosaurus Rex.. they betta recognise - and handle their business.

Arthur C. Van Wyk
INYOURFACE COMMUNICATIONS

Blaque_Poetess

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Personally i think HYPE magazine is terrible...its a localised version of The source/xxl/vibe. It has absolutely no south african flava, i guess the concept is tight, but honestly id rather read ymag(not that its any betta) but i really do feel that a hip-hop, a proper hip-hop mag is needed. One that will focus purely on the hip-hop movement here in SA. The media is a powerful tool, i mean look at pitch black afro, i mean that guy sux(in my opinion), yeah he might have SUM nice beats but come on now can we call him an mc???but the media has cla**ified him as an mc, so already he is one, the media has blown him up sooo much, to the extent that the guy sold more records in a month than skwatta have since their album release. Lets face it, skwatta is far more hip-hop than pitch black cud eva be. I think the media needs to re-evaluate its take on hip-hop, and start looking at the bigger picture, and if they expect this hip-hop movement to make it big, then they need to sit up and start taking notes. But u know what, we also cant blame the media, i think if sum1 has a solid plan, they shud make shit happen, instead of sitting back and just complaining....  :-o  :-o

born

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
f*** hype magazine
and f*** hype williams too for f***ing up the rap game
people see what they want to see. out of a ma** of detailed information, they tend to pick out those facts that confirm their prior perceptions and to disregard those facts that bring their perceptions into question" -someone

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
U know, its pretty funny but I havent even come close to a Hype mag yet.I so much would like to just see what´s in it and check its layout, etc.But I havent even gotten to that yet.

Guess if it aint at a second-hand bookstore, I probably wont see it too soon.Havent been to exclusive books lately either and I have a feeling they dont sell it there.That leaves me with CNA, which sells mags which r way over-priced, and finding my way to there is not too likely.But may, just maybe.......anyways.

As for Hype Williams, nah bra, dont hate on the flash vids.I luv me som Hype vids.That dude took music vids to a whole new level.The self-advertising element, so to speak.Now everbody be little X and them, but Hype´s still the original flash cat.

Its all good.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac