Out of Sight out of mind

t2da · 5 · 1858

t2da

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-10
    • View Profile
Thapelo’s Total Packaged Newsletter No.1

Hi,

For those who don’t know me I have been involved in Hip-hop for quite a while. I help hip-hop artists either get airplay, interviews, a**ist in their marketing etc. In the past few years of my involvement in Hip-hop, I have noticed how a significant number of artists have come up to me to help them with their albums, mixtapes or marketing as a whole. For this reason, I have decided to take out a monthly newsletter dealing with different issues regarding the industry; I hope it will be useful for those who are starting off their hip-hop careers or have being doing it for a minute.

Out of Site Out of Mind

The first newsletter will deal with Out of Site Out of Mind. This is to highlight the important fact that most Hip-hop artists get wrong; the thinking that not being in the people faces means your not irritating them. This is false. People forget very easily about whom you might be, what you have done, or what song of yours was a hit if you as an artist do not remain in the public’s face. Try this with me - which song was a hit in 2008? Keeping in mind that one will always remember a hit song that recently came out or one that they last heard.

So how do you stay current?

I can see artists thinking “is this guy saying I must do crunk or something?” No. It’s quite simple. As an artist you have different tools such as TV, Radio, the Internet and Print media with Magazines like HYPE to get yourself out there. For instance, if you have a single out, make sure you do remixes for it which means it can stay on radio longer and not became stale. I love referencing; remember when Busta Rhymes came out with Touch It, and then had 6 to 7 different remixes for the song - it felt like that song would never go off air. Every two months a new version came out, which meant more air play for one song. Another thing to do is to make sure you inform radio deejays or any other media about your current activities or any interesting information regarding you as artists; whether you’re in studio, performing or if you may be taking a 6 months break. It would also be advisable to inform them about how your break is going and about your future plans as an artist after your break is over.

Make sure you go to, or hustle interviews for yourself, even if you’re CD is releasing within the following year. Be smart and support those who you know are doing interviews or anything regarding media like video shoots, radio interviews and television interviews - it also keeps you in the public eye as well. Puff Daddy, Kanye West, Jay –Z, Common, Ludacris, Nas, Lil Wayne, 50 cents, Snoop Dogg, Pharell, LL Cool J and Eminem to mention a few, have mastered the art of staying current. You might say but they are mainstream - follow their careers and you will see a pattern.

These guys always have news surrounding their music at all times, whether it’s beef or movies, a name change or a comment on politics or the likes; these artists make sure that you don’t forget them. They are on Facebook, Myspace, Downloading sites and the Internet in general; making sure they keep you updated about their music. Take Jay-Z, he left and came back and in the midst of this made sure you knew his every single move. Puff Daddy made the most appearance on TRL MTV show, knowing how looking young and funky will help him be and stay on top of his market.

You might come back to me and say but TTP this aint working, I can’t get an interview or they are not writing enough about me or not enough people visit my website or Facebook page. It’s simple, be creative and think out the box – use other means, as your story at that time might not be relevant for radio or TV or it could just be bad timing. Nevertheless, you could also be on other artists’ songs, show up at other artists’ gigs wearing your Tee, do sessions, run competitions such as looking for singer to feature on your up coming song or a give-away of your last album or mixtape; anything that will get the ma**es to notice you, but most importantly your work.

I don’t want to go on and on like a house track, but I can’t stress how important it is to be, and to stay current. Books like “Who moved my cheese” can help one to understand this notion further, or help one follow successful artists and how they position themselves in the music industry.

In conclusion, I hope I have could be of some help and hope my newsletters will one day make a super star out of someone. If you have anything to add or even want to comment, contact me. I look forward to next month as I tackle a new topic.

Remember out of sight out of mind.

NB: How can I forget - advertise on HYPE Magazine to get mad exposure

Kind regards,
Thapelo TTP
Facebook: Thapelo TTP
Email:thapelottp@gmail.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:51:50 AM by t2da »

t2da

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
like to thank everybody who responded about the Newsletter m currently working on the 2nd one.keep the comments going on my facebook page will try reply and use them on my next Newsletter.

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
i missed this....
good work man, sum valuable pointers you got..
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

t2da

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
i missed this....
good work man, sum valuable pointers you got..
thanx just trying to give back,its very important that artists know what they getting themselve to.