Africasgateway.com

US hip-hop in Africa?

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
My Opinion

Music whether u like it or not says something... and whether we are aware of it or not we listen to what it says. Hip hop has been responsible for changin mindset the world over, whether good or bad. with that said its totally possible for that to happen in an african context (i mean why not)

The issue is whether corporates will provide the means by which it has to happen... u can only reach so much people as an artist not on a major label...

will a cash oriented major invest in someone who seems to be concerned about anythin else that what SA hip hop is concerned with right now?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Can't it be both?

it could, but then there's a conflict between the side that effects social change and the side that effects pocket change. and we all know how that ratio scales. this playing of both sides of the fence is too difficult and vague and unpredictable, often ending up ineffective.

I would argue that hip-hop in its present form already has made a social difference to thousands of South Africans. I can't quantify this, but I believe it to be true.

i would argue that it's also done a lot of harm, and that much more could be done by the numbers of young people it mobilizes under both its 'cool' and 'real' banners.

ANd besides, why should we be so scared of imitating the US? They invented it, and in my opinion, they still do it the best.

absolutely no problem in imitating the US musically. but to imitate a culture that started falling by the wayside in the late eighties, and apply it verbatim in a Thirld World country in 2009 is as culturally hegemonic - and not to mention pointless - as a South African Lil' Wayne.

through the kind of mimicry that gives you a myopic vision of your environment and its own unique lessons, can you ever hope to effectively negotiate social change for a better society? or do you end up knee-deep in shit, eyes staring up at the stars?

is it such a bad idea to keep hip-hop the form, the music, but do away with the culture? and in that way look for our own folk culture with an up-to-the-moment relevance? named something else?

look at the BCM for example. the focus was on young people and it was momentous and relevant. that's the kind of shit we should be regurgitating instead of cyclic bumper-sticker-phrases on knowledge of self and keeping it really real.

the obvious: we are not winning against corporations and hip-hop's voice is getting more vague and lethargic, weaker, muted and compliant.

the obvious: America is taking a huge stinking shit on us. why praise or even look up to them?

the obvious: Africa is in a crisis. hip-hop has some of the brightest and able people in our generation - IN NUMBERS.

the questions: are we just gonna drop dope shit and see what happens? why are we so afraid to create for ourselves?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:41:29 AM by 90's panic! »

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Can't it be both?

it could, but then there's a conflict between the side that effects social change and the side that effects pocket change. and we all know how that ratio scales. this playing of both sides of the fence is too difficult and vague and unpredictable, often ending up ineffective.

I would argue that hip-hop in its present form already has made a social difference to thousands of South Africans. I can't quantify this, but I believe it to be true.

i would argue that it's also done a lot of harm, and that much more could be done by the numbers of young people it mobilizes under both its 'cool' and 'real' banners.

ANd besides, why should we be so scared of imitating the US? They invented it, and in my opinion, they still do it the best.

absolutely no problem in imitating the US musically. but to imitate a culture that started falling by the wayside in the late eighties, and apply it verbatim in a Thirld World country in 2009 is as culturally hegemonic and pointless as a South African Lil' Wayne.

through the kind of mimicry that gives you a myopic vision of your environment and its own unique lessons, can you ever hope to socially negotiate yourself into a better society? or do you end up knee-deep in shit, eyes staring up at the stars?

is it such a bad idea to keep hip-hop the form, the music, but do away with the culture? and in that way look for our own folk culture with an up-to-the-moment relevance? named something else?

look at the BCM for example. the focus was on young people and it was momentous and relevant. that's the kind of shit we should be regurgitating instead of cyclic bumper-sticker-phrases on knowledge of self and keeping it really real.

the obvious: we are not winning against corporations and hip-hop's voice is getting more vague and lethargic, weaker, muted and compliant. America is taking a huge stinking shit on us.

the obvious: Africa is in a crisis. hip-hop has some of the brightest and able people in our generation. IN NUMBERS.

the question: are we just gonna drop dope shit and see what happens? why are we so afraid to create for ourselves?

Haha, OK, I get you. Don't agree with all of that but some good points.

SO what is mimicry and what isn't?
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

BaD AzZ KiLLa

• Died 10 yrz ago
  • Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-7
  • nigga me don back down, i co-sign groupie luv.
    • View Profile
    • yahoo
halla 90's panic eish u must change ya mohf***in pic coz it aint good at all,it start to freak my a** out and ya jacket its like it was god's one.change da shit got done u piss.
Da don wit da flow scary indeed vicious,woulda shoulda coulda...gonna make you pee

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
you know in art, criticism is usually divided into a formalist approach and a sociological one, right. technical craft and execution as opposed to narrative and ideology.

well im saying we should excessively copy and excessively improve, and f*** with the form. while we should leave the sociological aspects on American shores where they belong.

if we really can't let go we could create something that'd a**imilate hip hop into it.

man, i don't mean to sound like an a**hole or anything in this thread. i just don't wanna watch hip-hop, the BIG MAN, throw another weak, needle-wristed punch at establishment.