maggz

Myth · 121 · 40929

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Yeah,,, i agree with a lot of the comments above.

There is no doubt that Maggz has got talent and a killer smooth flow. However, the album is mostly way too generic. Bongz is a very musical dude and a great performer, but his production just sounds like too many big hits that are already out (and have been out for a while). If this was released in the States, people wouldn't be jumping on him for biting Akon / T-Pain. It's not just the auto-tune, it's the melody structures and the actual tone and sound of his voice. There's a track where Maggz sounds just like Lil Wayne with the auto-tune too. It undermines the fact that there are big tracks on the album, and big personalities behind them. Originality can't be underestimated. If you've got the talent, you need the direction too.

I really believe that Maggz and Bongz could be international artists if they took risks and came with a more original sound.

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
these comments just killed my anticipation for this ish.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
same here Liquidz...sounds like another album that's not worth buying.... :(

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i would still buy it if i was you. it's dope, just not the most original music ever made. I would have liked more Omen production on there too.

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
No, you should cop the album i think I expected to much from Maggz
9 tha Pedigree

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
Tried to get it over the weekend, ended up in a lengthy debate with the store manager about how they don't help local muso's
made the example of how all our stuff is shelved poorly and they don't put our posters up and promotional material, not to metion in the actual store they never play SA Hip hop always international guys and if they play local it's some boerMusiek or sum..
anyway needless to say I didn't get the Maggz and I've probably ruined my chances of being stocked there..(Top CD Cresta)
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
co sign on this thread, maggz is too ill, last time i heard him i thought he was american

dope flow, dope lyrics and dope swagger.......nice
Hood.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Tried to get it over the weekend, ended up in a lengthy debate with the store manager about how they don't help local muso's
made the example of how all our stuff is shelved poorly and they don't put our posters up and promotional material, not to metion in the actual store they never play SA Hip hop always international guys and if they play local it's some boerMusiek or sum..
anyway needless to say I didn't get the Maggz and I've probably ruined my chances of being stocked there..(Top CD Cresta)

Preach brother! :)

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile

There is no doubt that Maggz has got talent and a killer smooth flow. However, the album is mostly way too generic. Bongz is a very musical dude and a great performer, but his production just sounds like too many big hits that are already out (and have been out for a while). If this was released in the States, people wouldn't be jumping on him for biting Akon / T-Pain. It's not just the auto-tune, it's the melody structures and the actual tone and sound of his voice. There's a track where Maggz sounds just like Lil Wayne with the auto-tune too. It undermines the fact that there are big tracks on the album, and big personalities behind them. Originality can't be underestimated. If you've got the talent, you need the direction too.

I really believe that Maggz and Bongz could be international artists if they took risks and came with a more original sound.

Co-sign everything you said. Am curious though D. There was a time when you were lambasting rappers who 'sound American', saying they weren't representing SA. You seem to have taken a liking to M.A Dub. So, you've finally made peace with the fact that we all don't have to sound like Ben Sharpa, Rattex or PRO? Just curious coz at times you're not really consistent and contradiction tends to creep in. 
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
Im actually keen to hear this. The few joints i heard on metro were dope. The whole 'generic' music story is tired. Good music, is good music. Whether you play it and thoroughly enjoy it for a week and use it as a coaster for you ice cold beer a month later is irrelevant. 

Like most products today, they loose value once their purpose has been served. Nothing is made to last forever. Lets get with the program and stop whining about origionality.
Beating bitches since 1982.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
I'll buy it... if i can find it...
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Im actually keen to hear this. The few joints i heard on metro were dope. The whole 'generic' music story is tired. Good music, is good music. Whether you play it and thoroughly enjoy it for a week and use it as a coaster for you ice cold beer a month later is irrelevant. 

Like most products today, they loose value once their purpose has been served. Nothing is made to last forever. Lets get with the program and stop whining about origionality.

*yawn*

on the other hand, it's an interesting chapter in SA hip hop for anyone keeping score.

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile

*yawn*

on the other hand, it's an interesting chapter in SA hip hop for anyone keeping score.

Lol. You party pooper!
Beating bitches since 1982.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Co-sign everything you said. Am curious though D. There was a time when you were lambasting rappers who 'sound American', saying they weren't representing SA. You seem to have taken a liking to M.A Dub. So, you've finally made peace with the fact that we all don't have to sound like Ben Sharpa, Rattex or PRO? Just curious coz at times you're not really consistent and contradiction tends to creep in. 

I have never lambasted rappers who 'sound American'. Ben Sharpa sounds American. 50 Cent sounds American. MF Doom sounds American. Even KONFAB has a bit of a twang.

It's not so much about the accent, as it is about mimicry. How can South Africans ever be proud of something that is totally devoid of originality and takes all its cues from other artists on another continent?

Maggz and Bongz obviously have talent, but before I can consider either of them to be world-cla** artists, let alone amongst the best in SA, they have to do something original. I think this criteria can be applied to any artist from any continent. I'm not talking about groundbreaking, experimental, never-heard-before originality. I'm talking about bringing some element of their own flavour to the game - something that makes them unique artists in their own right. Wearing a GP fitted just isn't enough for me.

The thing is, it's not about what I want, it's about what the public wants. Gospel, traditional and House are outselling Hip Hop ma**ively. How many units did Da L.E.S. sell?

Threadz has a valid point. If you can get away with making a catchy auto-tune track that sounds exactly like T-Pain, good luck to you. It's just not what I aspire to.

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Da les sold 1500 units only, and hes the most popular rapper in SA at the moment, i dont have a problem with auto tune but the way them niggaz use it, Bongz is talented enough to come up with his own melodies, I dont understand y hes gotta be a mimic of akon/ T-pain and dream and Les is just a clone of every other rapper.
But like I said get the Maggz album its dope, I just think that he should have chosen other beats coz he aint a south rapper.
Its like when Crackboys record there are certain beats that I dont hop on coz im not comfortable
anyways tracks to look out 4 are, in your hood, malicious, haters and a couple of other dope 1s, get past the auto tune and youl c its actually 1 of the most solid albums to eva hit SA
9 tha Pedigree