Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

maggz

Myth · 121 · 41030

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
Panic n D...why dnt u cats open a new topic and take this debate further there....

im learning a lot

1ne
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i don't know. our mainstream hip hop has never been this close to stuff that's being produced in the 'mecca' that is America. it leads me to wonder what the next step will be - say five or six years from now - will we still be taking all our cues from the states, or by then will we have established the confidence to take bolder (albeit mainstream) risks? - or will we (like it could be argued now) be producing simultaneously and in sync with America and Europe a globalized hip hop?

the time lapse it usually takes for trends to precipitate down to our corner of the world has been considerably shortened by the internet - what cats are doing now is a direct result of this. even Ben Sharpa's work with Milanese takes it's cues from the electro-hop, ba**-rap party bunch big in America and Europe at the moment.

the difference is that Milanese is a recognised originator of that style.

The reason Ben is getting great reviews from European media and getting booked at festivals all over the world is because he is at forefront of a movement - not because he is mimicking current pop trends.

man, i was hoping this would be the point you'd give the least attention to. i mean i know about Milanese and Ben Sharpa is dope (though i'm not sure what movement you're referring to?), but what do you think of mimickry moving onto simultaneous production - Bongz and them playing equally in the field of global mainstream hip hop? i mean we can't say that these cats are completely devoid of a South African context (they refrence that shit throughout), and the mainstream anyway, has never been known for innovation. it's not just South Africans (or Africans actually) that bite these styles but it's a global thing that happens even in America (everyone bit T-Pain; the continent didn't just simultaneously come up with that shit). 

Milanese might be an innovator, but Playdoe's doing their thing here in SA and there's a lot of other guys with the same style popping up in America and Europe. is that mimickry?

what i'm asking is that now that we're doing what they're doing at more or less the same time, is it possible that sometime in the future, SA might set its own trends in globalized mainstream hip hop?

i mean it almost goes without saying that these cats (Bongz, Maggz etc.) would have blown up if they were from the states.

I don't think it goes without saying that Bongz and Maggz would have blown up if they were from the States (if you mean blowing up in the States). There are hundreds of thousands of dope rappers and producers out there (probably in every State). Only a tiny elite blow up. Generally this elite is derived from innovators at the front of the curve, not lagging behind it.

In marketing theory you have the innovation adoption curve which I believe can be applied to artists too.

http://www.valuebasedmanagement.net/image/picture_rogers_adoption_innovation_curve.gif

Innovators
Brave people, puling the change. Innovators are very important communication.

Early Adopters
Respectable people, opinion leaders, try out new ideas, but in a careful way.

Early Majority
Thoughtful people, careful but accepting change more quickly than the average.

Late Majority
Sceptical people, will use new ideas or products only when the majority is using it.

Laggards
Traditional people, caring for the "old ways", are critical towards new ideas and will only accept it if the new idea has become mainstream or even tradition.

Obviously this doesn't fit perfectly for music, but I think certain parallels can be drawn. Bongz and Maggz could be cla**ified as part of the late majority by their heavy use of well-established international pop trends, auto-tune and swag (respectively). However, what puts them ever further behind the curve is not simply the fact that they use these trends, but that they use them in a way that is so similar to T-Pain and Akon as to be almost indistinguishable from them.

T-Pain didn't invent auto-tune (it's been around since the 1970s as far as I know), but he blew it up in a new mainstream way. Even though he's pop, I still believe that he is an innovator as he created his own style of RnB / Snap / Hip Hop. He made it his own. Kanye also used it, but he did it in his own way. He also made it his own. Likewise with Lil Wayne (I'd never heard verses rapped through auto-tune until Weezy did it).

We have very little critical media in SA, so people can get away with blatant biting and no one calls it out. If you did that in Europe or the States you'd have no credibility as an artist because you'd be called out (or even worse, just ignored by the public and the media). It's pretty easy to tell the difference between innovation and biting. I don't think you need to be a music historian to know it when you hear it.

Obviously there is still a market in SA for Late Majority artists, but music like this will never set trends because the trend has already been well established. SA artists will only create international trends in mainstream hip hop when they take risks and do something original. However, it's not just as simple as creating innovative music. SA doesn't have worldwide media like the US does so, until that changes, SA artists will always have to go overseas but that's a different story.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:43:02 AM by Dpleezy »

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile
Y'all know you wouldn't be sayin this ish... if Lu was still with Bongz and 'em,, somebody will have been stabbed right now whatch ur mou ;Dth D.
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
I don't think it goes without saying that Bongz and Maggz would have blown up if they were from the States (if you mean blowing up in the States). There are hundreds of thousands of dope rappers and producers out there (probably in every State). Only a tiny elite blow up. Generally this elite is derived from innovators at the front of the curve, not lagging behind it.

even though i actually said "almost without saying" i don't agree with this as applied to mainstream hip hop. i think it's more a matter of timing, marketing, establishing an angle - and being, more or less, 'decent' on the mic or on the boards. all of which they could easily muster up if someone chose to give them the chance. how else would you explain Plies blowing up - Boosie, Gucci Mane, Webbie or even Whiz Khalifa? the basis of my statement is more or less based on my opinion that Bongz and Maggz are easily above average when it comes to mainstream hip hop in the US.

In marketing theory you have the innovation adoption curve which I believe can be applied to artists too.

Innovators
Brave people, puling the change. Innovators are very important communication.

Early Adopters
Respectable people, opinion leaders, try out new ideas, but in a careful way.

Early Majority
Thoughtful people, careful but accepting change more quickly than the average.

Late Majority
Sceptical people, will use new ideas or products only when the majority is using it.

Laggards
Traditional people, caring for the "old ways", are critical towards new ideas and will only accept it if the new idea has become mainstream or even tradition.

Obviously this doesn't fit perfectly for music, but I think certain parallels can be drawn. Bongz and Maggz could be cla**ified as part of the late majority by their heavy use of well-established international pop trends, auto-tune and swag (respectively). However, what puts them ever further behind the curve is not simply the fact that they use these trends, but that they use them in a way that is so similar to T-Pain and Akon as to be almost indistinguishable from them.

again, i can't quite agree with this. how can Bongz and Maggz be cla**ified under the Late Majority in mainstream hip hop when international urban charts echo the same sound? who makes up for the Innovator and the Early Majority then, if we confine it to the mainstream? have these people blown up or are they still being incubated?

T-Pain didn't invent auto-tune (it's been around since the 1970s as far as I know), but he blew it up in a new mainstream way. Even though he's pop, I still believe that he is an innovator as he created his own style of RnB / Snap / Hip Hop. He made it his own. Kanye also used it, but he did it in his own way. He also made it his own. Likewise with Lil Wayne (I'd never heard verses rapped through auto-tune until Weezy did it).

We have very little critical media in SA, so people can get away with blatant biting and no one calls it out. If you did that in Europe or the States you'd have no credibility as an artist because you'd be called out (or even worse, just ignored by the public and the media). It's pretty easy to tell the difference between innovation and biting. I don't think you need to be a music historian to know it when you hear it.

again, i don't think this can be applied to mainstream hip hop. you are allowed to sound the same (and it does!) so long as you have a gimmick or a backstory that sets you apart. an element that doesn't even have to be musical. just off the top of my head: listen to Weezy's "Yes", MIMS' "Move", and "What Up Man" by the Cool Kids - all tracks from seemingly divergent artists with the same basic sound template (and that's leaving out the Southern rappers!).

Obviously there is still a market in SA for Late Majority artists, but music like this will never set trends because the trend has already been well established. SA artists will only create international trends in mainstream hip hop when they take risks and do something original. However, it's not just as simple as creating innovative music. SA doesn't have worldwide media like the US does so, until that changes, SA artists will always have to go overseas but that's a different story.

the first bolded part: this is basically the basis of my question. i honestly believe following from where we are now, this could be the next logical step. in other words i think it will get to a point where SA no longer waits for American cues (for fads like auto-tune), but creates it's own, while still insisting on drawing from the basic mainstream ("sounding" American) template. meaning it might not necessarily be unique in a South African way, but it could be a fad from here that could take off or at least compete internationally.

the second bolded part is the only threat to this and it's something that's becoming easier to overcome through the internet.

i think Innovation in mainstream hip hop shouldn't be seen as necessarily that. it's more like popularization. fine, when we see the end product it's usually attributed to one 'genious' (Lil' Jon, T-pain, Souljah Boy), but beyond that these sounds are usually already popular in the small communities these 'genious's come from, and more often than not they're not the only ones doing it. it's just that some blow up and some don't, and this could be put down to something as trivial as personality quirks and/or appearance. 

and just as a matter of interest, have you heard the "Like You" remix at the end of Da. Les' album?

it's electro-rap.

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment
Its a shame that the likes of Bongz were critisized when Jozi came with muthaland crunk and is now seen as just copy cats when they do what is popular at the moment....

Anyway back to Maggz, im digging that kas'laam track is raw.. the chorus is just to nice

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Y'all know you wouldn't be sayin this ish... if Lu was still with Bongz and 'em,, somebody will have been stabbed right now whatch ur mou ;Dth D.

I was having this exact conversation with Lu last week. He's living in Atlanta at the moment primarily because he's got an album deal with Sony, but also because he doesn't believe the American sound will ever get him anywhere in SA (and won't be taken seriously outside of SA).

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

I was having this exact conversation with Lu last week. He's living in Atlanta at the moment primarily because he's got an album deal with Sony, but also because he doesn't believe the American sound will ever get him anywhere in SA (and won't be taken seriously outside of SA).

So what's the use of him going over there if he aint gonna be taken seriously.  Pardon me for my paranoia but I think you hatin'
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

So what's the use of him going over there if he aint gonna be taken seriously.  Pardon me for my paranoia but I think you hatin'

not hating at all... i'm not saying he won't be taken seriously in the US. i'm saying that American-sounding artists based in SA won't be taken seriously in the US (and Lu agreed, which is part of the reason he is there).

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

not hating at all... i'm not saying he won't be taken seriously in the US. i'm saying that American-sounding artists based in SA won't be taken seriously in the US (and Lu agreed, which is part of the reason he is there).

Call me stupid but you've just reitarated what you said on the first bolded paragraph.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Call me stupid but you've just reitarated what you said on the first bolded paragraph.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood you. How am I hating?

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
I saw Maggz perform at 88 a few weeks ago.. and I gotta say.. I was mildly dissapointed.. Maybe it had more to do with shitty sound, but it didnt translate the same energy as his recorded material...

Either way. Dude is nice with his. I been hearing some good reports abouts Jozi's trip out to Panama .. so maybe then we can get a good reflection of what it is that Americans really think about American sounding SA hip-hop...
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
I'm not attackin you here but I think you view of how "African" hip hop sppsed to be nowadays is only confined to your understanding which is "originality" that you keep talkin ala' your konfabs, sharpa etc, let's be real wether we like it or not the interned has made us more global in one way or the other if Sharpa is gettin love in europe then good looks for him, but to keep on coming with this old skool keep real ish...(disguised as originality) puttin down S.A artist who are trying to be global in their craft is plain hate.

@Ruthless "YOUR MAMA"

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I'm not attackin you here but I think you view of how "African" hip hop sppsed to be nowadays is only confined to your understanding which is "originality" that you keep talkin ala' your konfabs, sharpa etc,

Co-sign. Seems like it's mainly P-UNIT/Cape Town artists who are "original" in D's eyez. If your tryin to do BOOM-BAP your stuck in 90's. You doing CRUNK, your copying the latest trends. But if your doing that non-sensical spaced out shit your not immitating DEF JUX, your just being innovative.Oh, and ELECTRO is cool . Kasi rap is cool too, cos Prokid has done it, and done it well  ::)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:08:18 PM by MrTwoTeams »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
I'm not attackin you here but I think you view of how "African" hip hop sppsed to be nowadays is only confined to your understanding which is "originality" that you keep talkin ala' your konfabs, sharpa etc,

Co-sign. Seems like it's mainly P-UNIT/Cape Town artists who are "original" in D's eyez. If your tryin to do BOOM-BAP your stuck in 90's. You doing CRUNK, your copying the latest trends. But if your doing that non-sensical spaced out shit your not immitating DEF JUX, your just being innovative.Oh, and ELECTRO is cool . Kasi rap is cool too, cos Prokid has done it, and done it well  ::)

good points..

so crazy lu upped and left to ATL. lol! so i suppose the pole in the basement thing with bow wow might work huh!
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up