Africasgateway.com

Best phone to get?

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Okay geeks, what would you get for less than R6500?

The iPhone died a horrible death and I am looking for a new phone. I am thinking of the Omnia or the Blackberry Storm. Also looked at the Experia, but it is a bit out of my price range.

I need something with GPS (not that A-GPS rubbish, the real thing, with turn by turn navigation) Wi-fi and obviously 3G. It shoul;d also have at least 8 gigs of storage.

Deac, does the Omnia have proper GPs and if it does do you pay for navigation or is it free? Any other phones you guys would recommend?

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-15
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
What happened to the iPhone coz I was thinking of getting that?
Dn't have a comfort zone ,always have room for improvement.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Pyro probably f***ed it with all his tinkering. Mine is working perfectly.

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-15
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
Bt again,I checked out what they are offering at Vodacom for the iPhone (it's going for R185-00 pm)
Meaning every Tom,Dick & Herry will be having the phone.
I understand they are promoting it but not like that now. >:(
Dn't have a comfort zone ,always have room for improvement.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
Okay geeks, what would you get for less than R6500?

The iPhone died a horrible death and I am looking for a new phone. I am thinking of the Omnia or the Blackberry Storm. Also looked at the Experia, but it is a bit out of my price range.

I need something with GPS (not that A-GPS rubbish, the real thing, with turn by turn navigation) Wi-fi and obviously 3G. It shoul;d also have at least 8 gigs of storage.

Deac, does the Omnia have proper GPs and if it does do you pay for navigation or is it free? Any other phones you guys would recommend?

Yep its Garmin and the subscription supposed to last a lifetime

That not good enough for ya?

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
all i can say is stay away from the Blackberry Storm. it's a clusterf***.

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
all i can say is stay away from the Blackberry Storm. it's a clusterf***.
;D lmao, ow blackberry, damn thing gone wild...
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
BEEN trying to tell ya N97:

The N97 packs a 3.5-inch, 640 x 360 pixel (that's a 16:9 aspect ratio) resistive touchscreen display with tactile feedback and QWERTY keyboard into this sliding communicator with an "always open" window to favorite internet or social networking sites. Nokia calls it the "world's most advanced mobile computer." To back up the claim they've dropped in HSDPA, WiFi, and Bluetooth radios, A-GPS, a 3.5-mm headjack, 32GB of onboard memory with microSD expansion (for up to 48GB total capacity), and a battery capable of up to 1.5 days of continuous audio playback or 4.5-hours video. 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss gla** and "DVD quality" video capture at 30fps, too. The specs are certainly impressive, let's see if the S60 5th Edition OS can support it. The N97 will launch with a retail price set at around €550 ($693) excluding subsidies and taxes, phone to ship in H1 2009

Probably over budget. Oh. Nevermind me.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/

Maybe I'll stay with Nokia after all.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I didn't mess it up with my tinkering. In fact, it was a much better phone after my tinkering than when I got it. It could do things that no regular iPhone can do.

I was running up the stairs at work, just before I left Jo'burg and it fell out of my shirt pocket, 3 floors down, all the way to the basement. Gla** phones don't like that kind of thing, so it kinda shattered.

I don't wanna get another iPhone cos I want a phone that has all the extras and abilities that I had on the iPhone, without all the hours I had to spend on cracks and jailbreaks etc.

Tate, I would kill for a N97, but they aren't available in SA yet, or at least they weren't last time I spoke to my Vodacom connect. It would also probably be way above my budget, so I don't even wanna think about it too much.

Deac, where did you get yours and for how much, if I may ask?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:27:58 PM by Ignorance the Asskicker »

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
I didn't mess it up with my tinkering. In fact, it was a much better phone after my tinkering than when I got it. It could do things that no regular iPhone can do.

I was running up the stairs at work, just before I left Jo'burg and it fell out of my shirt pocket, 3 floors down, all the way to the basement. Gla** phones don't like that kind of thing, so it kinda shattered.

I don't wanna get another iPhone cos I want a phone that has all the extras and abilities that I had on the iPhone, without all the hours I had to spend on cracks and jailbreaks etc.

Tate, I would kill for a N97, but they aren't available in SA yet, or at least they weren't last time I spoke to my Vodacom connect. It would also probably be way above my budget, so I don't even wanna think about it too much.

Deac, where did you get yours and for how much, if I may ask?

copped my joint for 6k at the premiumstores.co.za site im not sure if they're still in business

That not good enough for ya?

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Just had an idea.

I already got a new Nokia Navigator, so instead of buying another smartphone, I'm gonna stick with that, get a new iPod and a new external 1 Terabyte HD with the cash instead.

Makes more sense than getting another phone I think.

Thanks though.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
i would have recommended the tytn II. its running super quick with the mods i installed and has endless apps! including a playstation 1 emulator
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I actually looked at it last night before deciding to go with multiple gadgets instead of one.

I got a new 120 gig iPod this morning. I bought it from Hi-FI Corp for 3599 bucks, then went and got a quote from Game, where it costs R3499. Hi-Fi Corp guarantees to beat any price and refund you 105%, so I ended up getting the thing for R3200 and extra money back. Then I got the terabyte HD.

I was rather happy.

Once I start work in Lesotho next month I can start investing in gadgets again. Hopefully by then the N97 will be available here.

I saw it on that site Deac gave me. You can pre-order it for R10 500.

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
Sounds like u made gud with yo money Pyro...nyc 1 ;)

I still hav to upgrade mine, nashua sends me a message every week that i must upgrade, but i really dont know wat to get, i'm still happy wit my n81.... I thot of gettin 1 with a navigator, but isn't it simpler to just buy a garmin nuvi...?

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Once I start work in Lesotho next month I can start investing in gadgets again. Hopefully by then the N97 will be available here.

I saw it on that site Deac gave me. You can pre-order it for R10 500.
For all you iPhone fanboys read this & weep:
http://www.nokian97forum.com/general-lg-viewty-discussion/((-n97-vs-iphone-3g))-full-comparison-andgt/