Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hype April/May

t2da

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-10
    • View Profile

@ROB 1
i here you saying m writing is not up to scratch...how about you review the same cd and lets here what you will say. its funny how the artists is saying something different from the label.I WONT DO U ROB 1 OR ANYBODY ELSE BUT MOST DEF WRITE IN MY STYLE CAUSE THATS WHAT I KNOW BEST.

hear

;D

writing style.... :D ..... jokes man!!!

No 1s perfect!!!
thanks CHEF for editing it just sick n tired of people always complaining but hip-hop is going back cause we never support. @Rob 1 y not send ur EP
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:03:54 PM by t2da »

msdeane

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-13
  • Complex Simplicity
    • View Profile
Got this yesterday. WOW !!! Wackest Hype CD ever.

even the Ras track... Take time? ???
Msdeane the Queeeeeen!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
You know I hate to be critical, but the review of B. Sharpa is terrible.

The reviewer starts by asking "Was it (the album) worth the wait?". This question is never answered.

You can't review an album by just describing what a few of the tracks are about! Sure, you can pick up on themes that run through an album, but to state that, "Ben Sharpa points out the wrong-doings of the government in most of his tracks", is just factually incorrect. Maybe 3 or 4 out of 21 tracks have anything to do with the government.

The reviewer also states, "Callin' It Quits (We're Here) is on that boom bap tip as it sets a tone for the rest of the album". Again, factually incorrect!! How can anyone call a track by Milanese 'boom bap'!? If you read this review you'll have no idea what the album is actually like. There's only one track on the album that can be called boom bap.

Cats should really start exposing themselves to some international music reviews and up their game!

i c u D planet ok so my review was terrible cause i c u dont read well, so ill break it down to and how i review albums. 1 i spend days listening to albums, over and over again to the point my girl wants to kill me.2. i did answer if the album was worth waiting for if u read my last line of the review.3.about the boom bap its funny that i spoke to Ben b4 he left for France and he understood what i was speaking about, he called it future sound so he couldnt even discribe it.4. government, lol government well i said socio economics issues which are pointed at who? the government....Ben thought the only thing wrong about my review was i said he took too long well which is a fact.so please read it again and listen to the cd again before you attack me...u guys will never be happy anyway cause u have ur Ben best at heart

Ok...

Point 1. I never claimed that you didn't listen to the album.

Point 2. You didn't answer whether or not you thought the album was worth the wait. In the last line of your review you say the album is "quite well constructed", before saying, "Oh! Kaptin My Kaptain lead the army to victory... a true warrior indeed." Maybe I'm being pedantic, but that doesn't answer the question. Was the album worth the wait? Well was it?...

Point 3. We have found many ways to describe Ben's music (Robot Army Music, Soundsystem Music, Glitch Hop, Dub Hop, Hybrid etc etc). It's all there in the press release if you wanted a few pointers. You're even admitting Ben called it 'Futuresound' yet you still call it 'boom bap'. It's just factually incorrect. Imagine if Mr. C goes to Musica and buys B. Sharpa based on your review... when he gets home and plays it, he's going to be very disappointed that there's only one track that could be described as anything like boom bap. Just look how much people are bitching about Mos Def not doing his normal hip hop shit,,, that's because they were expecting something else.

Point 4. I'm going to ignore the comment about me listening to the CD cause that's just plain stupid. Maybe you should re-read your review though because you mentioned 'socio economic issues' in reference to 'Check the Evidence 08'. You go on to say that you thought the album was 'conceptualised around that (socio-economic issues) and Ben points the wrong-doings of the Government in most of his tracks". He does NOT point out the wrong-doings of the Government in most of his tracks. As I said previously, there are maybe 2 or 3 tracks that are about the Government. Again, you could have just dipped into the press release... "On B. Sharpa, Ben addresses corporate greed, the media, the music industry, politics, the struggle of the downtrodden in the African continent, the ecology and the art of emceeing."

While we're on the subject... Zubz's album got reviewed as "another damn cla**ic!" and "a compelling body of work that deserves cla**ic status". He gets given 5/5 for lyrical content, 4/5 for delivery, 3/5 for production and 4.5/5 overall. Sharpa gets 4/5 for lyrical content, 4/5 for delivery, 4/5 for production and 4/5 overall. How does that work? I mean, the grades average out as the same, yet Zubz's album gets .5 more overall and described as a 'cla**ic'. Sharpa's album is described as 'quite well put together' - how much more luke warm can you be?!

I'm not asking you to give Ben's album a better rating or give it more praise than you did, I'm just asking you to get the facts straight. Your review mis-represents the music which doesn't do the artist or Hype's readers any good.

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile

@ROB 1
i here you saying m writing is not up to scratch...how about you review the same cd and lets here what you will say. its funny how the artists is saying something different from the label.I WONT DO U ROB 1 OR ANYBODY ELSE BUT MOST DEF WRITE IN MY STYLE CAUSE THATS WHAT I KNOW BEST.

hear

;D

No 1s perfect!!!
thanks CHEF for editing it just sick n tired of people always complaining but hip-hop is going back cause we never support. @Rob 1 y not send ur EP

I dare u rob!!!!!
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

I'm not complaining - I'm raising issues of fact for discussion. It's called critique and it can be applied as much to journalists as it can to musicians.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Got this yesterday. WOW !!! Wackest Hype CD ever.

even the Ras track... Take time? ???

one of the few tracks i liked.  ;) ;) ;)
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
I quote-"Hype magazine is nothing more than a disease or small pox"

@D_planet-----Wasnt it one of your artists that said it D-Planet? If so then why are you still sending your music to hype mag?

@Rob----Lol send the ep and the singel thundergod.  ;D ;D

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

@D_planet-----Wasnt it one of your artists that said it D-Planet? If so then why are you still sending your music to hype mag?

Trusenz said those lines in Chickenhawk, a diss track aimed at Fungayi when he was talking trash about me in Hype mag (back when he was the editor).

I didn't send the CD to be reviewed, I just gave a copy to Mizi when I bumped into him. He called me a few days later and was raving about the CD.

Like I said, I respect people's varying opinions, but I do expect things to be factually correct. I support Hype magazine 100% but that doesn't mean I can't criticise it.

However, I do believe that the standard of music journalism in SA is short of what it should be.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

@ROB 1

hear

;D

No 1s perfect!!!

I dare u rob!!!!!

@AA and Explicit: Sent it to Simone ages ago. Mizi too. And Thunder God isn't the single  :)

I've written for Hype fairly extensively in the past, so it would be difficult for them to review it. I don't consider myself well-known enough to be given the Zubz treatment here. Hey, if anyone reviews the album, great, but I've no reason to beliieve that Hype will.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile

Trusenz said those lines in Chickenhawk, a diss track aimed at Fungayi when he was talking trash about me in Hype mag (back when he was the editor).

I didn't send the CD to be reviewed, I just gave a copy to Mizi when I bumped into him. He called me a few days later and was raving about the CD.

Like I said, I respect people's varying opinions, but I do expect things to be factually correct. I support Hype magazine 100% but that doesn't mean I can't criticise it.

However, I do believe that the standard of music journalism in SA is short of what it should be.

Point taken! true that but i heard the track and quiet afew punches was aimed at hype magazine and not fungayi! Hence the line i quoted is intended at hype magazine dude.

Honestly I do feel your blowing hot air in the direction of ttp! if you got a problem with the way he writes approach him at hype magzine dont make shit a public issue and then cry your eyes out! Come on dude your the CEO act like one.

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
Zubz's album got reviewed as "another damn cla**ic!" and "a compelling body of work that deserves cla**ic status". He gets given 5/5 for lyrical content, 4/5 for delivery, 3/5 for production and 4.5/5 overall. Sharpa gets 4/5 for lyrical content, 4/5 for delivery, 4/5 for production and 4/5 overall. How does that work? I mean, the grades average out as the same, yet Zubz's album gets .5 more overall and described as a 'cla**ic'. Sharpa's album is described as 'quite well put together' - how much more luke warm can you be?!

HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO AT THE MATH ON THIS HA HAHAH!!!  :D :D :D

5 + 4 + 3 = 12 : 3 = 4.5! HAHAHAHA (EPIC) F.A.I.L!  ;D ;D

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Point taken! true that but i heard the track and quiet afew punches was aimed at hype magazine and not fungayi! Hence the line i quoted is intended at hype magazine dude.

Honestly I do feel your blowing hot air in the direction of ttp! if you got a problem with the way he writes approach him at hype magzine dont make shit a public issue and then cry your eyes out! Come on dude your the CEO act like one.

I haven't got a problem with the way TTP writes, I merely pointed out some inaccuracies in what he wrote. We're all on AG to discuss shit that pertains to hip hop in a transparent, public way. TTP puts himself as much out in the public domain when he writes as my artists do when they release music. Neither is immune to public critique.

Journalists have a responsibility to their editor, their readers and the musicians they write about, to make sure what they write is factually correct. As I keep saying, I don't care what opinion a journalist gives as long as what is written is factually correct.

This isn't an 'official' issue between Pioneer Unit and TTP or Hype magazine so you can fall back with your 'act like a CEO' nonsense. Instead of telling me what I should do, why don't you put forward an opinion on the matter at hand? You can start by listening to B. Sharpa and telling me if you think 'boom bap' is a good description of the musical style.

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
Yo Ttp, next time you review any album that comes out of Dplanet's camp, remember to call him so he can tell you what to write. If you'd rather not call him, just give the artist 5/5 and remember to mention how great of a CEO Dpleezy is.
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
LMFAO.
AG be hating on damien...

whatup with that?
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Yo Ttp, next time you review any album that comes out of Dplanet's camp, remember to call him so he can tell you what to write. If you'd rather not call him, just give the artist 5/5 and remember to mention how great of a CEO Dpleezy is.

So are you supporting the idea that journalists can just write anything they want, even if factually incorrect?

If Hype did a piece on you and they said you were a 3ft tall Mexican homosexual would you be cool with that?

Just in case you don't know the difference between fact and opinion, let me break it down for you...

Fact:
"The album has 12 tracks all produced by J Dilla. It was recorded in New York in 2001.

Opinion:
"I didn't like the album, it lacked a clear vision and direction. The tracks sounded as though they had been thrown together in a hurry."

I think this is the third time I'm saying it... I don't care what opinion a journalist offers. I don't care if the journalist likes what they are reviewing or not. All I care about is that it is factually correct.