Hype April/May

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment
True, I get your point...the powers that be at Hype should put up S.A artists more in the spotlight and give other 'African Hip Hop' acts their space...if you feel underrepresented,then you can only imagine what the rest of Africa feels! We get the magazine,and know what goes on over there, what is the use of exporting?Why have a inward industry...lets build/collab and spread it across the continent and diaspora...otherwise its worth a try, I know the buyers want Luda! but why not empower local acts by showing that they are just as glamarous and talented!

Truth be told that if hype expands to other african countries the less South Africans will care bout it... There is still alot to be done for us to accept our own hip hop artists b4 we can even think of the rest of the continent... But that doesnt mean that we cant do a few collabs here and there

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
yo Zed i meant to say that i think most heads in SA have little interest in hip hop outside our borders.

i fully co-sign you on the export thing, though. it's bullshit to shop the mag to heads in other countries, and not have even a single section that hints at their existence (?).

that's not cool.

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Hype is spreading alot at least in southern africa...there is need to have more stories/interviews on what is happening in other countries and it wouldnt hurt to have a couple of hype sessions of non s.a artists, you need to know what is happening beyond s.a borders...

I think SA hip hop is underrepresented enough already. I'm not keen on giving up valuable space to non-SA artists. I already resent Luda taking our space.

I can't agree with that statement! Mizi has said this on a number of threads! Local covers sell less than International covers! They are keep the mag moving or else it will sink like Y magazine did afew months ago.

@D

Who do you think deserves a cover? and why?

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
Hype is the only hip hop magazine. They dont have any competition. They should be able to take risks coz niggaz only check for them anyway. Even if they put a monkey on the cover niggaz would still cop it coz they are the only SA hip hop mag around. This is the time when they should be pushing the envelope coz they dont have to worry about competitors doing bigger numbers than them. I think most people would like to read what's inside not just whats on the cover. Moving away from safe-mode would be a cool thing to do. Hype does a lot to make sure that unknown rappers get exposure and Id like to see that continue. Taking more risks would be dope coz it'll tough for them to do so when one or two more mags pop up. 
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

ree

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-2
    • View Profile
tif you want the rest of africa to be a part of your market base you have to expose our music as well.that simple
illuminatemusic.blogspot.com
myspace.com/illumin_8

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
tif you want the rest of africa to be a part of your market base you have to expose our music as well.that simple

i think it works both ways.

it would be quite nice to have some of the agians who arent from here painting consistent portraits of their landscapes for us. along lines similiar to these. a wholistic look beyond just some of the music that is being shared.

what is the industry like where you call home. how are things working. for instance what kinds of publications do you have at your disposal. what are your channels. what are your challenges. youve got that power in representation too. it would be quite useful to begin to have those kinds of conversations. i think they have more to them then.

nevermind south africa and whats happening here, and what we may or may not be able to offer. whats happening there. what are avenues available for south african artists there also.

perhaps hype should begin to have that kind of platform, there is something to be said for widening spaces. its important. and also interest is something that can be created in people. it wont ever be everyone ofcourse but the few shouldnt be seen as no one. 

i do however think that progress shouldnt necessarily be deemed as one sided.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
Nobody deserved the cover according to me, bobody made a noise for the past 2 months or maybe I have just bin deaf
9 tha Pedigree

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Hype is the only hip hop magazine. They dont have any competition. They should be able to take risks coz niggaz only check for them anyway. Even if they put a monkey on the cover niggaz would still cop it coz they are the only SA hip hop mag around.

I'm all for taking risks, but I believe that this statement is not true. From what I understand, there is always a noticeble difference between local and international covers. international covers always sell more than local. Like there is a big difference between Jay Z cover and Ben Sharpa cover. This may be because Jay Z has appeal with more than "heads" . So they get more buyers. To me it sounds like they are competing with other youth mags, e.g. Y mag (if it still exists).

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo

I'm all for taking risks, but I believe that this statement is not true. From what I understand, there is always a noticeable difference between local and international covers. international covers always sell more than local. Like there is a big difference between Jay Z cover and Ben Sharpa cover. This may be because Jay Z has appeal with more than "heads" . So they get more buyers. To me it sounds like they are competing with other youth mags, e.g. Y mag (if it still exists).

I'm sure stats could support your argument. Perhaps the season in which the issues came out could also be a contributing factor.. I may be wrong but Wasn't the Jay-Z cover out during Christmas time?

But, yeah it is a bit warped that a cover could have so much power over an established magazine. Surely the majority of Hype supporters don't just buy a magazine for the cover story? Especially seeing that the international covers are not providing "breaking" or "exclusive" news?

Maybe the main problem with local covers is, for the most part, industry cats all think they deserve one, so their seldom happy with having another local industry cat on the cover before them? A ton of local hip hop heads in the country always ask questions like "what has so and so ever done to deserve a cover?".
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

I'm all for taking risks, but I believe that this statement is not true. From what I understand, there is always a noticeable difference between local and international covers. international covers always sell more than local. Like there is a big difference between Jay Z cover and Ben Sharpa cover. This may be because Jay Z has appeal with more than "heads" . So they get more buyers. To me it sounds like they are competing with other youth mags, e.g. Y mag (if it still exists).

I'm sure stats could support your argument. Perhaps the season in which the issues came out could also be a contributing factor.. I may be wrong but Wasn't the Jay-Z cover out during Christmas time?

But, yeah it is a bit warped that a cover could have so much power over an established magazine. Surely the majority of Hype supporters don't just buy a magazine for the cover story? Especially seeing that the international covers are not providing "breaking" or "exclusive" news?

Maybe the main problem with local covers is, for the most part, industry cats all think they deserve one, so their seldom happy with having another local industry cat on the cover before them? A ton of local hip hop heads in the country always ask questions like "what has so and so ever done to deserve a cover?".

Interesting points.

Mind Bendah

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile

Interesting points.

True story. I think the fact that we even have local kats on the cover is an accomplishment. If the sales are more when an international artist is on there then from a business perspective it would be wise to stick to the international covers then.

My poetry is floetry i pour words but not consciously it aint hard to see the God in me when i pour words that flow fluently. . .

My poetry is not deep . . . Its simple street slam

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
thats the reason i stopped coppin that ish, perhaps ill start buying it again by 2020
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
why can't 'hype' be like 'one small seed'?

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

Interesting points.

True story. I think the fact that we even have local kats on the cover is an accomplishment. If the sales are more when an international artist is on there then from a business perspective it would be wise to stick to the international covers then.

What are you talking 'bout? This is a South African magazine!