Africasgateway.com

Hype April/May

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I've been hearing about this Chicken Hawks track and i've never heard it  :-[ D you mind sharing  ;D

PLEASE!!! i aint heard it neither

Here you go...
LINK REMOVED/?junjiz2yynl

Tuboy

• http://www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-19
  • my heart is a house nucca, fear don't live here!
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
I've been hearing about this Chicken Hawks track and i've never heard it  :-[ D you mind sharing  ;D

PLEASE!!! i aint heard it neither

Here you go...
LINK REMOVED/?junjiz2yynl

Thanks D  ;)
M Turn

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/

Everyone else is on this thread complaining about how KGB f***ed up the tracks on the Hype CD by scratching all over them. How come you don't jump on their backs telling them to stop bitching and be grateful?

Im not saying people should not complain. And i agree with them.The scratching was WACK. You just seem to complain all the time. Say thanks @ times, show some love. Stop trying to put down everything about SA. That's all you ever do.The SAMA's, the ACCENT's, people choosing to do the music they do, HYPE, EVERYTHING dude. U GOT A PROBLEM WITH EVERYTHING.like all of this here you really could have just ignored. It was a good review @ the end of the day. That's what people will look @. I don't think the "FACTS" that you say have been misconstrued will have an effect on how people look @ the album. The consequences are not that huge,so is it really worth it going six pages deep and u and T going @ it like u are ?  Ya'll both need each other in this game as far as i am concerned and ya'll are straining ya'll's relationship over petty little "NOTHINGS". WORTH IT ? I don't know.

I cosign as well!

@D you still havent answered my question! "If Hype is nothing more than a disease of smallpox then why are you wasting your time submitting articles and the rest? Yes Fungayi was editor at that time but shots were taken at hype magazine specifically!

Im sorry to say this but D you really do have double standards! If your artist doesnt grace the cover or doesnt get a good review you breaking into tears, Come on dude! You want 5 stars then make a cla**ic record period!

Are you being willfully ignorant?...

I have answered your question. I said that line was from a diss track aimed at Fungayi who was the editor of Hype magazine at the time. I support Hype magazine 100% now that Mizi is in charge. It's a very simple concept to understand. I don't know why you're trying to stir shit up - oh, I forgot, you're a journalist ;)

Anyway,,, good luck to all of you that support journalists being able to write whatever they want.

btw d, this cat has been coming sideways at you for minute...
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Just wanted to give an contrasting example of what was written about B. Sharpa in Trax magazine in France...

"A concentrated blast of digital hip hop: the flow is hard, the beats slamming. The themes are hardcore, but there is a kind of funky nonchalance that is very contemporary.

Deep, like a hybrid between post-rave dubstep and hard-working old-skool rap, this album is a most unlikely, but essential dancefloor crossover."

I'm not posting this to show off or big Sharpa up,,, just as an example of writing that gets across the idea of what the album sounds like.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
"This mini-album features intense, virtuoso rapping from rising South African MC, Ben Sharpa, and electronic sounds that writhe and warp around the beat like living things. Dark, strange and very wonderful.”

Mixmag (UK)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
“Heavy rhythms and electro artifacts resonate like a jump of pride. Scratching the contemporary sound with a warlike ba**line referencing Roots Manuva or Ty. Gluttonous and curious, he disrupts UK Grime with his East Coast tidal wave. He cracks Dizzee Rascal’s varnish, and competes with Virus Syndicate.” (translated from French)

- Tsugi Magazine (FR)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
“Here in SA, a new generation of conceptual hip-hop heads are charting new rhyme territories. Soweto-born underground hero Ben Sharpa’s debut B. Sharpa manages to violate your brain and set your a** boiling. His raps are a whip of agitprop street academia, internet references, science fiction and pop culture, while production combines everything from Sega sound effects to electro-industrialism - a managerie of gritty cop-show out-takes and synth swoops that will evoke the nightmares of b-boys of old.”

- GQ Magazine (SA)

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Dplanet.. I feel you.. I think you have been very harshly targeted and abused in this thread..

The problem with album reviews is that their based on interpretation and in some cases pre-existing bias. In SA there general opinions about Sharpa are either favorable or unfavorable. There is no in between. This is highlighted by the highly contrasting local reviews. On a street level i either hear hate or love for Sharpa, never any people who are indifferent. The funny thing is these opinions are usually formed without anyone picking up a sharpa cd.

Your more likely to get an objective Sharpa review internationally where the bias (favorable or unfavorable) doesn't exist.

With regards to the French piece you posted, that's an interpretation that you share with the reviewer but it could have gone either way if their interpretation clashed with yours.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile
Dust the dirt off ur shoulders D ;D
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
“Here in SA, a new generation of conceptual hip-hop heads are charting new rhyme territories. Soweto-born underground hero Ben Sharpa’s debut B. Sharpa manages to violate your brain and set your a** boiling. His raps are a whip of agitprop street academia, internet references, science fiction and pop culture, while production combines everything from Sega sound effects to electro-industrialism - a managerie of gritty cop-show out-takes and synth swoops that will evoke the nightmares of b-boys of old.”

- GQ Magazine (SA)

...and...and...YES! Ladies and Gentlemen, his head has disappeared up his own backside!!! This is incredible!!! ;D

Nah, I think D got the short end in this thread. All he's been doing is criticising shoddy writing and he's getting the snot kicked out of him.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
where ttp at? lmao!!!!
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile

- GQ Magazine (SA)

Miles Keylock is the best music journalist writing in SA - and one of the best doing it internationally. dude has been at it for years and his knowledge of music genres and their fusion; post-modern tamperings, meetings and mashes; and hyper-consumed popular culture dating from the 70s to the present, is nothing short of encyclopaedic. he writes across genres easily and is always, always informed - not so much because of research but because of access .

if youre getting these type of reviews why bother yourself with a blurb from hype? (no offence ttp). the thing is to even appreciate this kind of writing (to follow the references) you need to have a cosmopolitan mindset. the quoted magazines set out to demand this from their readers. hype? not so much. its as straight laced as they come. hip hop elementary if anything. so id say factual f*** ups and all ttp held it down for the hype bunch. he spoke their language and their references.  again no offence ttp, but i thought it was common sense to know what to expect in terms of quality from a  publication. i wouldnt be surprised by mediocre writing in Y mag or the Sun for example.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile

- GQ Magazine (SA)

Miles Keylock is the best music journalist writing in SA - and one of the best doing it internationally. dude has been at it for years and his knowledge of music genres and their fusion; post-modern tamperings, meetings and mashes; and hyper-consumed popular culture dating from the 70s to the present, is nothing short of encyclopaedic. he writes across genres easily and is always, always informed - not so much because of research but because of access .

if youre getting these type of reviews why bother yourself with a blurb from hype? (no offence ttp). the thing is to even appreciate this kind of writing (to follow the references) you need to have a cosmopolitan mindset. the quoted magazines set out to demand this from their readers. hype? not so much. its as straight laced as they come. hip hop elementary if anything. so id say factual f*** ups and all ttp held it down for the hype bunch. he spoke their language and their references.  again no offence ttp, but i thought it was common sense to know what to expect in terms of quality from a  publication. i wouldnt be surprised by mediocre writing in Y mag or the Sun for example.

INDIRECT ETHER!!!!! LOL
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

Hip Hop Fan

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-8
    • View Profile

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

- GQ Magazine (SA)

INDIRECT ETHER!!!!! LOL

this belongs to the ether thread ;D ;D ;D ;D