• View Profile
    • Discogs

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:35:28 AM by watziznehmegin »

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
HipHop is alive in Togo for real, the tags are very very nice...but i cant help but say the rasta influence is seemingly more profound, any explanations to that, not clued up on the history of the country, maybe this will help eliviate my ignorance?

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
but i cant help but say the rasta influence is seemingly more profound, any explanations to that, not clued up on the history of the country, maybe this will help eliviate my ignorance?

Reggae music also has a big influence in West Africa. For some reason, Reggae culture is mixed with
Hip Hop with the sense of Afrocentric unity. But during the late 80s and 90s,  people in
those countries at the time thought that Hip Hop and Regggae were the same thing (probably because of Dancehall music). Hip Hop origionally came from Jamaican culture (eg. Dub music) but it became more popular
in the US.

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
Whatever cat, heads out there know the difference between hip-hop and reggae, the two scenes interlock, as many of the reggae artists and the hip hop artists share a lot of the same venues, and avenues to release their music. A lot of Hip-hop MC's such as Benny P or Avénon from Benin and Togo often feature on tracks by Reggae crews such as Tatu Clan. It is all love, but the music is not entirely mixed as you put it, they often collaborate. The reggae scene in Togo and Benin is older and more established than the hip-hop scene there, and the Reggae scene wields a strong influence on the younger hip-hop cats out there. Hip-hop has been in most of West Africa since the mid to late 80's, Reggae has been there much longer than that, more like since the 60's and 70's, Alpha Blondy is a more known Reggae artist from West Africa (Ivory Coast). But don't get it twisted, a lot of the established hip-hop artists (bboys, mc's, graffiti writers,...) in France, have their roots in West Africa (Senegal, Mali, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin,...) And the youth there have a clear understanding of what hip-hop is.

On that note, here is a video clip from a Togolese MC out of Lomé, by the name of Elom20ce.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 08:39:59 PM by watziznehmegin »

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Whatever cat, heads out there know the difference between hip-hop and reggae, the two scenes interlock, as many of the reggae artists and the hip hop artists share a lot of the same venues, and avenues to release their music.

Nah, I didn't mean the people in general at but the media in those countries at the time. I remember
reading an article from Africanhiphop.com about a Hip Hop festival in France about the conflict of
influences:

Saturday, October 28, 2000

The last instalment of the International Hip Hop Festival in Lille was blessed by the
presence of Positive Black Soul (affectionately called PBS); The Zotto Boys of Bamako,
Mali and Manitou of France. The night also featured breakdancing by 15 different dancers
from France. The Zotto Boys are very popular in their native country of Mali. The
five-man crew dropped their first album ‘Nafiguiya’ in 1997. They recorded it in Dakar.
The main emcees are Zotto MC and his cousin Lamso who makes the beats also. The other
three members double up on choruses, dance routines and instruments such as the jimbre drum.
Their style contains a lot of Jamaican Patois and of course they rap in their language of
Bamanan. They have a new album called ‘Kélé Dabla’ that was released this year.
Their music sounded more like reggae and ragga than like rap. This seems to be the
problem in Africa. Many cats out there are fronting the ragga/dj style, but posses no
real skills in their own language or any European language. 

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
This seems to be the
problem in Africa. Many cats out there are fronting the ragga/dj style, but posses no
real skills in their own language or any European language.

Ok, in what language do they got skills then??  ??? ???

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I dunno, since it's Mali I'm guessing Bambara or Fulani. J4 of Africanhiphop.com wrote the
article almost 9 years ago, but West African Hip Hop is dope. I remember a group from
Togo called Negro Force and for breaking, I remember meeting this dude from Togo when
I was in Canada. Dude was trying to battle me with all these Michael Jackson moves but
it was all good though!! :D

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
Some of my favorite b-boys in WANTED POSSE are originally from Mali.

http://www.myspace.com/wantedposse

Aside from that though, most these pieces on this Thread with a couple of exceptions are from these two writers from Lomé, one writes TREZ and the other MAX DE CAMPUS, for those who were wondering. on the rhyme side, there are a couple of dope emcees from Lomé, here go some of they myspace pages, if you want to check them out, they rhyme in French for the most part.

http://www.myspace.com/asraforecords
http://www.myspace.com/generaldo
http://www.myspace.com/orcyno 
http://www.myspace.com/bricceadamavocity
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:02:07 AM by watziznehmegin »

Alias

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile