Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Headwarmaz: For the love of hip hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-2
  • Bush Radio 89.5 FM (www.bushradio.co.za)
    • View Profile
atch an episode of the Headwarmaz on Bush radio 89.5 FM (or log on to www.bushradio.co.za) every friday at 22h00 for the best in home-grown and international hip hop.

Along with energetic studio hosts and banging hip hop beats you can get on to some:

Cameo Dj Appearances
Dedication slots for shout outs and freestyles
Charts...showing the best in hip hop music
Artist profiles
Useful tips to perfecting YOUR element of hip hop
Book reviews
In-studio interviews themed playlists
Album reviews
Intense and critical discussions
A look back at hip hop history

Be sure you don't miss a single episode. Headwarmaz... for the LOVE of hip hop!
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
i wana get on this show...rep for ag.com maximum!!!
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Over  the last couple of weeks we have been hyping up the event that will top all events for the month of August. A contingent of some of the most capable lyricist, most powerful vocalists, and nastiest selectors will be heading for long street on the 9th August 2009.

The even will be held at Club La Reference which is fast becoming the most accessible venue for the normal street head. the last event was held on the 16th of June to bring youth together. Fun was had by everyone present. now the second round is coming....

Club La Reference  (164 Long Str, Cape Town)
9th August 2009
19h00

Dj's Mastah Cash and Themba

Hosts Korianda and Zozo

Performances by:

Tia, Mic Element, Xolisa...the vocal expressionist, Adamus (runner up @ Sprite emcee Africa championship), D.S.O, Macho, Crosby, Calkane, Bonzaya, Mizchif, Scarekrow, Equilibruim, Souljaz Pros, Sky Cubique, Doogie Houser

Cover charge is R50, but first 100 people can claim their free tickets at CPUT, Cape Town campus. Student center room 4.35....If lost dial the number 0732364162 and ask for Jeff.

This is not something you want to miss....

Thanks for all the people who called to claim their free tickets on air....

This is the list of the headwarmaz fam that will be joining us on the night....

Thuso Malinga
Mzamo Ngemtu
Luvo Bandla
Khangelani Ncamile
Nkosiphendule Tata
Siyanda Rasmeni
Nkululeko Xobongo
Mzukisi Nqabula
Dumisani Mambe
Phatuxolo Thiko
Arnand Mhlekude
Pomakazi Bambeni
Thembelihle Ntshayi
Michael Gwe
Thembakazi Gogela
Lubabalo Bozo
Yamkela Fokwana
Simphiwe Mlungwana
Axolile Ngubane
Mbulelo Duna

Hope to see you there.... Let's keep the movement alive...

Headwarmaz... doing it for the love of hip hop.
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
 This Friday, 14th August 2009 we will be having a bumper session featuring 2 separate slots of Headz On da Spot. The first one will feature some of the voices that will be headlining an upcoming event called, Redefinition of Hip Hop.

Check of the event below.

REDEFINITION OF HIP-HOP
Come and witness Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape’s finest upcoming and elevated Hip-Hop Artists.

ARTISTS LINE-UP

SIM – The Binary
Tsiviel – The Prince (from Port Elizabeth)
Crosby a.k.a Digi-Analog
Nahum
Zwi kaNtu
Mic Substance
Bulumko
Waqa
Ruramai

ON THE DECKS: DJ Apla from BlaqLight Entertainment

1st Round

District Six Café, 106 Darling Street, Cape Town
15th Saturday 2009 ~ 21h00 – till late
R25.00

2nd Round

Showco Centre, Khayelistsha
16th Saturday 2009 ~ 13h00 – 18h00
R10.00

FOR MORE INFO:
SIM: 073 543 0283/ Hope: 074 267 2759 / blaqlight@gmail.com

BROUGHT TO YOU BY:
The Revival of the Heads ~ Filmusic Productions ~ Reel Tone Promotions ~ BlaqLight Entertainment.

On the second part of Headz on da spot we will be speaking to Impozstah, the Illest MC on the roster.

Below is a biography of the man himself.

Impozstah “The illest MC on the roster. With Ve’bhal Misael, resistance to my style is futile! I been rhyming for a while. It’s been a thousand miles, in this journey of mine!”

He was born in Orlando West, Soweto, JHB. His artistry reaches all the way down to Cape Town. He’s been rhyming since the days of Voice of Soweto, Reality, Metropolis (Le Club), i.e. before this commercial nonsense that’s befallen our art. Who is impozstah? Impozstah is a new-age, hybrid MC who falls into the ‘NO categories’ category. Rapping in English, French, Tsotsi taal (a mixture Afrikaans, Zulu, Sotho, Swahili and English born in the townships and ghettoes of South Afrika) he is a truly multi-faceted character. He has a social conscience, a strong advocate for the Afrikan continent and his beliefs can best be described as ‘live outside your box’. Why impozstah is Impozstah exists to change the ways of thinking of the world, one person at a time. He touches on universal issues like climate change, xenophobia, the state of hip hop and other relevant matters of social interaction. Having said all this, he still possesses attitude that has come to typify “The MC”! This MC believes strongly in keeping messages fresh, meaning that many of the issues he touches on are well-known and well-documented; he has chosen to “dopefy” the messages (make them dope) so that much younger audiences are reached. This is critical, his music addresses issues that the youth of the world can relate to and do something about. Yet at the same time the words themselves, the metaphors and the language usages are universal, meaning that the message goes even deeper than into the consciousnesses of the youth. His ambition is to change the collective thinking of the world! One person at a time… the illest mc on the roster. The new EP is called ACT ONE:“L’amélioration”(EP).

So remember to turn your radio on this friday night at 22h00 for 2 hours of explosive hip hop entertainment. If you are outside Cape Town, all you need to do is log on to www.bushradio.co.za

Headwarmaz...doing it for the love of hip hop.

Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Beef is the hip hop term for a feud or a rivalry between two or more rappers. The main aim of beef is to make your foe look bad or at least worse off than you. Beef is not a friendly sparring session where two artists may record a track to try and see who has more skill. Beef is not a freestyle battle where the winner is judged by the dexterity of delivery and how pernicious their punch lines are.  No. Beef is prolonged rivalry where slander is the order of the day.

The most common weapon available to artists engaged in beef is the ‘diss song’ (disrespect song). This is when an artist will record songs with the sole intention to libel their rival. Multiple songs may be recorded where the insults will go back and forth and this tennis match will only end when one of the contenders gives up.

The press and other public platforms usually serve as an arena where beef continues ‘outside the ring’. One rival will start humiliating rumours or reveal personal information about the other artist.

Although some may consider beef to be a healthy competition that generates publicity (and sales) for the parties involved, we have seen in the past that the results may not always be desirable. These rivalries can sometimes lead to violence and death.

In South Africa we have been fortunate not to have beef reaching lethal levels. However we have witnessed violent situations at various gatherings where beef has trickled onto our dance floors where punches fly along with the blood from the instigators and victims.

The most famous beef of our time was surely the rivalry between Bad Boy Records and Death Row Records during the mid ‘90s. The deaths of the biggest names in hip hop at the time, 2Pac and the Notorious B.I.G, are attributed to this beef.

However one of the most publicized beef of our time is between Jay Z and Nas. This is a typical example of how beef starts and resolves. The article below contains excerpts from Wikepedia purely for your reading pleasure.

Initially, the relationship between the two rappers was friendly and  respectfu. There were stories about how the two rappers used to hang out and how their families knew each other.Their relationship changed  after the death of The Notorious B.I.G. The position of ‘most popular New York rapper’ became vacant. Fans were eager to see who would fill that role. This is when the competition between the two started and ultimately turned nasty.

In 1996, while recording his debut album Reasonable Doubt, Jay-Z's producer Ski used a vocal sample from Nas' The World Is Yours as the chorus to his song Dead Presidents. Nas was offended by this because no one had asked for his permission. However, Jay-Z invited Nas to re-rap the line. When Nas agreed to this Jay-Z was happy, but Nas never showed up to record the line. After being stood up several times, Jay-Z became angry. This soured the relationship between the two rappers and is seen as the beginning of the quarrel between them.

Nas also stood Jay-Z up on a second occasion. After releasing his second album Nas a**embled The Firm with AZ, Foxy Brown, and Cormega (later Nature), and planned to release their debut album on Roc-A-Fella Records but later decided to sign with Aftermath without telling Jay-Z .

Jay-Z continued to show his respect to Nas in 1997 by referencing him on his song "Where I'm From" ("Who's the best MCs? Biggie, Jay-Z, and Nas"). Nas responded to Jay-Z on his track "We Will Survive" (released in 1999, on his album I Am…). On the song, Nas criticized several rappers, including Jay-Z, who claimed to be "New York's King" following Biggie's death. This was seen as disrespectful by Jay-Z, and was the spark that finally kicked off the feud. Also around this time, Nas and Memphis Bleek, who was also under Jay-Z's Roc-a-fella Records label were beefing as well.

The tension between the pair surfaced on their next releases, as each included aggressive songs entitled "Come Get Me", and various verbal jabs were thrown during subsequent mixtape appearances. The beef bubbled over into the public eye when Jay-Z mocked Nas's Queensbridge, Queens allies Mobb Deep on stage at the Hot 97 Summer Jam hip hop festival, reciting the opening verse to "Takeover", which ended with the line, Ask Nas, he don't want it with Hov.

Nas responded with an attack on Jay-Z during a radio freestyle over Eric B. & Rakim's "Paid In Full" beat, dissing most of the R.O.C. members subliminally — specifically, Jay-Z, Freeway, Memphis Bleek, and Beanie Sigel. Initially, the freestyle was untitled but was later called "Stillmatic", perhaps aimed to promote his new album Stillmatic (It is also called "H To The Omo" as a direct reference to Jay-Z's song "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"). This freestyle contained the rhyme "Is he H to the izzo, M to the izzo? / Fashizzle, you phonie, the rapper version of Sisqo", some even claiming "it was that short, but it touched the nerve."

Almost immediately, Jay-Z composed a re-written version of "Takeover" for the The Blueprint, on which he added a verse (the song originally only addressed Prodigy of Mobb Deep), which had 32 lines (while the other verses had 16) that attacked Nas for never matching the critical success of his debut Illmatic. He rapped these lines towards Nas:

"Use your - BRAAAAAAAIN! You said you been in this ten

I've been in it five - smarten up Nas

Four albums in ten years nigga? I can divide

That's one every let's say two, two of them shits was due

One was - Ehh, the other was "Illmatic"

That's a one hot album every ten year average

And that's so - LAAAAAAAME! Nigga switch up your flow

Your shit is garbage- what, you tryna kick knowledge (f*** outa here)"

This is the first direct diss track toward Nas and it contains the lyric: "you-know-who/did you-know-what/with you-know-who/But lets keep that between me and you (for now)." Later on, both Jay-Z and Nas stated that this line is in reference to Jay-Z sleeping with Carmen Bryan.

Nas responded with a greatly acclaimed track entitled "Ether" from his album Stillmatic, in which he mocked Jay-Z's early years as an aspiring young rapper (during which he supposedly idolized Nas) and accused him of being a misogynist. He also explained how Jay-Z exploited The Notorious B.I.G.'s legacy by stealing his lyrics and claiming that he is a better artist. "Ether" begins with the sound of gun shots sampled from "Who Shot Ya" and contains a Screwed vocal sample by Tupac Shakur from "f*** Friendz" where he says "f*** Jay-Z" and Nas himself mocks Jay-Z's line "I will not lose" from "U Don't Know". He derisively points out that Eminem showed him up on his own album, alluding to the song "Renegade". Nas claims that "The King is back (ill) / where the crown at? (ill will)", claiming that he is the true recipient of the throne after Notorious B.I.G. The song also made fun of Jay-Z's very limited physical attractiveness and implied he was a homosexual, reffering to him as Gay-Z, "Put it together, I rock hoes. You rock fellas."

The positive response to "Ether" created enormous interest in the rivalry throughout the hip hop community, the music media and even mainstream news outlets. Jay-Z responded to "Ether" in a radio freestyle that became known as "Supa Ugly". The first verse of the song is delivered over a sample of Nas' "Got Ur Self A...," when Jay-Z claims " I got myself a gun". In the song, Jay-Z dismisses the "Ether" track as being filled with falsehoods and questions Nas' street credibility. The beat of the song then switches up to Dr. Dre's "Bad Intentions", which Jay-Z alluded to an ongoing sexual relationship with Carmen Bryan, the mother of Nas' child. The song also alleges that Bryan also had a relationship with Allen Iverson:

Me and the boy A.I. got more in common

Than just ballin and rhymin, get it? More in Carmen

I came in your Bentley backseat, Skeeted in your Jeep, left condoms on your babyseat

Here, nigga, the gloves is off, The love is done

Its whatever, whenever, however nigga, ONE!

And since you infatuated with sayin that gay shit

Guess you was kissin my dick when you was kissin that bitch

Nasty shit, you thought I was bonin' Renette

You callin' Carm a hundred times I was bonin her neck

You got a baby by the broad, you can't disown her yet

When is your lies end, when does the truth begin

When is reality set in, or does it not matter

Gotta hurt, I'm your baby mama's favorite rapper

And ask your current girl, she know wa**ap

Holla at a real nigga, Jigga, I don't give a f***

Jay-Z's mother heard the song on the radio and demanded Jay-Z publicly apologize to Nas and his family, to which Jay-Z oblige. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Jay-Z claimed that mentioning his relationship with Bryan was fair game when Nas implied Jay-Z was gay in "Ether". The feud continued to simmer, and rumors of a live pay-per-view freestyle battle began to circulate but never came to fruition.

After the promoters of Hot 97's Summer Jam festival refused to allow headlining Nas to crucify an effigy of Jay-Z during his performance at 2002's show, he appeared on Hot 97's rival Power 105 and attacked both the music industry's control over hip hop and the rappers who he saw as submitting to it, including Jay-Z, Nelly, N.O.R.E. and Jay-Z's label mate Cam'ron: "Y'all brothers gotta start rapping about something that's real.... Rappers are slaves." This brought Cam'ron into the Jay-Z/Nas feud; Cam'ron controversially made disparaging remarks about Nas' mother.

After this incident both continued to go against one another on various tracks, the shots taken including Jay-Z criticizing Nas for his apparent hypocrisy on his The Blueprint²: The Gift & the Curse album's title track. On "Blueprint 2," Jay begins his diss against Nas in the second verse by attacking his street credibility. Jay also says that while he himself is more successful, he is more generous than Nas with his money. Jay goes on to mock Nas's spiritual persona from Stillmatic and after accusing Nas of using both this appearance and convoluted lyrics in an attempt to appear more intelligent than he is:

Cause the nigga wear a kufi, it don't mean that he bright

Cause you don't understand him it don't mean that he nice

It just means you don't understand all the bullshit that he write

Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?

In the lines immediately after, he also accuses Nas of hypocrisy for putting out commercial/materialistic-oriented tracks and then denouncing materialism and misogyny on other songs. Jay-Z also says, "My momma can't save you this time / Niggas is history" referencing the public apology his mother made him make after "Supa Ugly" was released. However, Jay-Z raps on a verse saying that he became stronger after "Ether”

Meanwhile, Nas compared himself and Jay-Z to the characters Tony Montana and Manolo respectively from the film Scarface, on his track "Last Real Nigga Alive" from his God's Son album. That track detailed how Jay-Z forced Nas into battling him by attacking him while he was raising his daughter, and caring for his dying mother. However, the feud died down somewhat toward the end of 2002.

Jay-Z also made reference to his relationship with Carmen on the songs 'Is That Ur Chick' and "D'evils". This could also be counted as a diss record towards Nas.

Debate continues in the hip hop community about who came out on top in the feud. On December 14, 2001, "Ether" and "Supa Ugly" were pitted against each on a Hot 97 radio phone-in poll, with fans calling in to vote for the winner. Nas's Ether defeated Jay-Z's Supa Ugly 52% to 48%.After the release of The Black Album, both Nas and Jay-Z paid tribute to each other in interviews. The rivalry also aided their careers critically and commercially. The battle was significant in that it revived the trend of using ‘beefs’ as a source for publicity and promotion for hip hop artists, which became unpopular following the tragic deaths of Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls, but once again prevalent within the hip hop community.

In what can be considered a pivotal moment in hip hop history, the feud was formally ended in October 2005 at Jay-Z's I Declare War concert, where Nas made a special guest appearance and performed the hook to "Dead Presidents" and a few of his own tracks such as "NY State of Mind" and "Hate Me Now". In 2005 at another 105.1 concert Jay and Nas reunited on stage and performed a song together.

In January 2006, Nas signed with at the time Jay-Z's Def Jam Recordings, further emphasizing the truce and raising expectations for a possible collaboration.

Nas and Jay-Z are now business partners and they have toured, recorded and appeared on television and radio together throughout 2006. Jay-Z appeared on Nas' album Hip Hop Is Dead which was released under Nas' new partnership with Def Jam. The track is titled "Black Republican". Nas also appeared on Jay-Z's 2007 album American Gangster on a track titled "Success". Nas is also noticeable in the music video for the song "Roc Boys" from Jay-Z's album American Gangster. The two rappers appeared together on a track titled "I Do It For Hip Hop" with Ludacris for his release Theater Of The Mind. Nas later appeared as a guest on Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 album.

Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

"I ain't readin' any shit without a motherf***in' link."
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
"I ain't readin' any shit without a motherf***in' link."

I eventually thought i was being funny when i used to be on New Jack's case for not providing a link for the source.

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
On the next episode of the Headwarmaz Show

Greetings to the Headwarmaz family. I surely hope that the week has been kind to you because the weather surely has not.  Tonight’s episode of the headwarmaz is going to be filled with goodies for those of you with an alternative ear.

Slowly but surely we are picking up speed when it comes to representing the other forms of expression in hip hop. So  today we have special features for all those who are producers, and all those who are poets.

Word is Bond

Many spoken word artists come and go. However, there is a voice that has been resonating in our ears for the longest time. Saul Williams, the New York born slam poet has been doing the rounds since 1996. His hard hitting verses have seen him starred in the film, Slam, released in 1998. The movie won some important independent awards and gained critical acclaim in the underground scene. This catapulted Saul Williams’ career and he started working with artists such as: Nas, The Fugees, Blackalicious, Erykah Badu, KRS-ONE, and De la Soul.

In 2003 he came to South Africa to perform in the Urban Voices International Poetry Festival.

Tonight we will venture into the world of Saul Williams.

The Lab

There is only one producer who can claim to be the 9th Wonder of the world and get away with it. 9th Wonder came into us accompanying Little Brother. The Listening was applauded for it’s brilliant production, and opened to the door for 9th Wonder to work with the likes of Nas, Mary J Blige, Jean Grae, Murs, Jay Z, Buckshot and, believe it or not, Destiny’s Child. Nuff said…

If you are (or if you know) a local producer who is putting in lots of work and is willing to be interviewed on the radio, please get at us on headwarmaz@gmail.com.

Headz on da spot

Tonight we will be bringing you a cat from Durban who goes by the name, Farm Boy. This will be as much of a trip for us, as it is for you…

There will be more music for you ear tonight as well. We will be featuring some of the best on the home-grown scene. You really do not want to miss out on this episode of the headwarmaz show.

There is lots happening around Cape Town in the next couple of weekends. So stay tuned and don’t get left behind. Bush Radio, 89.5fm (www.bushradio.co.za), @ 22h00
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
By the by, our veteran in hip hop, Emile of Black Noise will be coming in to speak about this years instalment of the African Hip Hop Indaba. The details will be up all over.
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Reflections of a South African: Unpacking the baggage of Xenophobia
[/color]

As a young South African male it saddens me that we have lost the trust and respect of the rest of the continent and the world. This is largely due to the recent surge of xenophobic attacks, which were not the first and not the last violent attacks towards our brothers and sisters. It is unfortunate that the South African who is actively involved in ensuring that our land is safe and hospitable for all, is lost in the backdrop of the blood-thirsty image that has come to represent the average South African.

Firstly, everything in this article does not undermine the plight of the displaced people of Africa, who have come to South Africa seeking refuge and stability. We too can empathise with this feeling. Not too long ago many of us were forced to grow up without fathers, uncles, mothers and aunts. They had all fled to avoid persecution by the Apartheid government. Those of us with some sense will remember how they sought asylum in Lesotho, Swaziland and populated all African countries reaching as far North as Uganda. The more fortunate or affluent ones were able to establish themselves in Europe and America.

Secondly, as South Africans we cannot avoid being held accountable for allowing hostility to simmer until it reached the boiling point in the Autumn/Winter of 2008. However, I do feel that we need to undertake a closer examination of the situations surrounding and leading to xenophobic attacks. This will a**ist us in ensuring that we can avoid a recurrence of such despicable acts.

There is ignorance that festers in the minds of the average South African. It has been the mainstay of xenophobia to repeat the now cliche motto "They have come to steal our women and jobs." However, there is a greater ignorance in neglecting to further examine this statement. To home in on the origins and sentiments that give birth to this notion.

Firstly, South Africa was prematurely annointed as the 'promised land'. Apartheid left a heavy imbalance in the economic structure of the country. The have-nots, manufactured by centuries of subjugation, have not been given the fair opportunity to reclaim the wealth and resources (or control thereof) that they had been denied. BEE was the only recognisable approach for restructuring the distribution of wealth. It is now clear that BEE has been used inappropriately by a chosen few to further their own economic well-being and indulge in the life of luxury. The average person on the ground has not, and will not, see the same benefits.

This has left the average South African shocked and dissapointed. They would not be able to cash in on the promise of 'a better life for all'. At the same time, this same person had to walk the streets and see that a growing number of 'foreigners' were filling the streets, working hard and getting paid. Companies started hiring more refugees as a source of cheap labour. One must remember that the unemployment rate is 23.5%. This translates into hostility for all those South Africans who are unable to secure jobs.

Media did not help the situation by attributing the growing crime rate to the increased number of immigrants. Police were free to mistreat refugees, especially those who did not have the adequate paper-work. This did not set a good example for the average South African citizen to follow. Disregard for all refugees was to follow.

End of part 1

Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
on the last episode of tha headwarmaz
[/color]

This show was a music special with 25 tracks being fitted into less than 2 hours. This is the list of music played on the last episode.

Intelektu - Processo immigratorio

Impozstah - Forgotten the words

Ill-literate Skill - Downtown city

Emage - Mxwaye

Tuboy Tulz - We gonna make it

Jay Z - Thank you

Jargon - Walk the walk

Axo - Story of my life

T.O.P-az - Mess higher

Perspektif - Vodka with Lenin

Driemanskap - Tsotsi

Typical Cats - Any day now

The fugees - the mask

Redman - Back inda building

Mobb Deep - Quiet storm

Bone-thugs-n-harmony - Paper, paper

Queen Latifah - U.N.I.T.Y

Cypress Hill - Insane in the brain

LL Cool J - Mama said knock you out

De La Soul - Ooh

Biz Markie - Just a friend

ATCQ - Bonita Applebum

KRS ONE - a friend

Busta Rhymes - Gimme some more

Steel - Will the battle never end
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Headwarmaz Take 5
[/color]

5. Thank you – Jay Z

Thank you is the 2nd track off Jay Z’s latest offering, Blueprint 3. The album’s official international release was on the 14 September 2009. The album sold an estimated 480 000 copies in the first week. This makes Blueprint 3, his eleventh #1 album.

On this track Jay Z predicts the sale status of this album…

”Please don't bow in my presence How am I a Legend?
I just got 10 #1 albums Maybe now 11
More hits than a Now! 11”

The album features the likes of Rihanna, Kanye West, Drake, Alicia Keys, Young Geezy, Pharell, and surprising appearances by West’s protégé’s Kid Cudi and Mr. Hudson.

Kanye West and No I.D are responsible for most of the production, with some tracks produced by Timbaland, Swizz Beats and Pharrel.

4. You’ve forgotten the words - Impozstah

This track comes from the debut album called Then and now: Volume 1. He is responsible for the majority of the production, with Arsenic (of the Maniac Metalloids) involved in production and mastering of the project.

3. Downtown City – Ill-literate Skill 

The album is Off the Radar…putting Cape Town on the radar. This Cape hip hop duo has put in lots of work and they continue to bear fruit. Having worked with Driemanskap, Reason, Nthabi and Proverb, they went on to share stages with the likes of Slum Village.

2. Workers Comp – Mos Def

The Ecstatic was released in June 2009 and received wide applause from critics. However the popularity was not converted into sales. The album debuted at #9 on the Billboard 200 , dropping to #29 in the second week.

The album features the likes of Slick Rick, Georgia Anne Muldrow and old friend Talib Kweli.

Production featured Madlib, Oh No and J Dilla.

1. Walk the walk – Jargon…

Keeping it strictly Cape Town, Jargon comes in at #1 with a track that brings together artists from the Delft South township. Banging beat and kick-a** rhymes, what more can you ask for?

The rest of the playlist included...

I miss home - Driemanskap

Cape 2 Angola - Wes P ft. Bonzaya

When god made you  - Jaak

Hotness - Bahamadia

Already home - Jay Z ft. Kid Cudi

Ileta - Phizo

By your side  - Gini Grindith

Sound bwoy burial - Smiff-n-wessun

Umi says - Mos Def

Get your walkin right - N'veigh

Watch out - Backyard crew

Enforcers - Illuminati getuies

A bathing harry - Lupe Fiasco & The gorillaz

Could you be  - Vast aire

Will the battle never end - Steel

Bent life - Aesop rock ft. C-ray Walz

It aint safe no more - Busta Rhymes

Time to take it back - Brotherhood basement.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:03:56 PM by Headwarmaz »
Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
Headz on da spot

The hip-hop scene in Cape Town has two distinct aspects. There is the hip-hop club scene of which Long Street has long been the center stage. Youths from various parts of the peninsula congregate in the smoky venues and listen to hip-hop over a cold beer or a more expensive beverage. Discussions around themes of revolution, business acumen, and ‘who’s –bedding-who’ are the order of the day. Everyone usually has a good time.

On the flip side is the street scene. For years now, the streets of Langa, Gugulethu, Nyanga, Bonteheuwel, Khayelitsha, and Mitchells Plain have been the birthplace of many street poets/soldiers of Cape Town hip-hop. There are far too many names to mention in one sitting.

Happily, the hip-hop movement has grown even more. Now areas like Delft, Du Noon, Kraaifontein, Phillipi, Crossroads, Kuils Rivier, and even as far as Paarl have burst into the scene and demanded attention.

This week, we will be speaking to one of the street soldiers from Delft South. Delft is an interesting township. After years of informal settlements, Delft was recognized as a township as early as 1989. It shares its borders with Belhar, Blue Downs, Site C, Khayelitsha, Driftsands, Crossroads and Nyanga. Like many other townships in South Africa, people will be quick to point at the high levels of crime, unemployment (43%) and poor infrastructure as Delft’s defining characteristics.

No. There is a new energy in our townships. There is a youth movement. A hip-hop movement that is taking shape and setting itself up as a force to be reckoned with.

Tune in to the Headwarmaz show as we go into the mind and music of one such youth.

What legends are made of

This week we go into the archives to see what A Tribe Called Quest was made of. Nuff said.

Tune into the Headwarmaz show on Bush Radio 89.5 FM this Friday at 22h00 for 2 hours of the best in home-grown and international hip hop. If you are outside cape town, you can log on to www.bushradio.co.za to catch the live stream.

Headwarmaz…For the love of hip hop.

Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop

Headwarmaz

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
The last episode of the Headwarmaz was great. Here is a list of the music that was played...

Hishaam - All I do

The Headwarmaz Take 5 for July brought up these five tracks...

5. Mic Substance - I'm the reason
4. King Dan - Thembi
3. M-2 - I tried
2. R-block - Sthandwa sam
1. Tumi ft. Ian Kamau - Whole Worlds

We then opened the lines for listeners to Shoutout to the World. Some of the shoutouts were entertaining and some were strange.

Avalanche - Cape City
Emage - Tribute to mama
Izinga - Dark streets

We were then joined in the studio by representatives of RAPS Reloaded / Revival of the Headz. They gave us information on a ma**ive gig that will be happening this Wednesday at Mr. Pickwicks, Long Street in Cape Town.

More info here. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=125848130788580&index=1

We closed the show with and interesting selection from Coomz and Worst.

Bob Marley and Guru - Johnny was
De La Soul - Ooh
Endz The Otherness ft. Eavesdrop - Nature of Science
Ill-skills - Downtown City
KRS ONE -  I am there
Elzhi - Transitional Joint...

Make sure you do not miss another jam-packed episode of the Headwarmaz. Catch it every Friday at 22h00 on Bush Radio 89.5 FM. If you are outside Cape Town, visit www.bushradio.co.za and catch us on live stream

Headwarmaz...for the love of hip-hop

Headwarmaz...

For the LOVE of Hip Hop