Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hype May/June

The CHEF · 97 · 28528

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
well, what can i say? i was all but ready to hate on this issue (i have a long-running issue with the writing) but instead i found myself really impressed. the coverage is amazing! and it feels like hype is finally beginning to figure out its identity. i still havent read it (reading bad writing makes you. . .) but just from paging through i wanna give props to everyone featured in the mag. its you guys who are actually the lifeforce of SA hip hop. youre keeping it visible in an exciting way. from Drie to Zuluboy to the Boss Lady Mome :D.

not matter how you slice it, as a source of SA hip hop:

Hype > AG (in its present state)

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Also that that Damolaa and Bungaman track. The Marena track was flippin' nice as well.....it has that Lesotho niceness i dig.....reminded me of the TKZee track and the old Lesotho "mbaqanga"----the guy who use to flip a tail, made out off a blanket, in Bodloza's show back in the day_____some funny ol' skool

APOLLO NDABANYANE..........he used to kill the live shows on EZODUMO back in the day :D....
one of our best exports since TSEPO TS'OLA

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Also that that Damolaa and Bungaman track. The Marena track was flippin' nice as well.....it has that Lesotho niceness i dig.....reminded me of the TKZee track and the old Lesotho "mbaqanga"----the guy who use to flip a tail, made out off a blanket, in Bodloza's show back in the day_____some funny ol' skool

I remember that guy. Used to be damn funny. I just forgot his name.

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear

Strongly disagree.
Content generated by heads on AG in terms of unheard artists and gigs doesn't compare to HYPE.
We may not get the full written articles or reviews but there is news here. A lot of bullshyt that we can't edit like a mag does but it can be if this website was run properly.
Can't confidently say it for AG but Sheetstreet is better than HYPE.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

Strongly disagree.
Content generated by heads on AG in terms of unheard artists and gigs doesn't compare to HYPE.
We may not get the full written articles or reviews but there is news here. A lot of bullshyt that we can't edit like a mag does but it can be if this website was run properly.

nah dude. the news on this site isn't updated - making it non-news. and the forums are chocful of marginally hip hop related bullshit. and anyway, whenever anything solid is done here it gets a mention in that mag too. this joint is dead, yo.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

Strongly disagree.

nah dude. the news on this site isn't updated - making it non-news. and the forums are chocful of marginally hip hop related bullshit. and anyway, whenever anything solid is done here it gets a mention in that mag too. this joint is dead, yo.

So why are you here?
Anyway, HYPE is not AG and vice versa. HYPE provides a bimonthly snapshot of SA hip-hop, with some nice stories and more indepth features. AG is like a continually running news feed, full of rumours, gossip, hot tracks from all over the world, little nuggets of truth and seriously entertaining bullshit. It's like a slightly twisted RSS feed.

If I need a piece of info about a hip-hop artist, AG is where I come. If I need good solid reading, I get HYPE.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile

Strongly disagree.

So why are you here?
Anyway, HYPE is not AG and vice versa. HYPE provides a bimonthly snapshot of SA hip-hop, with some nice stories and more indepth features. AG is like a continually running news feed, full of rumours, gossip, hot tracks from all over the world, little nuggets of truth and seriously entertaining bullshit. It's like a slightly twisted RSS feed.

If I need a piece of info about a hip-hop artist, AG is where I come. If I need good solid reading, I get HYPE.

Couldn't have said it better
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
actually dont know why im here anymore. to laugh at mad and blac :D anyway you guys are missing my point. what i mean to say is AG in its present state (it once really really ran shit) isnt nearly as potent as it could be in terms of repping SA hip hop.

look at what happenned when i came on here enquiring about My Boba? at what happened to briCk enquiring about Robo? i agree that members here are generally quite knowledgeable when it comes to SA hip hop and (when they decide talk rap) can be quite insightful when it comes to particular scenes (which repeat themselves and have been doing so since 2003, mind you) but from an outsider's perspective, for some kid whos just starting out and browsing this site, hype is way more potent. and its odd seeing as that its 2009 and if anything it should be the other way around with the magazine struggling to catch up.

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
and what a great article on our hero ..SYFO!!!!
Exciting!!!!
 ::)

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Exciting!!!!

lol! do people really check for this dude?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Exciting!!!!

He's got a song where he sampled Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" in its entirety. LOL !!! Some wack shit.

But then he's got another one produced by Amu Feat. HHP - Killa Track. First Syfo track i've ever liked. I used the same sample Amu used on one of my beats.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Exciting!!!!

He's got a song where he sampled Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" in its entirety. LOL !!! Some wack shit.

But then he's got another one produced by Amu Feat. HHP - Killa Track. First Syfo track i've ever liked. I used the same sample Amu used on one of my beats.

i saw that lenny kravitz track one time on tv i think he used that auto tune thing... i cudnt stand it...

what sample was it MRC?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Exciting!!!!

i saw that lenny kravitz track one time on tv i think he used that auto tune thing... i cudnt stand it...

what sample was it MRC?

will check when i get home.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
actually dont know why im here anymore. to laugh at mad and blac :D anyway you guys are missing my point. what i mean to say is AG in its present state (it once really really ran shit) isnt nearly as potent as it could be in terms of repping SA hip hop.

look at what happenned when i came on here enquiring about My Boba? at what happened to briCk enquiring about Robo? i agree that members here are generally quite knowledgeable when it comes to SA hip hop and (when they decide talk rap) can be quite insightful when it comes to particular scenes (which repeat themselves and have been doing so since 2003, mind you) but from an outsider's perspective, for some kid whos just starting out and browsing this site, hype is way more potent. and its odd seeing as that its 2009 and if anything it should be the other way around with the magazine struggling to catch up.

Brick's Robo thread died because I'd got there first: http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=26039.0

Fair points otherwise - not sure I agree with all of them, but I do agree that for newbies HYPE is more potent.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile
@Panic and Rob, I also believe that we a partly responsible for making this place what it is. The threads we create reflect on and make up the site as well, don't know about the content: cos, lets say if AG was to be rated against other Hip Hop site....would they also consider the stuff posted on the threads as part-and-parcel of the AG's content? Don't know if my point makes any sense...

But what I'm saying is.....AG Admin-- i.e. "Milk" ---not the mods...me thinks...is responsible for the content on the AG website

And we.....artists, fans, junos, promoters, and etc.....are responsible for making the forum side HIP HOP....real Hip Hop.......in terms of posting stuff that is relevant to Hip Hop.......And don't be lost in the mist of saying "Personal Issues ain't hip hop" cos they are...recall hip hop be the life we live...erday...hahaha
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala