Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Finally some good news in this damn recession.

Big SA trade surplus surprise

Johannesburg - South Africa recorded a surprise trade surplus of R2.020bn for its trade with non-Southern African Customs Union trading partners in May after the R1.456bn deficit of April, according to Customs & Excise figures released on Tuesday.

A R1.9bn deficit was expected, a survey by I-Net Bridge had found, with forecasts varying from a R500m deficit to a R3.2bn deficit.

A record R17.380bn deficit was struck in January this year from a previous worst in October 2007 of 14.7 billion rand.

"If it's a case of exports outpacing imports, that's good news. But, either way, it's good news that we're running a surplus again. If that's the case, it's good news for the economy." said George Glynos, market analyst at ETM.

It's the first surplus since December 2006. It's obviously indicating that the balance on the trade account is starting to improve, added Fanie Joubert, economist at Efficient Group.

"However, we must keep in mind that it's volatile and is sensitive to changes in international oil and commodity prices. It's a bit too early to say this is a total change in the trend, but it is definitely more positive."

- I-Net Bridge

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:14:59 PM by MrTwoTeams »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
Dam MrC didn't realise you were that sharp on your stock market shit! impressive..
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Dam MrC didn't realise you were that sharp on your stock market shit! impressive..

LOL !!! I try to keep my ears to the ground homie.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
No wonder the Rand is so strong today. I saw the exchange rate this morn and thought the SABC might be messing with us. Damn. that's good news. I know some people who lost out though. they expected the rand to stay weak so they would cash in their foreign money. now they sayin "i should have gone last month"

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
No wonder the Rand is so strong today. I saw the exchange rate this morn and thought the SABC might be messing with us. Damn. that's good news. I know some people who lost out though. they expected the rand to stay weak so they would cash in their foreign money. now they sayin "i should have gone last month"

kinda sucks in a way that the Rand gets stronger at a time when our exports are also getting stronger. that means people exporting goods are now actually getting less than they would have a month or so ago.but im sure they not complaining still. business is booming for them.