Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Peep game.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Taken from hiphocalypse site, check that ish out . http://www.hiphocalypse.co.nr" target="_blank" target="_new">http://www.hiphocalypse.co.nr
Keen to get 2 Questions up for u ctas to sample. That site has 2 tracks already, here´s their review anyways. Peace

"Welcome to a lesson in Grahamstown Hip Hop 101.
To quote SL Magazine "The Heart of the hip hop explosion in America was the mixtape. Bootlegged compilations of rhymes laid over stolen beats and sold cheaply at gigs show a raw spirit that´s starting to catch on here (in SA)"

Reading the above-quoted article further alludes to the fact that the Innovators (Second Son and TNG) are at the heart of the mixtape surge in the Eastern Cape and indeed South Africa.
It is great to see such raw gra**roots development in local hip hop coming from a town as small as Grahamstown. The Grahamstown Hip Hop movement, like the national arts festival down there, showcases some of the country´s most talented not to mention hardest working artists.

"TNG presents..The Big-ups from SL mag" is the fourth installment in the Innovators mix-tapes.
From what I can establish this particular mixtape, though flying under the Innovators banner, was put together (mostly) by the more outspoken half of the Innovators crew TNG hence the title (TNG presents..)
Clocking in at under 30mins this is possibly the most focussed release thus far. Don´t let the length of the album fool you this release is packed with absolute Grahamstown Hip Hop gems!
This compilation transgresses the past two years in Grahamstown hip hop (from an Innovators perspective of course). TNG pulls tracks in from as far back as early 2003 ("Chiwawa MC´s" and "Untitled") to brand new tracks recorded (from what I can tell) as recently as last month.
This Mixtape is possibly the truest representation of the Hip Hop landscape in Grahamstown to be released to date. This is because TNG is almost ingenius in compiling strategically relevant tracks that may have "sneaked in under the radar" over the past year and half. The closest thing I can compare it with that would be familar is Nas´s "Lost Tapes". This realease like the Lost Tapes compiles highlights from the Innovators´ careers that were miraculously excluded from previous releases with hot new joints produced in 2004.

The first thing that hits us is the cover. Up til now Innovators mixtape cover have been a photocopy (colour if we lucky) with some MS word title. This is the first truely "augmented" product. The cover is on a glossy card and depicts (like the tile) the feature article from which the mixtape derives its title strategically circling the relevant paragraph. Pay close attention to the detail before you even pop this in your CD player.
The Mix-tape begins with a subliminal cry for a record deal..Not sure if this is meant to be in jest or actually serious..anyway its funny nonetheless..I wonder if it will work?..
The first song is a 1.18min long promotional pitch titled "How Come..SL" by TNG. This follows on from the title and does well to explain the Innovators position within the Local Hip Hop landscape (as did the article this mixtape derives its title from). Not anything special but a must listen to put the compilation in context.

The next track is one of my personal favourites "Thunder God" by the Hiphocalypse´s very own Rob One. The imagery on this track is more vivid than widescreen DVD! Rob spits like he was a hip hop "thunder god" over the same beat from the previous Innovators mixtape. The beat compliments Mr Boffard perfectly as he effortlessly weaves between bars as a "supernatural mc". True represtation of apocalyptic hip hop as only the Hiphocalypse can "Thunder when I rise..Thunder when I fall!". A must listen for all hardcore hip hop heads! Five star performance on the production and on the mic!
Download the Thunder God MP3 here.

Thunder God is followed by the venomous "Untitled (shortened version)" from last year. This track was recorded by the Innovators in retaliation to a sneak attack by rival Grahamstown posse "Def Boyz" in 2003 but never officially released. It showcases the battling skills of RU emcees Zen, Chav, Second Son and Rob One. This is purely a beef track and shows exactly how ugly these emcees can get when provoked. Not sure if the beef is still there but this track does very well to document probably the biggest hip hop battle in Grahamstown History in the true spirit of chief Makana. 1st Round Knockout!

"School of Hip Hop" is an interlude by one of Gauteng/Grahamstown´s rhyme vets Mandrakz hyping his upcoming releases. This interlude is relevant on this release because more than a mix-tape this is a Grahamstown hip hop history lesson and Mandrakz will forever be written in hip hop history books. Beats and Pieces what up?!
"Vibe With It" is a little trip down Innovators memory lane from Soul Food (off the Bon Apetite EP) to the barrage of mixtapes that have come out this year. TNG spits his now signature bragadocio with a little matrix style special effects. Check it "all the shots they try to take...whhh whhh...they miss." If there was a fast-forwardable track it would be this one.. possibly failing to clear the bar on lyrical proficiency..but wait that beat is NICE!!..make up your own mind..

"Success" profiles TNG´s rise to fame as an emcee and producer in Azanian hip hop. From his days running with the break through Zimbabwean hip hop outfit G-Few to SL Mag over a nice lil beat box by himself. Very Innovatve.

Oh my goodness the track that follows is arguably THE best TNG track I have heard thusfar. "2 Questions" is an introspective gem that tackles the very pertinent issue of Xenophobia in SA. T tells a story of a real life alteraction he had with the law and a Cashless Society interview in which this ugly demon bore its head. In Verse 2 Geezay preaches a hip hop prescription for weak minded individuals about how great it is to have the same common denominator (Hip Hop) and use that to bridge the (geographic/cultural) gaps our forefathers failed. Definately prescribed for anyone with half an open mind. I´m really feeling this one. This deserves a good listen for it gives some food for thought for anyone that has had to deal with Xenophobia.

Up until this point this has pretty much been the TNG show but like I said earlier this is an Innovators Mixtape.
For all those Second Son fans "Code Red" is a great example of the Zambian Maestro at his Omnipotent story-telling best. This Zambian emcee tells a tale of an rebellious Second Son running from the law. A nice follow on from TNG´s 2 Questions.

The Hiphocalypse´s "youngest in charge" Mentalyricist drops "Force Applied". This kid is only 15 but you could never tell from this track. Like Nas on Live at the Barbeque Makhi spits metaphor after metaphor similie after similie effortlessly moving from bar to bar painting a deep dark picture as apocalyptic as Rob One´s Thunder God. This is the truest manifistation of what the future holds for Grahamstown hip hop. Put this in your playlist for all those horror-core hip hop heads out there.
Download Force Applied here.

The compilation ends with "Chiwawa MC´s" another beef track from the aforementioned beef saga aimed at some young challengers. Lyrical Supremacy in Innovators style. I can´t get over the chemistry of these two on this track as they laugh off the challenge hilariously. Oh and dont forget that Power Puff Girls-type ill beat..very nice production.
To conclude: This is a crash course in the past present and future of Grahamstown Hip Hop. A MUST have for all supporters of true Mzansi Hip Hop."
~Reviewer Sensai Tate

Holla at Soulfu_Enterprise on how to get a hold of the music.
:-Z Soulfu_Enterprise@yahoo.com
The Innovators collection so far; RU Project, Bon Appetite, Sick With The Flow, The Big Ups From SL Mag Mixtape!

Anonymous

Do we get any FREE ish when we buy this CD? DVD packaged in with a T-Shirt or exclusive freestyle joints etc..
I see you have an impressive resume thusfar so can we get it for free?!

Anonymous

Quote:

"Not sure if the beef is still there but this track does very well to
document probably the biggest hip hop battle in Grahamstown History in the true spirit of chief Makana. 1st Round Knockout"

You actually know inkosi Makana. I´m impressed.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote:

13-07-2004 at 12:28, Anonymous :
Quote:

"Not sure if the beef is still there but this track does very well to
document probably the biggest hip hop battle in Grahamstown History in the true spirit of chief Makana. 1st Round Knockout"

You actually know inkosi Makana. I´m impressed.

Who is this ign´ant Chicken head?
I´m offended WTF?!
You think the Hiphocalypse movement iz based in Grahamstown and doesnt know "inkhosi Makana? Shame on u! Who´s ignorant now?! Identify yourself!
Sorry to rant like that but stupid comments like that just piss me the f*** off!

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Quote:

13-07-2004 at 12:05, Anonymous :
Do we get any FREE ish when we buy this CD? DVD packaged in with a T-Shirt or exclusive freestyle joints etc..
I see you have an impressive resume thusfar so can we get it for free?!

Usually I gots no bells for them chickenheads. But this one got jokes and some good points. Keep posted for more mixtapes from us and I´m sure you´ll know about the bonus material (DVD package,m T-Shirt, exclusoive fresstyle joints) e.t.c. Thanks about the CV. but NO u can´t get any of that free. Like Jigga said **** you Pay ME> 8-)