• AG Moderator
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
taken from the biz community website:

Graffiti ´vandalism´ reaches new heights outdoors

Following on from its television launch of the ´See Through It´ campaign, Coca Cola SA has legalized illegal art - graffiti - to re-launch youth brand Sprite to the South African market.
A selection of three advertisements with clearly misleading, ´tongue in cheek´ messages have been erected on six billboards around Johannesburg´s northern suburbs and Soweto during the past week. From 12 - 16 July, a group of young graffiti artists will systematically ´deface´ the billboards with ma**ive Sprite ´See Through It´ logos, to encourage consumers to see through all the advertising clutter they are constantly exposed to and ´trust their instincts´.

According to international research today´s young people, are "individualistic, with a confidence that comes from learning to fend for themselves" (the product of ´working parents´). They take control of their own lives and form their own opinions in their quest to stay real and true to themselves".

This sub-culture extends across all racial divides and has a language and ideology of its own. They are street smart, sussed, irreverent almost, in their need to cut through the clutter. It is this ´Generation X´ of our society, which is the core target market of Sprite´s ´See Through It´ campaign.

Jeremy Charoux, senior brand manager for Sprite says, "We wanted a campaign that was true to the self-expressive nature of the Sprite brand yet different enough to appeal to a market that has ´seen it all´. We feel that the campaign is refreshing in its originality and creativeness and has successfully captured the self expressive essence of the Sprite personality."

Sprite is the only clear soft drink on the market and Charoux feels that this is symbolic of the ´X Generation´s´ ability to see through things in society. "Clarity, honesty and honesty are what they are striving for. Sprite is a lifestyle brand that says ´you can be who you are´."

The creative concept for the billboard campaign started at Vega, the brand and communication school in Sandton. Students were given a cla** project to develop outdoor communication that would convey the ´See Through It´ message. The belief being that since the brand was targeted at the youth, the youth should be involved in the advertising process. O & M then created the campaign and used the work of the students to complete the creative process.

The entire campaign is now at the mercy of the graffiti artists who can be seen high on the billboards hard at work with spray cans. Each day a different billboard will be targeted.

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
yo...feeling thirsty for a sprite, reading thru dat...u sure u aint doing some
subliminal advertising up here milkd...

Anonymous

yo milkdaddy if you know if they doing that sprite thing in durban pa** it on to ewok we´ll hook it up this side

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
Im pro it, the more graf culture is exposed to the media, the more graf writers will earn respect and thus get jobby jobs.

cats must realise that u cannot do this shit for free, it was never intended to just be hobby. go corporate, be a capitalist just dont exploit it for a quik buck.(not like we can stop it from going corporate anyway)
XO.WITHTANK.COM

sib

• REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
all i hear abount are durban, joburg kats. where the pmb kats and if there are any to boom pmb come thru, it needs colour

[ This message was edited by: sib on 28-07-2004 14:40 ]

gin-i-grindith

• Guppie
    • View Profile
    • http://
That graf was done by the PCP crew: (Curio, Rasty, Dekor) Those cat´s killed that shit! Will Try send some pic´s if they let me!

Easy Raiko

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
ok when pepsi them going to show some support for hip hop or must we ask our brothers in the states to stop buying the product one hand feeds the other
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85

Mode

• Guppie
    • View Profile
Quote from: "ootz"
<BR>cats must realise that u cannot do this shit for free, it was never intended to just be hobby. go corporate, be a capitalist just dont exploit it for a quik buck.(not like we can stop it from going corporate anyway)<br>

yes true, however if you want to make money go learn for a doctor or a laywer... You should start writing out of shear pa**ion, when we used to ride through cape town when i was young my face would be STUCK to the window as i looked in amazment and these works of art... This isn't something you do to be cool, get money etc. If you can't stand the danger, cops and a record that can limit were you can go in life DON'T even START! However if you're willing remember this: if life gives you shit, pick it up and throw it right the f*** back in life's face.
ardcore bboy, part time writer...

Grafitti is an art and if art is a crime, how come PICa**O never did time?

token412

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile

Im pro it, the more graf culture is exposed to the media, the more graf writers will earn respect and thus get jobby jobs.

cats must realise that u cannot do this shit for free, it was never intended to just be hobby. go corporate, be a capitalist just dont exploit it for a quik buck.(not like we can stop it from going corporate anyway)

fIrst off everything the media touches is badly projected to the ma**es,
take a stereotypical hip hop image for example(fat chains,flash cars,money,women)..that's how the media projects hip hop,what's it gonna do to graff?

you definitly can do graff for free just becuase you love graff for what it is, it was never meant to be about money making, it's about going against the system... (total opposites)

but if some "cat" wants to go corporate let him...i'll just be amazed
of the path he chose.
ou're looking through all these records and it's sort of like a big pile of broken dreams...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
"Sprite is the only clear soft drink on the market and Charoux feels that this is symbolic of the X Generations ability to see through things in society. "Clarity, honesty and honesty are what they are striving for. Sprite is a lifestyle brand that says you can be who you are." "

- so by his own logic, sprite drinkers should be able to smell the bullshit right about now

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
oh dear... it's serious...
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Li' Ill, smti() l ()ght Kll...[/size]

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I don't know. We'll just have to see what emerges from here on. Are we gonna have graffiti with a menaning in the end or just plain face value graffiti.
eace means Love

Nappy Head
http://www.getitfree.net/xcgegnns

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Any1 with half a brain can smell the bullshit, come on we know its just another marketing campaign, if you fall for it, you a stoopid sucka, who deserves to be taken for everything you got.

I take issue at Mode and Token, sure graff didnt originate as a moneymaking scheme, but if you got talent, why shud you suffer doing that doctors or office job which will destroy your soul when you can use the talent you put a shitload of time and sweat into, and make a living, Big people gotta pay bills kiddies, By the Way Falco, MakOne, Demo, Mantis, Weelz, in other words the most experinced and most developed of South Afriican graff artists all do it as their day job and have been doing so for bout 6 years now. You wanna argue wit their cred, also those internationals you probly like Solo, and the like also do it as they day jobs, making good livings off it.
You aint but lil bitch-a** kidddies who neva had to pay a single bill in yo lives, shut the fuk up till you got sumthin of value to say :evil:
All props to anybody in any element of this thing called hip hop, who can take what they got and do their thing with pa**ion for their own development and rise. These lil kiddies who moan bout how making money is bad are the middle cla** muthaf***as who neva had to hustle for shit a day in their lives and who will study to be doctors and shit, they wanna keep it ghetto-fied cos otherwise they dont seem as hardcore to their school friends in the boarding house.
Hope the cops catch you while you bombing and beat the shit out of you before putting you in Woodstock cells for the weekend so by the time yo mommies come get you, you been the huis-baas's bitch for a coupla days.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

mulmens

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Synnie has a point. If I had a talent that I liked that enable food to be put on the  table that enabled me to not sit and slave behind a desk I would do it in a heart beat. There's no saying no to cheddar in this world.
eace means Love

Nappy Head
http://www.getitfree.net/xcgegnns