Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Like some of the people on these forums, I'm a House head too but I've seen a trend of
simularity between the UK and South Africa: the Afro-House music scene is big!

In South Africa, y'all have Durban House, which takes it's beats from Kwaito, European
Techno, and traditional African sounds, while in the UK, they have "Funky" House, in
which I see nothing funky about it. All you hear is just African percussions (which ain't
really a bad thing, I just think that they gave it the wrong name).

I like some Afro-House but the thing I hate about it is that people are now making it a big
deal than it already is. It's not like Frankie Knucles and Masters At Work haven't
experimented with African music with House. And another thing that I've realized is that
some of the people that were big in the UK Garage scene during the early 2000s like Donnaeo
and Marcus Nasty of the Nasty Crew are doing "Funky" (Afro) House.

Come to think of it, Brothers of Peace, DJ Sbu, Tzozo & Professor, The Hunger Boyz, and
the Trompies were Kwaito but had roots in House Music. Here's the simularities of Durban
and the UK Afro House scenes:

South Africa

UK

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Here's an article I wrote for Kwaito.com about the Kwaito vs. Durban House issue:

http://kwaito.com/articles/kwaito-house-an-appreciated-history-aggravated-present.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:38:02 PM by M-Point »