Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Questions surround Semenya's gender

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
yes we have incompetent black people at ASA but we also have white racist who always shout from the sidelines and offer no real solutions to the problems that this country is facing and at the same still enjoying privilleges that come with whiteness

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Who says there was a 'rumour' in the first place?

Semenya just obliterated the competition. She is highly masculine with a deep voice. It is the IAAF's job to investigate situations like this.

The IAAF has already come and said that they don't believe she is cheating, "This is a medical condition. It is nothing that she has done. There is a need to make sure rules are followed."

Incidentally, and for whatever it's worth, the sex test rules were introduced when there was suspicion that white people were cheating back in the 70s (which it turns out they were).

It is the performance and appearance of an athlete that arouses suspicion, not the colour of their skin. We all know that there are racists in South Africa, but the ASA is playing the race card to deflect any negative attention they have received for not realising Semenya's sex might be called into question and getting the necessary tests done sooner. For them to keep saying that she's a woman because she doesn't have a penis shows they don't understand the complexity of the situation.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:51:55 PM by Dpleezy »

Talentless

• I Need a Hug...
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-3
    • View Profile
yes we have incompetent black people at ASA but we also have white racist who always shout from the sidelines and offer no real solutions to the problems that this country is facing and at the same still enjoying privilleges that come with whiteness

Don't lets tar all white South Africans with the same brush. Sure there are a few. So what? There are just as many, percentage-wise, black racists. Andblack people benefitting from being black. And white people benefitting from being white. Get over yourself.

Get over yourself.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +23/-26
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
The way I see it, ASA is not taking proper care of this matter, kinda puttin the whole situation in a bad spot where media can just toy with the whole idea, poor chick is now in the battle field fighting for petty air.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Apparently someone has to make a complaint to the IAAF in order for them to investigate an athlete. In most cases it is other athletes or their athletics a**ociations who make the complaints.

The complaints process is completely confidential so it is unlikely that we'll ever know who made the complaint (unless they decide to go public).

The ASA's claim that 'racist white South Africans' caused the investigation into Semenya is extremely irresponsible because they have no way of knowing who made the complaint.

The more I hear about this story, the more I believe it is the ASA's fault that Semenya has suffered all this humiliation and indignity. What makes it worse is that there have been questions over Semenya's sex since she started competing at school level. The ASA have had many years to get the tests done so that no one could question her achievements.

It's depressing that South African leaders still resort to claims of racism to cover their a**es. It's even more depressing that South Africans are so quick to swallow the bullshit and jump on the racism bandwagon. If this thread is anything to go by, the ASA have done a great job deflecting blame away from themselves - Australians, the IAAF, racist white people and journalists have all caught wreck instead.

As I keep saying, we all know that there are racists in South Africa (and all over the world), but we should critically analyse situations before blindly accepting what people with vested interests tell us.

Winning an international gold medal should have been one of the happiest days of Semenya's life and a proud achievement for South Africa. Instead we have an entirely avoidable embarra**ing fiasco.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
^^ I totaly agree with you, the way ASA seems to be playing their cards I will not be shocked to hear they launched the complaint... But even if they didn't, they had 18yrs of her life to do the test, why didn't they do it then? I mean, during school level, they checked her every event, now on national level what did they do, and now that its international level what is it they are doing? Sittin there saying they must ask her room mate, I mean what kind of bullshit is that? Ask her room mate, nxa...

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
f*** it, she is a woman, just read the whole story on city press today, two pages worth of semenya, she just a tomboy... Nothing more. She is a woman and that's that.

Proud of her... Hope she breaks the record next olympics.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
The ASA could have cleared the whole thing up years ago. Coaches from other schools she was running against have been asking her to drop her drawers to prove she wasn't a boy since she started running as a kid.

If the ASA had been doing their job, they would have known that there would be questions about her sex on the world stage and would have had all the tests done years ago. Then she would have had official certification to show that she's a girl without having to undergo humiliating public enquiries after she's won an international gold medal.

If another athlete had made a complaint, the ASA could have just given the IAAF the certification and that would have been the end of it. Instead they did nothing and now to cover their a**es, they've got the whole country pointing fingers at racists and sexists.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
Dude, before the world championships, there claim to have been an email from someone in ASA stating there was going to be a problem with her gender. Apart from that, they claim to have tested her twice already... Last year, what could have changed from last year to this year.. I mean really, does one get a natural sex change overnight... Mxm

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I didn't know that the ASA had gone through the sex test process already. If this is true, why do they keep forwarding the argument that you can just ask her parents or her roommates? Why didn't they just say, check out the test results - we've go it covered.

I heard the main dude from the ASA on the radio claiming that their only remit was to produce world-cla** athletes. He said that when a child is presented to them as a girl, they just accept that. He claimed that it is not their job to question a child's sex.

I totally agree that Semenya has been treated like shit because of the public nature of the enquiry. However, it's not so easy to see who's fault that is. Obviously the media blew it up because it's an interesting story - but that's their job.

The IAAF president (who, for people who are interested in skin colour, is a black man), said...

"I deeply regret that confidentiality was breached in this case and that the IAAF were forced into a position of having to confirm that gender testing was being carried out on this young athlete,"

I think the interesting part is where he says 'forced into a position'. What are they supposed to do when someone makes a complaint? - their rules state that they have to investigate. You could argue that the whole thing could have been done more discretely, but that's not easy when you have a free press.

One thing is clear - for the ASA (and now the ANC) to start talking about racism, chauvinism and sexism is a joke. Where is the evidence of that? I heard on the radio this morning that the ANC are going to be appealing the UN to have the IAAF sanctioned under civil rights abuse charges.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
u make it seem as though everyone who believes that this girl was unfortunately treated like shit is on the ASA, ANC talking racism, nywe nywe nywe.. the IAAF itself has admitted that the matter should have been handled a lot better. i don't care wat colour she is or wat the ANC says... i'm talking bout the lil(big) girl suffering emotionally as a result of the IAAF not protecting her at all. whether the ASA should, would have or any of that means diddly squat. <braces himself for the expected barrage.. *thinks*> this is so easy to understand..
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
Find out more about our wonderful non racist white South African community here.

http://www.zasucks.com/

f*** 'em all. Why people like to lie to themselves and say that there are only a few white racists in SA that spoil it for the rest of them, is like saying just because shit comes out of the a**, it doesnt always have to smell.

I personally wish the government tightens the noose on these f***ers so that they can all leave and go to this 'heaven' that exists outside of our borders.

Stop fooling yourselves. Just because they smile at you and tolerate you because you speak english in an accent that they feel is acceptable doesnt mean they think any higher of you.
Beating bitches since 1982.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Stop fooling yourselves. Just because they smile at you and tolerate you because you speak english in an accent that they feel is acceptable doesnt mean they think any higher of you.

He tells no lies.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Find out more about our wonderful non racist white South African community here.

http://www.zasucks.com/

f*** 'em all. Why people like to lie to themselves and say that there are only a few white racists in SA that spoil it for the rest of them, is like saying just because shit comes out of the a**, it doesnt always have to smell.

I personally wish the government tightens the noose on these f***ers so that they can all leave and go to this 'heaven' that exists outside of our borders.

Ah, ignore them and they'll go away. Fortunately, that page represents a minority. A stupid minority at that.  ;D
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik