Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Mos Def - Ecstatic

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Oints - can you up one of the tracks you're talking about as being a masterpiece of ingenuity (or posts links where I can listen)? I must say I haven't heard most of the music that you're talking about but I'm always open to being schooled.

i should hope so, seeing that knowledge is infinite and we are all in search of it  ;)

Raheem Jamal & Raydar Ellis : BOOM BOX (2007)

Diamond District: In the ruff (2009)

i cant up the whole albums, thats suming i can do in the future, i have instead opted to zip the title track of each of these albums...

LINK REMOVED/?sharekey=44372b66a55a99ca95af63b7d44918aa591e1d3dcecee5a1

"...rappers need radio for self esteem, im on some BOOM BOX, radio RAHEEM..." (c) Evidence

now, as much as ingenuity goes, you can look through my posts, i didnt say anything about the music im listening to now being pocketed with ingenuity or mind blowing innovation...they are not musical "Einsteins" that overtly come of as trying to "revolutionize" sound but they arent stagnant either. listen to them, if youve heard anyone like them, in sound, delivery and overall execution of concept then point me in their direction....id very much like to listen to them too  ;D

Innovators always have a hard time because every time they release an album they are pushing the curve rather than just giving the fans what they want to hear. This takes bravery and commitment to your art.

i dont dispute that...Keith Murray tried it...from "ENIGMA" &"the most beautifulest thing in the world" to "she looks like a candy bar"  ::)

but we need to conscious of the fact that at times taking these giant leaps of faith and broadening ones so called sphere of creation  dosent always yield the required results...but if MOS has moved youl to create then i cant downplay that, in light of that, then his objective might have been reached...but let me say this; he lost one, in ME...

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Thanks for upping those tracks Oints.

As pleasant as those tracks are, they could have been made 10 years ago. They actually remind me of Mos Def from the Black on Both Sides era.

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Thanks for upping those tracks Oints.

As pleasant as those tracks are, they could have been made 10 years ago. They actually remind me of Mos Def from the Black on Both Sides era.

your welcome on the tracks homes  :)

and i guess to a certain extent you and i agree then, music doesnt fully have to be transformed to remain relevant, cos Oddisee spent 3months in Europe on tour...3months, and each time he performed to sell out crowds and they loved it...

as proof, the DIAMOND DISTRICT album was initially given away for FREE on their blog, 5 months after it dropped they went on to sell the hardcopy of the album and it sold about 4000 copies in the first week. the consumers, obviously including people that had the electronic version of the album liked it so much they felt compelled to cop the hardcopy :)

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
not only is this video SICK, but i will use it to end my line of argument in this debate, thank you to TATE and D PLANET for the thought provoking discussion  :D:

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Thanks for the video. It is good solid hip hop. But, like D Pleezay I will argue it could have been made in 1998 too which is not a bad thing coz I love the 98 sound but it doesnt really represent expansion which is at the center of this new Mos Def debate.

About the life stage thing I am not implying that Oints's life stage is immature or inferior to where I am right now. In fact I am saying I understand his argument coz I would have argued the same once. Not saying because I am not arguing on that side now I am superior. Just saying I am in a different life/ hip hop listening stage & thus this kind of work is refreshing to me.

Thanks for engaging us and keeping it clean Oints!

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video. It is good solid hip hop. But, like D Pleezay I will argue it could have been made in 1998 too which is not a bad thing coz I love the 98 sound but it doesnt really represent expansion which is at the center of this new Mos Def debate.

About the life stage thing I am not implying that Oints's life stage is immature or inferior to where I am right now. In fact I am saying I understand his argument coz I would have argued the same once. Not saying because I am not arguing on that side now I am superior. Just saying I am in a different life/ hip hop listening stage & thus this kind of work is refreshing to me.

Thanks for engaging us and keeping it clean Oints!

Rebbi posted up a thread here and asked what it really is we want from this website.....THIS RIGHT HERE, is IT....each one teach one, ive learnt alot from this discussion/debate....RESPECT ! ;)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
It is the most original refreshing work I have heard ALL year. There. I Said it.

THIS is the album that really pushes creativity and expands hip hop in a positive direction. Wisdom. Knowledge. Truth. Understanding.

I'm on my second listen of this album (I have a lot of catching up to do. I have about 3 gigs of music I haven't listened to. Haven't even listened to OBFCL2 yet)

But so far, Tate has described how I feel about K'naan's Troubador. I enjoy that album much more than the Mos and it contains all of the stuff you mentioned there.

I am just not feeling the Mos as much as the K'naan. It's just not as melodic for me.

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile
It is the most original refreshing work I have heard ALL year. There. I Said it.

THIS is the album that really pushes creativity and expands hip hop in a positive direction. Wisdom. Knowledge. Truth. Understanding.

I'm on my second listen of this album (I have a lot of catching up to do. I have about 3 gigs of music I haven't listened to. Haven't even listened to OBFCL2 yet)

But so far, Tate has described how I feel about K'naan's Troubador. I enjoy that album much more than the Mos and it contains all of the stuff you mentioned there.

I am just not feeling the Mos as much as the K'naan. It's just not as melodic for me.

Bolded "YOU AINT NEVER LIE HOMES" truth.com
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Troubadour is very refreshing as well. Although I must say this Mos album is even further 'left' of where Troubadour is where it comes to pushing creative envelopes. K'naan at least maintains a certain 'syntax' of track structure, length etc.

Mos has 1 verse songs on here less than 2mins long with no chorus and a mixture of rapping, singing and ad libbing. BUT it sounds good. And it can be identified as Hip Hop!

Both top notch albums released this year (last 5years even?).

king daniel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/danielinfluence
Mos nice you saw the evidence, a downside was when some cat strolled onto the stĄge and hugged him tho. This was bad in terms of future shows, security needs to be beefed up or cat§ simply won't tour SA no mo. Peace
when friends are dark days are few

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
ten tracks in and anybody hating on the Ecstatic tell em deac said f*** YOU

That not good enough for ya?

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
This is a good album. There is no doubt about that. But it is an overstatement to call it the best of week released this side of the decade.

Most of you are arguing that this album is fresh in terms of concept and style. Truth be told, there is nothing outstanding about any of those two aspects in this album. To quote various posts on this thread, "I've heard this before".

If you've had you ear to the ground in terms of experimental sound you'll find nothing revolutionary about Mos Def's blend of Jazzy instruments, vocals and experimenting with tracks lengths. Even the way he blends tracks together has long been a feature in many albums.

You could say that you did not expect this album from Mos Def. You could say you like how he varied some of his styles. You could commend him for experimenting the way he has. But to say that this album is one of a kind is pushing it.

With that being said, the tracks that i thoroughly enjoyed are

Auditorium, Life in marvelous times (Fight Nights!!!), No hay nada mas, workers comp, roses, priority.
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
On a more general note, we should be careful with the music that we call progressive. Not everything that refuses to use a crunk or grime beat is progressive.

In fact on this album, mos uses certain techniques and textures that have been neglected in hip hop during the past 10 years. If you listen carefully, you'll feel those throwbacks.

This is the kind of home-made, jam-session music we've been starved of for a while. I would not want to go as far as to call it retro, but i'd say let's not use the term 'progressive' loosely.
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
Lol progressive....

Cum'n on naw
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101