Papoose @Carfax

motho · 46 · 22214

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
http://www.jhblive.com/live/event_view.jsp;jsessionid=BCCE0C631C3F9F3502CC98381B6D4916?event_id=20919&cat=live%20music&event_label=papoose_@_carfax_battle_of_the_djs

"American rapper Papoose's five-day visit to South Africa is more than a series of performances, but a cultural exchange with local artists performing alongside... join in the final performance in Newtown."

Venue Carfax
Date Friday, 25 September 2009
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:40:33 AM by mothorolla »
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
will be there ;)

How much are we paying?
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog
will be there ;)

How much are we paying?

a whole R80

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Damn, Pap's been quiet after all the hype and his hard work on mixtapes. kid was dropping tape after tape. Last time I checked he was beefing with Saigon. never heard of him after that.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Damn, Pap's been quiet after all the hype and his hard work on mixtapes. kid was dropping tape after tape. Last time I checked he was beefing with Saigon. never heard of him after that.

remy ma went to jail and he hasnt been the same since
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Capt Schti

• Two sips from being a tyrant.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
What the f*** is wrong with you South Africans? Is there no one suitable for their job. You have a Jazz fest with washed up R&B cats and d-grade fusion bar bands.
I had already given up on the "Arts Alive" line up a full month with not a single interesting artist. And now they bring Papoose- a contriving mixtape rapper.

Why did I get a place in Newtown?              
"I just want to enter my house justified" Bloody Sam

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog

wouldnt a repeat of this be something to look forward to for Arts Alive :D

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
What the f*** is wrong with you South Africans? Is there no one suitable for their job. You have a Jazz fest with washed up R&B cats and d-grade fusion bar bands.
I had already given up on the "Arts Alive" line up a full month with not a single interesting artist. And now they bring Papoose- a contriving mixtape rapper.

totally negative vibes, bro.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

Totally agree. Papoose is a C-grade rapper at best. They should have rather gotten a local dude with talent to take his place.

Capt Schti

• AG Regular
    • View Profile

totally negative vibes, bro.

It's all out there man. I'm just a transmitter...

Anyway all of this shit is a lost opportunity.
You have heavily subsidised program meaning profit is not the big thing here. You don't need big names.
You need to educate and disseminate ART.
I was lucky as a youngster I saw Sarah Jones, Steve Colman, dead prez, Saul Williams, DJ Vadim... so forth most of these I didn't even know but I was introduced. 
This was when the ART and music people ran things.
Before the City saw how this was good for the city and instead of encouraging it ran out the people who made this things happen.
I know I was in meeting a few weeks ago with the people tasked with running this same event- here I reserve my comment.

Do I come off angry, f*** yeah, where's the f***ing art, guv...       

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog

You have heavily subsidised program meaning profit is not the big thing here. You don't need big names.

Maybe that is why they are bringing a "contriving C- Grade mixtape rapper" like Papoose instead of someone who IS still a big name at the moment like Jigga or whoever  ???

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

Maybe that is why they are bringing a "contriving C- Grade mixtape rapper" like Papoose instead of someone who IS still a big name at the moment like Jigga or whoever  ???

So you consider what Papoose does art?

I think what he means is that the idea of exposing people to artists that they would not ordinarily have been exposed to and teaching a bit is lost. Instead we are getting a rapper who sounds like every other mixtape rapper out there, probably because they are trying to save money on order to pocket it.

Then again, I may be wrong and Papoose is the future.

Capt Schti

• AG Regular
    • View Profile

I'm saying let's get a no-name A-Grade artist.    

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog

I'm saying let's get a no-name A-Grade artist.    

good point.

I guess maybe the organisers are not willing to take a risk. I mean u can easily get people to fork out R80 to see a c-grade rapper like papoose but they wouldnt pay to see someone that they have never heard of ( I know i wouldn't)

its a "risk" and it also depends on who your audience is.