Gladys Knight says Hip hop sets Black People back

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +8/-7
    • View Profile
^^^same here!
no dice
You are your best thing! - Toni Morrison (Beloved)

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
Meth and ODB said it long ago...

Hip hop cats put these people on. They sample their music and put them back in the limelight... then theyre the first people to press down on hip hop. These cats are journalists.. the only true journlists. Leave hip hop alone!

off dat...

RIP ODB
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:56:53 PM by churchofthe latterdayLatte »

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
I'm tryin to think of a Gladys Knight song that disrespected black women and/or black men. Hmmm.........,nope, nothing comes to mind.

Do you remember any one where she wasn't singing about love. Where she was singing about something like, hmmm...I don't know, uplifting black people?
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
We're talking about disrespecting and bringing down our race. I do not remember a time when she sang something that did any of the two above!!!!
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
There are many hip hop songs that don't do that. Kelis you must admit that she was too harsh. She was generalising.

In any who is she to tell us what to do. She should go sip some tea with Oprah and Cosby and let us deal with our own issues. her time is done.

It's like the grandmothers that sit in the township and all they do is complain about how these children are getting pregnant at a young age. meanwhile, back at the ranch, she started having kids when she was 16.

Hypocrisy.
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
My mother had her first child @17, she was married, most of the "grandmothers" you speak of were married when they had kids, thats besides the point. Yes you're right, its soo wrong of her to generalise but she is commenting on what she is seeing. We keep on giving the older generation that is criticising what we are not fixin, the same answer. "Mind your business, you don't know what you speak of, theres underground hip hop, let us deal with it, blah blah, blah" but we are not dealing with it, its getting worse every year and you expected our elders to keep quiet. Kufuneka bangxole kakade xa bebona isizwe sethu simoshakala, its their duty as elders.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.