our 11 official languages

Mad · 28 · 8214

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
its a good thing that our government enabled us, the south African citizens to express ourselves in our own mother tongues by all means when necessary. im really proud of my Xhosa language and im glad Xhosa's are one of the most abundant racial groups in south Africa.

11 languages?.........mmmmm so this is like the only country in africa where we have to take bullshit in 11 official languages, not that its a bad thing but i kind of think it is unnecessary. now we have the SABC delivering news in multiple languges on one channel. this is the reason why black people grow up ignorant and not conscious of many things. imagine if english was utterly used as a medium of instruction on all corners of the country, im talking in the education department, on the media and socially.

the reason why we have matriculants who are not fluent to English and who fail job interviews due to their terrible English is because we blacks don't want to adopt the modern social life, we choose to raise our kids feeding them Xhosa and all these superstitions rather than preparing them for adaptation to the English speaking world both verbally and orally.

having the SABC  deliver news in multiple languages is not going to improve anyone's child, this may sound ignorant bu think the country went a little bit far with this one. 2 or 3 languages would've done it. if we had 2 languages used primarily as the countries official languages we wouldn't be having any problems now talking to vendas and swati's.

anyway im not saying "f***" the government for giving us such previllages, im just saying that i see no point of these multiple and boring languages we have in this country. malema on his side is talking Zulu, vavi on the other side is talking his Xhosa on a channel exclusively designed for English and we have those Limpopo dudes talking their own lingo's.

what kills me is when a government person talks a language that is not english on national tv with an intention of addressing people on a particular matter, how can you deliver government matters to people of different races on your own mother tongue, how do you anticipate the other races to comprehend what you saying?

mxim............
Hood.

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
I agree that when MP's are addressing the  nation, they should do so in English so that all if not the majority of south africans can understand them. But to say that we should do away with our mother tongue is just unheard of. Yes I agree that subjects should be taught in english but i still want my kids to learn first language Xhosa and not be taught umama umeme usese in bloody std 10 just because they need to learn 1st language english. I want my kids to be able to read and write their home language. It breaks my heart when i see kids that went to coloured or white schools that can't read nor write their own language. I understand that learning their home language will not advance their careers in the future as my friend would argue but still, its their language, come on!!! Imagine, in years to come, Tswana people not able to speak, read or write Tswana properly. The thought alone just gives me goosebumps. Theres people in Angola that can't speak their language but speak portugees fluently, that goes for the DRC and french aaaah am I the only person that finds this picture faulty??
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +23/-26
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
I agree with Mad, how pissed off does one get when you are trying to enquire about something in checkers and the broad answers in qhosa, you tell her you dont understand she tells you, "you black, you must learn our language" Mae maan.
And the government sometimes seems to be one side(if not most of the time), they seriously need to pitch themselves up morally, its really not on when the nation is to be listenin and here goes this poor english speaking person asking what did malema say...
Its that 25% he got in woodwork! NXA
@Kelis, you right, but more of the infesis must go on the english, it will be no good having a child good in zulu but can't have a full conversation in english, i have heard some parents saying kids are snobs and coconuts when they communicate in english, i just think those parents are donkey a**es.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
See what I mean!! No, what?? How do u spell it then?

come on, duke. the white girl sitting next to me can spell and even pronounce Xhosa.

that's some ig'nant shit.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik
Oh f***!! Nah, that there was a moment where the gangsta in me bounced!! I knew that.....

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
Mad argues a very good point! @ Kelis - i agree that i'd also want my kids to grow up knowing their mother tongue but its a very delicate line that needs to be handled with care.. for instance.. would it not be fair to say a child must have the right to choose their mother tongue as a 2nd language subject(even if they opt for first language)? I was forced to learn Afrikaans from Std. 8 till matric! that's sum bullshit!

the fact remains though, its imperative for English to be taught in first language, preferably higher grade because.... well thats our reality! whether we like it or not..
as to the argument about official languages.. diplomacy necessitates the need for 11 official languages simply because they exist and our constitution is that broad! we must just learn our fellow brothers languages as well qha!
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
@Koli, up that's a**, since when do kids know how to make a sound decisions about their future without guidance? Yes they should teach english fine, im not disputin that, thats why i said that all the subjects should be taught in english i.e your biology, maths, science, etc even english should be taught in english lol (our native schools tend to teach everything in a native language and that includes english) but should not stop teaching our kids their language in 1st lang. Again I repeat, i do not want my kids learning umama umeme usese or Igala ligile igogogo in bloody std 10. Imagine if we stop teaching amaqhalo, how the hell are they suppose to pronounce words properly? Lol Koli, was one of your parents afrikaans peaking? Lol if I marry a person that speak another language other than Xhosa then my kids should learn that too.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Did u know there are over 300 languages spoken un Africa? *ducks*
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@Koli, up that's a**, since when do kids know how to make a sound decisions about their future without guidance? Yes they should teach english fine, im not disputin that, thats why i said that all the subjects should be taught in english i.e your biology, maths, science, etc even english should be taught in english lol (our native schools tend to teach everything in a native language and that includes english) but should not stop teaching our kids their language in 1st lang. Again I repeat, i do not want my kids learning umama umeme usese or Igala ligile igogogo in bloody std 10. Imagine if we stop teaching amaqhalo, how the hell are they suppose to pronounce words properly? Lol Koli, was one of your parents afrikaans peaking? Lol if I marry a person that speak another language other than Xhosa then my kids should learn that too.

lmao! my school didn't offer Xhosa in senior high! f***ing bastards! how unfair is that shit??? u too must realise that if umntwana wakho does not want to learn Xhosa, ala my lil sister, u can't force them. let alone 1st language in matric.. kids these days are growing out of it.. my lil sister finds afrikaans easier to learn than xhosa so she went for the marks! <smh at her..>

i agree with wat u're saying and in an ideal world where the so called top schools actually cater for 1st language xhosa from primary, that would be possible. unfortunately, thats just not how it is.. most of the lolita's i grew up with and around can't speak better than 2nd language xhosa! naso side sibengathi sintsokothe kakhulu ngamanye amaxesha.. who cares??? very few! me and u r part of that few but hey.. it's wat it is!

sukusishidilela wenaRebbi! qhosa... lmao!

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Did u know there are over 300 languages spoken un Africa? *ducks*

yes...

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Please explain more on ur point person

I wonder if there are people who speak like 20 laguages or something, that must be amazing,

*this is me trying to derail this thread coz I do not get why u guys are complaining about*
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
@Koli, we're talking about native schools guy. That's where most kids can't speak english. I'm sayin though, if people want their kids to learn english 1st language, take em to bloody white schools but sayin a Tsonga school should teach Tsonga 2nd language is just unfair to the parents that want their children to learn that language.