Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Drum Break loops

Gemini aka Gembot

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Why don't peopls use break loops anymore. I still like to play with them coz of textures. Here are my top 5 recommendations for up coming beat makers. Also check for Ultimates Breakls and Beats compilations, they have some slamming breaks on them joints:

1. Melvin Bliss - Substution
(As used in: Ghostface Killah - Mighty Healthy, Naughty By nature - O.P.P)
2. The Honey Drippers - Impeach The President
(As used in: Dr. Dre - The Chronic (Intro), Keith Murray - Its that Hit)
3. Inside My Love
(As used in: A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation, Out Kast - Southenplaylistcadillacmyzik (Diamond D Remix))
4. Edwin Starr - Easin' It
(As used in: Digable Planets - Nickle Bag Of Funk, Dogg Pound - Big Pimpin')
5. Al Green - I'm Glad You're Mine
(As used in: Notorious BIG - Whats Beef, I Got A Story To Tell, Dead Wrong feat. Eminem(Remix))

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Why don't peopls use break loops anymore. I still like to play with them coz of textures. Here are my top 5 recommendations for up coming beat makers. Also check for Ultimates Breakls and Beats compilations, they have some slamming breaks on them joints:

3. Inside My Love
(As used in: A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation, Out Kast - Southenplaylistcadillacmyzik (Diamond D Remix))
(As used in: Notorious BIG - Whats Beef, I Got A Story To Tell, Dead Wrong feat. Eminem(Remix))

thanks for bringing this up, & not cos its pertinent to beat making but because youve sighted songs that actually do celebrate the drum loop or break sampling way of making beats...CATS DO still use em though...ODDISEE of the DIAMOND DISTRICT layers the bulk of his drums on DRUM LOOP or percussion BREAKS...centers them in the pattering, chops out bits and pieces of them here and there, puts additional percussion to fit his own signature drum placement and pretty much innovates on an existing loop...

its a fun way of makin beats. i often use it when i work on songs that would bang with heavy percussion...!  :)

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

3. Inside My Love

thanks for bringing this up, & not cos its pertinent to beat making but because youve sighted songs that actually do celebrate the drum loop or break sampling way of making beats...CATS DO still use em though...ODDISEE of the DIAMOND DISTRICT layers the bulk of his drums on DRUM LOOP or percussion BREAKS...centers them in the pattering, chops out bits and pieces of them here and there, puts additional percussion to fit his own signature drum placement and pretty much innovates on an existing loop...

its a fun way of makin beats. i often use it when i work on songs that would bang with heavy percussion...!  :)

I don't really have anything to add 'cos I'm not really a producer, but damn what a great thread.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
funny thing is i have thought about this before...but i always considered it cheating for some reason..i dont know why - my knowledge on history and compositions is weak but on my preference i kinda take pride in the drums and always want them to be 100% me. but thats just me

Hybrid

• infinite perfection
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-4
  • iced out
    • View Profile
    • no site
loops? ah we talking my lingo, i like to put them on hold, hold the cluther for like 4-5 drums, music to my eras!
i stay winning

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
funny thing is i have thought about this before...but i always considered it cheating for some reason..i dont know why - my knowledge on history and compositions is weak but on my preference i kinda take pride in the drums and always want them to be 100% me. but thats just me

i feel what you talking upon ma nigg, layering your own drums is not only handy when it comes to defining your own "sound" but it helps to think outside the box...look what BLACK MILK has done, DILLA, PREMO, AGALLAH, ILL MIND...all these cats are hailed as DRUM PHENOMS..but little do people know they sample a HELLA LOTTA drum Breaks...this is where they really excel:

sample entire breaks, fit them into the song without changing anything then mute the drum loop, create a drum pattern of your own around the rest of the melody, make sure everything is quantized and fits the beat well...then un mute the previous drum loop, solo that with the new pattern they made and MERGE the two sounds...the rest of course is common sence...chop where u feel like u need to chop & leave where u feel u need to leave...but at the end of the day u have a song with like 2 or even more drum lines...SUPER LAYERING in my opinion...the technique is popular in ROCK MUSIC, where u find someone like METALLICA's drummer playing on two separate drum kits at once on a revolving chair in the middle of them both...BONKERS!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Great thread. Always wondered the same thing my self. I try and use them everywhere i can.

1. Get outta my life
2. The Sorcerer of Isis
3. N.T.
4. Sing a Simple Song
5. Why Can't people be colors

are some of my favorites. Can't seem to chop out the horns on Sing a Simple Song though. Dre did it perfectly on Deep Cover and so have a lot of people. Any suggestions ? lol !!!

Also most of them where EQ'd to perfection on most tracks from the 90's. Especially by Pete Rock. Can't get that same feel. Shows that FL + all the VST's in the world can never match the magic of a SP1200.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:44:12 AM by MrC The Rap God Almighty »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
Yep! Gr8 thread!

I co-sign wit Oints bt I tend to take a different approach mostly. Instead I layer a simple boombap drumline then leave  the track to sink in then add bits and pieces as if Im playing it live.

I got atleast 1Gb of drumloops I created myself on my Mp and 450+mb of it on FL. Im yet to create on Reason bt have merged FL and Reason using Rewire.

@ MrC - Try using I think Graphical eq under Filter tab in Audition...and use Karaoke...tweak until you get those horns.

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
AIGHT, now that we all agree that this is a very dope thread, i thought id just toss youl just SOME of the songs you might know off, infact vrey FAMOUS joints that used BREAKS:

a Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebum Rotary Connection - Memory Lane Breakbeat
Kanye West, Dame Dash, Beanie Sigel, Cam'ron, Young Chris & Twista - Champions Queen - We're the champions Breakbeat 
LL Cool J - Hot, Hot, Hot Tom Tom Club - Pleasure of Love Breakbeat 
Mariah Carey ft Jay-Z - Heartbreaker Staci Lattisaw - Attack of the Namegame Breakbeat
112 feat. Notorious B.I.G. - Only You K.C. & The Sunshine Band - I Get Lifted Breakbeat 
12th Street - Brain Damage Ma**ive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy Breakbeat 

2 Pac - When Thugz Cry Sting - Fragile Breakbeat  
2 Pac - Shorty Wanna be a Thug Hank Craford - Wildflower Breakbeat 
2 Pac - Lord Knows All I ask - Blackbyrds Breakbeat
2 Pac - Thug Nature Michael Jackson - Human Nature Breakbeat 
2Pac - Dear Mama Joe Sample - In All My Wildest Dreams Breakbeat

A+ - Enjoy Yourself Ludwig Von Beethowen - A Fifth Of Beethoven Breakbeat 
A.Z f. Nas, Nature - Time George Michael - Careless Whisper Breakbeat
Aaliyah - At Your Best (You Are Love) The Isley Brothers - At Your Best You Are Love Breakbeat
Aaliyah - Back and forth Cameo - Back and forth Breakbeat
Aaliyah - Got To Give It Up Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up Breakbeat

I GOT TONS, OVER 2000 of your FAVOURITE SONGS that are all laden with BREAKS....you can read up on them HERE:  ;)

http://www.ishkur.com/samples/index.php?genre=Breakbeat

Gemini aka Gembot

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Lol. Using breakloops is not being 'unoriginal' A drum has a kick, a snare, hats and for your own pleasure other percussions. Seriously there are mad ways to use break if you wanna be 'original'. You can only flip and bounce a drum pattern in so many ways. Music is music whether you layer a drum loop or not coz at the end of the day its about whats banging right. For me 'Mighty Healthy' is banging regardless of the fact that 'Substitution' has been looped by countless producers icluding greats like RZA, DJ Premier, Dr. Dre and countless others. Are they unoriginal or do they just know a dope drum when they hear it...

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Lol. Using breakloops is not being 'unoriginal' A drum has a kick, a snare, hats and for your own pleasure other percussions. Seriously there are mad ways to use break if you wanna be 'original'. You can only flip and bounce a drum pattern in so many ways. Music is music whether you layer a drum loop or not coz at the end of the day its about whats banging right. For me 'Mighty Healthy' is banging regardless of the fact that 'Substitution' has been looped by countless producers icluding greats like RZA, DJ Premier, Dr. Dre and countless others. Are they unoriginal or do they just know a dope drum when they hear it...

i concur, but there is an element of being LAZY that a producer needs and MUST run away from...in my opinion, there is a difference between layering your own drums on top of an existing loop or choppin certain sections of it as opposed to simple cutting and pasting...some producers (well known ones) not only tcut and paste drum loops, they cut and paste percussion loops, ba** loops and melodies as well....at the end, all this cat did was to substitue a melody over a different drum, how is that being innovative...well, i guess it stands to be argued, but i belive in manipulating the musicality of every chop...in that way shocking people when they trace it to the original, in a good way, not on some "DANG,! that nigga didnt DO SHIT to that song" hence the rapper is rapping completely over another person's SONG....sorta like a lot of KANYE's MUSIC (i.e) JEsus WALKS where the only thing he put on it where CHOPPED drums that were scooped up from another song...some people would still argue for his musical credibility but for me, that right there is being LAZY!......made even worse by the fact that you have at your disposal enough resources and trained musicians to make sure u can CREATE something ALMOST new everytime!

Gemini aka Gembot

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Music shouldn't always be a climb up Mount Everest using a shoe string and a thumb tack on a quest to make the ultimate beat. I found that my phattest beats were the ones I made in 5 minutes rather than two or three days. On "Jesus Walks" Kanye actually chopped up that "Ode To Billy Joe". Premo used the same loop on, "Can't Stop The Prophet" as is. He just looped it over a funky Jazz loop. But does it make Premo lazy? or did he just know when to quit and not over produce it. For me lazy is when RZA used GZA's "Shadowboxin'" loop and sped it up for "Faster Shadow" off the Ghostdog soundtrack, but I don't really care coz I liked it anyway. Beats should be about two things dope or wack. Not how hard he worked to disguise the fact that he used a James Brown loop over a Parliement break. (Most of Parliament is from James Brown's original band.) Music shouldn't be academic it should be fun and most of all funky

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Music shouldn't always be a climb up Mount Everest using a shoe string and a thumb tack on a quest to make the ultimate beat. I found that my phattest beats were the ones I made in 5 minutes rather than two or three days. On "Jesus Walks" Kanye actually chopped up that "Ode To Billy Joe". Premo used the same loop on, "Can't Stop The Prophet" as is. He just looped it over a funky Jazz loop. But does it make Premo lazy? or did he just know when to quit and not over produce it. For me lazy is when RZA used GZA's "Shadowboxin'" loop and sped it up for "Faster Shadow" off the Ghostdog soundtrack, but I don't really care coz I liked it anyway. Beats should be about two things dope or wack. Not how hard he worked to disguise the fact that he used a James Brown loop over a Parliement break. (Most of Parliament is from James Brown's original band.) Music shouldn't be academic it should be fun and most of all funky

AMEN BROTHER. AMEN !!!!
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile

i respect the line of argument...if the work BANGS, it BANGS, im not going to take anything away from that...on the other hand i must echo the simple but powerful sentiments of people like Pete Rock and Kev Brown..."there are so many ways to flip a sample"...its statements like that, that remind me that you can, with time, patience and proper sample scrutiny, create something close to "original" with another "original" piece of work...what i mean is that by diving into the sample and chopping it almost beyond recognition you create your own sound ENTIRELY something whose likeness to any other creation would have a lesser likelihood of existence...

all the people you have mentioned are great producers...but how many people use samples made famous by them and come close to creating beats just as SIMILAR to theirs rather than an innovated creation...?...the answer is PLENTY!

i guess what i belive in is making a FRESH SOUND. flip a sample in a way that is totally unexpected...in the end, if the joint bangs, It BANGS, but now the difference between what you would have done & what a cat who simply layered drums on a loop would have done is a more intricate creation with more of yourself in it!

Gemini aka Gembot

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile

AMEN BROTHER. AMEN !!!!
[/quote]

LOL. Well played sir.

For those who don't get it:
Amen Brother (Breakloop) - Used on NWA - Staright Outta Comption