Jr Gong & Nas

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
Jr Gong, Nas for National Geographic event
Thursday, November 19, 2009

American rapper Nas and Reggae's Damian 'Jr Gong' Marley thrilled audiences in Montego Bay this past summer as their performed together giving a snippet of what is to come on their upcoming project, Distant Relatives.

Now, internet reports are indicating that in keeping with the album's union of Hip Hop and Reggae music and culture, the duo has joined National Geographic for a Distant Relatives event.

According to the reports, on December 12, Nas and Damian Marley will come together at National Geographic's Grosvenor Auditorium in Washington DC to lead a discussion on the cultural links between the early days of Hip Hop and its Caribbean and African origins. The discussion will travel the journey from Africa through the slave trade to the American and Caribbean colonies, spawning both the dancehall parties of Jamaica and the park jams of The Bronx.

Key figures of this discussion will be present. Moderated by Sway Calloway, the Distant Relatives event will include DJ Kool Herc, Rakim, Daddy U-Roy, King Jammy, Jeff Chang and Moussa Lo and DJ Red Alert - in addition to Nas and Marley.

One website, hiphopdx.com, notes that this event is significant because it features the often reclusive 'Godfather' of Hip Hop: Jamaican-born DJ Kool Herc, who brought about the music elements of the culture to The Bronx as early as 1973. Kool Herc is paired with legendary Jamaican deejay Daddy U-Roy a rarely-credited Rap pioneer for his 1969 hit Wake The Town, recorded in the country the same year Herc moved to the States. Also speaking together for one of the first times in history cla**ic Rap innovators DJ Red Alert and Rakim will share the stage, as both have incoporated elements of African and Reggae music to their careers. Red Alert and Rakim will be joined by Hip Hop author and scholar Jeff Chang. The panel is coordinated by Reggae deejay and VIBE magazine founding editor Rob Kenner, presently authoring a book on the links between Reggae and Hip Hop.

The event will be taped to be included in the expected 2010 Distant Relatives documentary film, due around the release of the highly-anticipated album.

Big tingz a gwan... I still can't wait to hear the full project
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
    • View Profile
Lookin forward to this B-)
Real Recognise Real

Talentless

• I Need a Hug...
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Wow this sounds boring. I want to listen to good hip hop, I don't want to listen to Nas and whoever else talking about history. Sounds boring to me.

Get over yourself.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Nas. indisputably one of Hip Hop's finest.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Nat Geo FTW!  ;)
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Wow this sounds boring. I want to listen to good hip hop, I don't want to listen to Nas and whoever else talking about history. Sounds boring to me.

u couldve just ignored it, so as not to expose ur shortcomings
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up