Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

WHO RAN The 90's: Best Rap Family

Poll

When they were hot which one of these rap crews could not be touched?

DeathRow Records
6 (66.7%)
BadBoy Records
2 (22.2%)
No Limit Records
0 (0%)
Dungeon Family
0 (0%)
Aftermath/Shady
0 (0%)
Rocafella Records
0 (0%)
Cash Money Records
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
and the WU-TANG CLAN?

my point exactly...Ra** Ka**, SCAR FACE, GOODIE MOBB, BONE THUGS & HARMONY...i can go on and on...the thread was structured wrong! ::)

i like the idea but i think its best if we segment the different styles of creativity and concept, that way not only can we be able to know who contributed what, where, we woudl be able to almost put most of them in the same bracket and not jsut wildely generalise on which record label "RAN the 90s"...

im jsut sayin!!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Didn't Goodie Mobb roll with the Dungeon fam though.

Anyway, I agree though. the wrong names are up there?
And Aftermath shouldn't be there?

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
FYI... Koch Records in the 90's was a German Folk Music Label, releasing such artists as Arlo Guthrie, Natacha Atlas, Slavko Avsenik Und Seine Original Oberkrainer, don't know why you would consider them for greatest hip hop label in the 90's, Fredro Starr and Onyx and them were their first rap signing which was in 2000...  ::) ::) ::) ::)

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
FYI... Koch Records in the 90's was a German Folk Music Label, releasing such artists as Arlo Guthrie, Natacha Atlas, Slavko Avsenik Und Seine Original Oberkrainer, don't know why you would consider them for greatest hip hop label in the 90's, Fredro Starr and Onyx and them were their first rap signing which was in 2000...  ::) ::) ::) ::)

i stand corrected, scrap KOCH from my list...but i still stay adamant, we shouldnt really make it about record labels unless we clarify in what way we feel they contributed to the music, is it the solely on the business front or are we looking at the musicality?

cos if we talking business, then we gotta touch on the PUBLISHING and matters like that, which is important in that some labels might be celebrated by the layman when in actual fact had some shiest and underhanded dealings that would make them not worthy of praise but of citation as mistakes that should never be allowed to happen...

but if we talking about the musicality of the stable, then indeed, we are looking at a different story all together...

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
YOU SPEAK OF the 90s BUT YOU DONT HAVE RAWKUS RECORDS there.......................... that in my BOOK, is a CATACLISMIC DISASTER??? :-\

because another thing we need to be careful about, is the grading system, are we jsut grading these lables on "album sales" or on the IMPACT they had on the MUSICAL INTEGRITY in HIPHOP?

where is KOCH, INTERSCOPE, DUCK DOWN????

Yeah, you also forgot about LOUD Records. They were the ones who found Wu-Tang,
The Alkaholiks, Xzibit, Terror Squad, Mobb Deep, and Lil' Flip.

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
YOU SPEAK OF the 90s BUT YOU DONT HAVE RAWKUS RECORDS there.......................... that in my BOOK, is a CATACLISMIC DISASTER??? :-\

because another thing we need to be careful about, is the grading system, are we jsut grading these lables on "album sales" or on the IMPACT they had on the MUSICAL INTEGRITY in HIPHOP?

where is KOCH, INTERSCOPE, DUCK DOWN????

Yeah, you also forgot about LOUD Records. They were the ones who found Wu-Tang,
The Alkaholiks, Xzibit, Terror Squad, Mobb Deep, and Lil' Flip.

and they gave more creative rights to their artists, we all know how practically all the WU members were able to score solo deals & own a significant portion of their work by being allowed to set up sub distribution companies under loud....but before that, people like RZA (or PRINCE RAKEEM as he called himself then) were signed to labels like TOMMY BOY RECORDS (before it became TOMMY BOY ENTERTAINMENT)and got screwed over....TOMMY BOY had what most would consider a great run what with having people like BIG NOYD, QUEEN LAHTIFAH etc on board in the early days, but its looking beyond the glitz and glamour of the blinding champagne gla**es that unveils the sad truth. most of its former artists that didnt jump ship cos of iron clad contracts are living in poverty now with no access to their royalties now...

that brings me to another important point...im sure youl know about PUN'S story. bout how he lived "the glamour life" but in his death his family lives poor and with no way of getting any of his money & access to royalties, BAD CONTRACTS...thats part of the reason people like CUBAN LINK left T.S and resent FAT JOE so much...

its always nice to go beyond the superficial....!

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
I was told by a very reliable source, that Mobb Deep, and the Wu-Tang Clan were the only artists on Loud to actually get paid, Xzibit, Tha Liks, and all the rest of them got ripped off, and saw no money. the guy who told me this name rhymes with Badkid..  ::)

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
^^^ rifkind...or however that name is spelled>
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

oints

• AG Veteran
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
I was told by a very reliable source, that Mobb Deep, and the Wu-Tang Clan were the only artists on Loud to actually get paid, Xzibit, Tha Liks, and all the rest of them got ripped off, and saw no money. the guy who told me this name rhymes with Badkid..  ::)

gets more interesting now as we take a peak thru the looking gla**.......what happened to CELLAR DWELLAS, werent they also on loud at one point? better yet, where is PHANTASM, this rap shit breaks niccas if they dont have their eyes open....youl remember CAPPADONNA and him driving a cab...lol!!