Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

KRS ONE - HYPOCRITE OR HERO????

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
THE DARKSIDE OF A HIP-HOP LEGEND: Behind the Scenes with KRS-One

Several tour members referred to KRS as “The Great Conniver” and depicted him as having a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde complex. Contrary to the title of his new album “Keep Right”, a**ociates close to KRS say he is doing everything wrong.

New York, NY (PRWEB) July 9, 2004 -- Coming off a hectic KRS-One tour schedule, EOD, a Bronx-born MC and entrepreneur, had some explicit words for his longtime idol. After a chaotic KRS show at Nanci Rayguns, a Richmond nightclub, several tour members referred to KRS as “The Great Conniver” and depicted him as having a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde complex. Contrary to the title of his new album “Keep Right”, a**ociates close to KRS say he is doing everything wrong.

With the club temperature feeling like a burning inferno, it was no surprise that a catfight broke out between two drunken females in the front row. The show seemed to be going down hill until EOD and Ox, a new rapper from Atlanta, grabbed the microphones. They dropped a few highly energized verses and brought the crowd back to attention.

“The vibe wasn’t right,” said EOD. “So we had to spit some good spirits to uplift the crowd.” When the show ended, there were over a dozen performers who were part of KRS’ entourage claiming to be left behind. As they converged in front of the nightclub, they shared similar stories about KRS promising to pay them, and then pulling a disappearing act.

One dancer broke out in tears because she was paid no money, had no where to stay, and couldn’t afford the ten hour drive back to Atlanta. “His people are preying on hungry artists because they know hungry artists are like obedient slaves,” EOD continues. “They do whatever it takes to get put on!”

As more people began protesting about KRS’ apparent deceptions, EOD seemed to be appointed as spokesperson for the entire group. With the stature of a 6’5” ballplayer, EOD instantly commands attention. “KRS was like a rapping Mandela,” EOD continues. “Now it seems like he’s just perpetrating and conniving the people who depend on him.”

These strong feelings get even stronger a minute later, “You can’t be surprised, this is typical industry stuff,” EOD continues. “People just expect more from KRS than the typical shady rapper bit.”

EOD was closer to the rap legend than many others on the tour. He was handpicked by KRS to not just open shows, but to also perform along side him. They shared the performance stage, and also worshiped together at the Inspirit Truth Center in Atlanta. “I felt even more betrayed cause I thought he was a loyal character,” EOD says. “I’m about the truth, your word is still your bond in my book. I guarantee that the truth will be heard.”

HHWMag reporter, Phil Mckenzie, caught up with EOD a week later outside a New York recording studio. The Bronx MC was wrapping up production on some new songs. “I just finished Criminal Minded 04,” referring to a gritty yet catchy song about his dealings with the Blast Master KRS. “It’s time for the truth,” EOD shouts while pa**ing out a couple of CDs.

After listening to three cleverly metaphoric songs, it is hard to deny EOD as a serious lyrical contender, in the ring with a Hip-Hop legend. The buzz about “Criminal Minded 04” is spreading rapidly across the Internet, and can be heard at sites like www.HipHopWorld.net . In the song, EOD poses some serous questions about KRS’ character. The stage is set for another heartfelt Hip-Hop battle.

Metaphor, KRS’ road manager, had no comment at press time. Following the song review, HHWMag contacted EOD to praise his creativity, and also to sneak in some last minute questions.

HHWMag: What’s fueling your fire to attack KRS so hard?

EOD: I’m not attacking him. It’s all in the spirit of real Hip-Hop. My music is about truth. I respect KRS the artist, but I’m not feeling Chris the person! I appreciate what he represents to Hip-Hop, but now I know the real person. He had cats driving from Atlanta to Richmond, from VA to Cali. That’s a 3-day drive, and all they had was his WORD! Thank God I’m not starving for doe, so I was able to take planes back and forth. It was all love during the shows and then afterwards he forgot everything he promised. He’s breaching contracts left and right.

HHWMag: How did you hook up with KRS in the first place?

EOD: He caught me performing at the Inspirit Truth Center in ATL, and handpicked me to perform with him on tour. The tour started 2 days later and I was willing to drop everything to make it happen. That ain’t easy in my position. I have a business to run. Time is money man! I had a lot at stake, but when KRS personally gave me his word on things, I figured it was good as gold.

HHWMag: Aren’t you worried about the backlash of attacking a notorious battle champ?

EOD: Hell no-he attacked me! I’m 100% confident in my lyrical abilities. I thank God for them everyday. KRS don’t wanna hear about all the people he left stranded, thousands of miles from home, with a toothbrush and $5 dollars in their pockets! When you shit on people enough, eventually you get some on yourself! That’s what’s happening now. You spit on me, I spit on you and the streets feel me! It’s all in the song man. I was raised to live and die by my word. If your word is phony your whole purpose it worthless!

The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
 :-?  :-?  :-? Damn! looks like "The Teacher" played them good... kinda early to jump to conclusions tho´ can´t wait to hear what KRS has to say about the whole shit, cuz u know @ times these MC´s Act Like They Don´t Know :-]
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
like i said above "couldn´t wait" so a brotha had to go out there n invistigate, here´s what i found:

KRS-One Responds to ´Darkside´ Allegations

July 21th 2004—The legendary Rap group Gangstarr (Guru and DJ Premier) had released a song in the early 1990’s entitled; Just To Get A Rep. This song talked about the lengths that some people will go just to create a street reputation for themselves. Living in desperate situations has many urban people doing a lot of desperate things. The most recent came from a Bronx Rapper named; E.O.D. who put out a recording accusing KRS-ONE of misleading his public. Using the title of KRS-ONE’s cla**ic album (Criminal Minded) E.O.D. began to circulate a song on the internet entitled; Criminal Minded 04. The campaign to expose KRS-ONE’s shady and deceptive business practices was launched from none other than hiphopworld.net who also released a press statement with slanderous quotes from E.O.D. and others regarding KRS-ONE’s character and ethics.
But as the Good Book says; Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged… (Matthew 7:1-2). Come to find out, all such accusations made against KRS-ONE were untrue and simply publicized for E.O.D. …just to get a rep.

The accusations were that KRS-ONE, after promising some 20 to 30 aspiring artists that they would tour with him, reneged on his promise. And after these artists (mostly from Atlanta) made their way to their first performance with KRS-ONE in Virginia, KRS-ONE left them stranded with no way to get home. E.O.D. immediately took advantage of the situation by releasing his song Criminal Minded 04 claiming to be exposing the truth about KRS-ONE. It turns out however that none of his accusations were exactly true.

The truth is that KRS-ONE, in an attempt to give unsigned and inexperienced artists a shot at getting their careers started, held an audition in Atlanta to see who was actually talented enough to tour with him. The registration fees ranged anywhere from $25.00 to $100.00. This was KRS-ONE’s way of finding out who was really serious about their careers and prevent a mob scene. The proceeds raised from the auditions went towards the free public events of Hip Hop Appreciation Week which KRS-ONE with the Temple of Hiphop has produced every third week in May for the past 7 years.

According to a video tape of the Atlanta auditions, KRS-ONE explained repeatedly from the stage and at a private 4 hour session at the Sheraton hotel in Atlanta that he was introducing a new training program for aspiring artists. He explained on several occasions that …you will need to have some money, a car and be of good character with …some knowledge of road travel in order to …keep up with him. He also explained that …if you were chosen to go on tour with him that the most you could hope to receive was a hotel room and possibly $135.00 (one hundred and thirty five dollars) per date to cover your gas expenses. And even this was not guaranteed. It was clear that this opportunity was not an open invitation to tour with KRS-ONE. This opportunity was a chance for aspiring artists to be given professional training in a professional setting. Basically, KRS-ONE was using his already contracted tour dates to give new artists the career opportunities that they would not have had access to otherwise.

KRS-ONE asked a few of the audition artists if they could get to his next concert in Virginia. He explained clearly that he was still reviewing everyone and that he was using a real live concert to put them to the test. Those who agreed to come were told upfront what they could expect—E.O.D. included. All of this by the way was video taped. KRS-ONE immediately took a liking to such Emcees as; OX, Issues, Figgaz of Speech, First Born and a few others. After the Virginia concert KRS-ONE thanked everyone for their involvement and through his tour manager Meta 4 explained again that if they wanted to continue with him that they would have to come with their own resources. Meta 4 further explained that to roll with KRS-ONE you will have to be serious about Hiphop as a cultural movement and not consider this opportunity …just a chance to get paid touring with KRS-ONE. However, OX and his brother had explained to Meta 4 and to KRS-ONE himself that they had run out of money and could not continue with KRS-ONE, but that they would catch up later. Not wanting to see OX and his brother sleep in their car after their performance, KRS-ONE got them a hotel room.

KRS-ONE would eventually take the artists (Emcees) Issues, Fort Knox and First Born with him to California for more training. These Emcees spent their own money and resources to continue their own training which took them all over the west coast including Los Angeles and Las Vegas. In no way was anyone mislead or taken advantage of. E.O.D has never toured with KRS-ONE and has no contracts or other business dealings with KRS-ONE. However, without KRS-ONE’s knowledge and with no way for KRS-ONE to even know the possible grievances of those that he attempted to help; Criminal Minded 04 began circulating on the internet and the only consistent voice for Hiphop’s cultural development (KRS-ONE) was being attacked and falsely accused of deceiving his public. How does such a good and noble idea as helping aspiring artists get exposure turn into this?

KRS-ONE has since been on the phone with E.O.D. and like the true leader that KRS-ONE is, he has still offered to help E.O.D. get his career started (talk about character). Weather as a live performer, battle Emcee, recording artist, author, lecturer, or whatever, KRS-ONE is still the greatest Emcee of all time and a man of high morality. His new 2004 album (13th) KEEP RIGHT is indeed a conscious cla**ic.

Its funny though, how all of these statements claiming how KRS-ONE is …conniving, …deceptive, and even …slimy should surface now at the launch of his KEEP RIGHT project. You mean, after all of these years (over 17) no one knew about KRS-ONE’s alleged shadiness. All of a sudden KRS-ONE can be placed with the very corrupt music industry that he himself has spent his entire career warning us about? If KRS-ONE is as slimy and deceptive as those sources close to him claim, are they not just as slimy and deceptive for working with him whenever they did? None of them quit! The truth is that KRS-ONE distanced himself from most of THEM. Why is that? It seems that KRS-ONE is cool as long as you are getting what you want from him. Such slander should not be tolerated by the true Hiphop community.

As a final thought. After this drama, why would any major recording artist attempt to help any aspiring artist ever again? Why would KRS-ONE himself open his door again? After this, I would not be surprised if KRS-ONE turned his back on Hiphop Kulture itself! What he (KRS-ONE) did, he did not have to do and this is the way in which he is being thanked for it? True Hiphoppas should pay very close attention to this. We are always crying out for leadership! We expect our artists to give back to the hood! Everybody is in need of a break! However, when such leadership steps up with real opportunities for our community we never fail to find fault with them, weaken them and tear them down! Our parents and grand parents did the same things with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Kwame Toure, Ghandi, and others. We seem to love distracting, debating and destroying the very people sent to make things better for everyone. How then shall we ever be free? How shall our children attain any new opportunities if in our desperateness we stoop to activities like these …just to get a rep? Slimy or not I stand with the Teacha!

Be New—Temple of Hiphop

img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]

FT

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Criminal Minded ’04???  I heard the slanderous claims and I thought it waz  preposterous... another opportunist, pulling public stunts to seize fame [an’ fortune] off the legend with stupid false accusations. Canibus tried it and failed dismally... KRS rep and cred will be tarnished a bit but he has loyal fans [me as one of ‘em].
Remember sh*t like this happened previously, Puffy & Rakim accusing him of owing ‘em as well??
:-o
IYASKO___FT!

Anonymous