Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Research hip hop in Advertising

Guest · 30 · 9359

Anonymous

coon him say:

what sucks though is reality...at presant, the only people with enough BIG SKRILLA helping b-boys live of what they do are dickhead corporates with no interest or understanding (let alone love) for hip-hop.

they have the cash to sponsor cats and hold shows...PAYING SHOWS!! all we need to do as heads is make sure that the exploitation is not one way...don´t coon yourself to rediculous heights for a couple of fame seconds...because credibilty and respect is a hard thing to earn, let alone get back!!

...and i think even most imporatant is that once the festival of cooning is complete and done (read: the world´s currnet love affair with all things hiphoppy-like) they will spit you out and all you will have is the ´hiphop community´...fukthepolicefukthemachinefuk´em!

i think! we´ll see...
coon

Anonymous

but yo...
we gotta eat...
and keep eating!!
i want to be rich off this hiphop schitt...
if mr van de merwe is giving up that big Skrilla...sheeeeet, i´m in it to win it!!

hiphoppers are dumb because we look down on success instead of understanding that it means more studios, magazines, good syatems, getto turntables, production equipment, payola for that radio airtime, radio stations...
if some people in right places made the skrilla, with the right mentality...we could all be bombing on betty!

yeaaaaaah boooooooiiiiiii!!

faaibop

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote:

23-07-2004 at 10:37, cvdmerwe :
Hi I´m doing some research on hip hop from a marketing perspective for a large Retail chain in South Africa and would like to pose some questions to the hip hop community.  I am not a hip hop fan and my knowledge is limited to the likes of Ja Rule and Nelly.  So please do not flame me.

If you could just post your responses here I´ll appreciate it and perhaps we can get some discussion going:

1.  What is Johannesburg´s hip hop communities perception of Cape Town´s hip hop scene?
2.  When you see hip hop being used in a TV or Radio advert what are the things you don´t like seeing/hearing?
3.  If a corporate company were to use hip hop as a vehicle to sell it´s products what would you consider acceptable?
4.  What products do you a**ociate with hip hop?  Is it clothing?  Food?  Or nothing?
5.  Which artists should companies endorse?  Who is really deserving of this?
6.  Do you, as the youth, really wanted to be "branded"?  Would you prefer to create the brand with the company?  Is that a better approach?  What do you think?
7.  How can corporate companies help the hip hop culture?

Thanking you in advance
Craig

1. jozi kets aa in de gaym tu mayk kraizy moonshine, while Kayp Town kets wanna jus keep it Real. in a nutcell, jozi got kepitalists en Kayp Town got purists.

2. dees days hiephop on TV is kwite entertaining. beck in de day when Toyota Top 20 was on teevee we hed a lot of watered down hiephop used in ads on teevee. et leas we get trecks by real emcees used in teevee ads deed days. i jus love de new Sprite ad wit de rednex in de droptop.

3. i tink if a korprate uses hiephop to sell dey products, it shoult be seen as a learning kurf for budding hiephop entreprinoors.
(2 GUYS I KNOW STARTED A HIEPHOP WEPSITE CALLED http://www.boombap.co.za"> DE BOEMBEP AND DEY WILL HEV A SECTION ON DEVELOPING DE SKILLS OF DE HIEPHOP ENTREPRINOOR).
insted of bitsching and moaning we should  look et what de korprates do det we can also do despite our limited resources.
We hev de edvantage over korprates in det we are part en parsel of de hiephop messiv.

4. hiephop ees life. life ees hiephop. i em a hiephop hed. de tie det i wear tu church ees a produkt i a**ociate myself wit. de mix veggies i eat ees a produkt i a**ociate myself wit. i tink det people "on de outsyde" aar also out of touch.

5. is dis a trick questin?

6. branded? det depends on how far de kepitalist instinkt is developed. hiephop heds from Kayp Town like to keep it real (i doubt dey know what det mean), but dets how it ees.
generally speeking, hiephop itself ees a brand - a global one too. no other kulchural phenomenon has influenced youth like hiephop hes.. en on a global scale nogal. so ya, branding is part of de peckage (most of da Efrikasgateway groupies will deny dis).. a very integral part i dare say..

7. Dey ken start by adopting an area of de kulchure to develop, vor ekzample b-boying is a physically dangerous aatform, en dey ken provide safety fasilities. Or graf is a very expensif aatform, en dey ken provide moonshine vor spreykens. And... Dis is a rhetorikil questions hey?

.the most insidious emcee on the block
blowin' up the spot.. pa** the mic and watch me rock" - MR. DEVIOUS

alias_the_bending_spoon

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aliasbenz
>>Its only logical that heads get defensive when it comes to a culture here´s a scenario
-Durban hEad, Hard, Matured weLL toned and deFined by a reSume of tHe stReets as A Legend. Then some wack a** faggats maKe the right connections and tne next thing "EAST Coast Flava" are representing Durban Hip HOP with a hit song overplayed by metro and all these wannabess fakers start bumping that shit-

It does get hostile Mr VAN when you "suits" phuck up our thing. at least for now j-sec and kaapstad are part of your research Stay the phuck out of Durban.(Excuse my deep felt opinions).

Headz are sleeping... 36 chambers enter the WU is a cla**ic example of ´head´-run, ´head´-maintained and ´head´-owned...

The idea MR VAN  is to attend shows stay outside and listen during ciphers, watch battles, read up, try to understand the concept behind any project you see, hear. get stranded with nothing but Hip Hop to save you and who knows you might become a bedroom mc then you´ll understand
Peace Microphonic Tungs_ K Balck, Msk, Sangoma Samagama
Peace Proffessor Blututh
Peace Nymphonik Bastards
Peace Outfits of Executive Outkumz
Peace Durban!!!!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Quote:

27-07-2004 at 13:01, alias_the_bending_spoon :
>>
The idea MR VAN  is to attend shows stay outside and listen during ciphers, watch battles, read up, try to understand the concept behind any project you see, hear.

This is probaby the best advice any of us could give. You wanna learn about hip hop, the best would be to ahng around the heads. You´ll learn more there, than anywhere on the net.

Who knows, you might even become a head yourself.

faaibop

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
whoah laitiebru from de eest coat..
what kind ekse?

u chooning span over here.
how cum your wepsite is on a free domain?

is it ´cause you spend all your money on fukking FUBU, La Coste etc..
afraid to spend your money on REAL hiphop???
.the most insidious emcee on the block
blowin' up the spot.. pa** the mic and watch me rock" - MR. DEVIOUS

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Cape purists???????
Jsec what????

that hell?

..i read Hype the magazine and i wanted to see what the hype was and there was this article about ´beef´..what was it tale of two cities whatnot?

i think both cities have misconceptions about each other...all i think tho is that CPT cats...well..yeah i am rather biased so i´ll see how this thread progresses before i speak my mind about the subject...

as for ad agencies making money off of hip hop culture, lifestyle...music or whatever..

they never get it right coz they reasearch though word of mouth or "popular" hip hop "gatherings"..such as websites, clubs etc.....you will get nothing frm here...if you wanna adertise..or whatnot..hang with people not user names. on a hip hop forumn....what a briCK..?...then you will learn..otherwise you will get it wrong and piss everyone off...yeah...I can endorse Amstel if you want tho.....
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
i am drunk and high so yeah

Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

alias_the_bending_spoon

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aliasbenz
Durban has so many real mcz with brilliant lyricism and concepts ill tell you what kills us. procastination and pure laziness. no wonder we have free websites faaaibop.
i need some poison....<<<{{ mind crankin009876665in>>??///][[
Peace Microphonic Tungs_ K Balck, Msk, Sangoma Samagama
Peace Proffessor Blututh
Peace Nymphonik Bastards
Peace Outfits of Executive Outkumz
Peace Durban!!!!

Thank you for your responses.  After a long meeting today it was decided that we will put our money into developing skateboarding instead.  
thank you for you time
Craig!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Yeah, skaters are much easier to phuck over. Plenty of posers who´ll buy any product hoping it will make them look like real skaters and get them skate chicks.

Anonymous

Quote:

05-08-2004 at 17:49, pYROKINETIX :
Yeah, skaters are much easier to phuck over. Plenty of posers who´ll buy any product hoping it will make them look like real skaters and get them skate chicks.

nuff sed! :-]

Anonymous

Quote:

05-08-2004 at 17:42, cvdmerwe :
Thank you for your responses.  After a long meeting today it was decided that we will put our money into developing skateboarding instead.  
thank you for you time
Craig!

think I said it befo:  phuck off adman :-Y  :-Y

The Ebony Cat

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Van Der Merwe.

I just wanna apologise for us wasting your time.

We don´t really mean to be a bunch of thinking people that refuse to be fodder to ma** marketers.

I trust you´ll have a lot more luck with skateboarding.

Keep smiling.

Arthur Degrate
Proprietor
INYOURFACE COMMUNICATIONS
The Ebony Cat
Capitalist Nigga No. 1
South Africa

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Quote:

05-08-2004 at 17:42, cvdmerwe :
thank you for you time
Craig!

break a leg dude!... lol
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]