Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Sangomas plan to slaughter bull in CBD

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

A group of sangomas plan to slaughter a bull on Thibault Square during the opening ceremony of a festival aimed at drawing people to the CBD.

But a decision from the City of Cape Town to grant permission to the organisers of the annual Infecting the City Festival is still pending.

The performing arts festival happens on the streets and public squares of the city.

The sacrifice is part of its "Human rite" theme, which will showcase a host of traditional ceremonies in the city centre.

Brett Bailey, curator of the festival, said he approached a group of Xhosa sangomas on how they proposed opening the festival in a traditional manner.

He said they had suggested a slaughter to commemorate their Xhosa ancestors, who had died as prisoners on Robben Island between the 19th century and the 1980s.

Bailey, who had done some research, suggested using the square, which had been under the ocean at the time and connected the rite with the sea flowing to Robben Island.

"The Infecting the City team is seeking permission from the city authorities for the ritual slaughter," he said. It was not a "shock gesture" because the suggestion came from traditional leaders. There was a lack of Xhosa spirituality in the city and the goal was to encourage "marginalised" groups to come to the CBD.

"We don't see Xhosa centres. We have churches for Christians, synagogues and mosques. In planning this festival we looked at who is not represented, who is absent from the city," he said.

Charles Cooper, spokesman for the City of Cape Town, said the permission for the ritual slaughter was still pending.

from www.iol.co.za

what's your take?

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
*sigh* probably another money making scheme driven by a white man hidding behind a "black culture" thing to atract other whites who wanna see blacks but in the comfort of the City....blacksploitation at its worst!
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
this is dope! Infecting the City continues to be one of the most exciting and relevent things to ever happen in town. Xhosa centres are very dope idea. Cape Town city centres been whitewashed for too long.

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
eish, you know. you just never know you know.

its all good and fine to be doing these things. but we so seldom actually really get into the hows of what we're doing with them. we can know why we're doing them and why theyre such important interventions and yet so much can remain questionable about it all. in its execution. this is how i feel. this good to be having them vs how its all actually going down. and what it means. the integrity of the process is just as important as the need to do. and sometimes theres friction there. where the display becomes more important than the true meaning and its potential for use. with vision, artistically, thematically, stylistically on point but... 

idealistic maybe but i dont know, thats just my opinion.

that said, i may very well be dropping out of this festival.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
I saw that sculpture of Jesus in high heels in this week's M&G, I am thinking of bunking work so I can see how they execute the whole thing, seems interesting enough

has anyone caught one of the shows yet?
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
People should stop with all this unnecessary bullshit. I know it's culture and blah blah, blah, but if your culture is stupid it is stupid.

I'm so sick of people spending time and money on stupid shit, when they should be focusing their attention on really big important things.

What is the point of this? Couldn't these f***ers be doing better shit.

And don't even think of pulling the race card. This shit is stupid.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Ag Pyro, just let these people be. i say let ppl do whatever they want, be it art or useless or whatever. I think it is interesting, I just wish the timing wasnt so crappy so i can catch all the shows.

what would you describe as better shit exactly? the Hype Awards?
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Follow-up:

Cape CBD bull slaughter scrapped:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20100212132438142C301653

damn.

"The paperwork was going take a hell of a long time and we just weren't going to be able to get it done," he said.

Slaughter applicants are required to apply to the City of Cape Town's health department, which then inspects the site. The city must check whether there is water for the animals, approve the staff handling the meat, oversee the disposal of intestines and blood and ensure that the area is dry and dust-free.

Health department head Dr Ivan Bromfield said it was important that slaughtering was done humanely.

bureaucracy wins. would have been, dope, Cape Town.