Africasgateway.com

Random Thoughts

briCK · 953 · 570477

Yung lansky

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-2
  • One Shot
    • View Profile
IDEOLOGY IDEOLOGY IDEOLOGY! There has yet to be a solid plan put forward on how exactly this would happen and if so how it benefit the 'ma**ses' he so loves.  Malema has not indicated whether he intends outright acquistion of the mines or another alternative such as the new state owned mine. He has not shown how the intends to attain the  tWo essential pre-requisites for the least turbulent nationalisation which are educated/trained population and the necessary money for acquistion of the mines. Unfortunately neither of these can be achieved in the next 20-30 years at the very least. This whole story of exporpriation without copmpensation is a JOKE. The courts will eat  that whole shit up, look how they are taking Uncle Bob's mansions in CPT for shit that happened in Zim!!!!! The second point education/training is even worse considering  Umalusi is adjusting marks for Maths and science infront of our eyes. If students cant pa**/arent doing SG mathematics and/or physics  how do you expect them to develop ways to increase the yield of a certain mine 
Apparently less than 100 black South Africans were registered in the professional society of engineers  last year, and I can bet that the majority of these people will be drafted into the double-chinned vampire club as opposed to the engineers that the economy desperately requires.
These problems were faced in Africa over 50 years ago , and up to today there is no known solution. I honestly think nationalisation in the next 10 years could lead to the worst post-colonial anarchy we have ever seen. The question we need to ask ourselves is whether we are ready to go through hells kitchen to reach the place we  think is best for us.
EXTORTIN the INDUSTRY

zero47

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Then the issue here is training the people who will eventually manage these mines. Royal Bafokeng wouldnt have managed it well without some form of training/education. This is part of the youth leagues proposal.
[/quote]
Royal Bafokeng got in people qualified to run mines and have the business acumen to run a mine, just because you got a few tenders does not mean that you can run a business... One of the proposals the league suggested was to start with new mining entrepreneurs. this should be read as, the Tokyo's and Patrice's have had their time now it is our time ( Youth Leauge executive members). He mentions that the land/mines should be taken without  compensation, from his SAFM interview "When new mining licences are issued, the state should hold 60 percent of the ownership, and the mining company 40 percent. Mines already operating could hand over the 60 percent portion to the state and, over time, be paid back through profits. " and where is the non compensation part. Zambia tried doing nationalisation of their copper mines and they were apparently losing $1m a day, and now they are back to what it was before nationalisation and zambia has one of the better growth rates in Sub-Saharan Africa, better than South Africa's.

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
My theory is that there should be a law that says that the proceeds from Mining go directly to infrastructure development and enhancement.
Our mining industry in South Africa is a driving force of our economy and although there are problems of wealth distribution its nothing compared too the oil mining shambles in Angola and Nigeria and the exploitation of minerals in war-torn DRC where in the end the money flows to Europe and some well connected people.

In short I am saying I agree that we do need a reform of the mining industry. But a reform which is more meaningful than BBBEE and which does not cripple everything like Nationalisation would. Create a framework where wealth from minerals mining goes DIRECTLY to infrastructure development -this goes for the whole of Africa and fund education to supply more mining engineers.

!
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Zambia tried doing nationalisation of their copper mines and they were apparently losing $1m a day, and now they are back to what it was before nationalisation and zambia has one of the better growth rates in Sub-Saharan Africa, better than South Africa's.

there's another explanation why that happened bro, its not just because they nationalised.

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Eish, rest in peace to Kader Asmal!!!

beatz:

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
@JonahFisher 
Very sad that Kader Asmal has died. He wrote to me following the Malema incident apologising for the way I'd been treated.

LOL
beatz:

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
what is the point of this proposed nationalization?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

K'niep Tang

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-4
  • Wadata!
    • View Profile
Interesting article I found on the Daily Maverick, but even more engaging is the comments below. Not your typical News24 trash. See an excerpt below

http://www.thedailymaverick.co.za/article/2011-06-22-nationalisation-the-capitalists-strike-back

It's quite difficult to know at this stage how this whole debate is going to end. One of the problems is that the League is a little cavalier with its definitions, and what does it mean by nationalisation in the first place? It doesn't quite say. At the same time, the ANC is clearly split on this issue - as it is with so many others.

But the introduction of business should help, at the very least there should now be a debate, a discussion. But of course, in politics, and particularly with this, speaking up can be the easy part. Getting the young lions to listen, now, that is the hard part.
I'm like a bunch of dynamite sticks - i'm bound to blow
www.myspace.com/tang1632
http://r-senic.blogspot.com

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

To end white domination.

those that agree. please explain to me what you think the mean when they say the want the nationalization of mines.

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile

To end white domination.

those that agree. please explain to me what you think the mean when they say the want the nationalization of mines.

The idea isn't necessarily to end white domination however they want
the minerals of South Africa to benefit the people of South Africa. Currently what is happening is the mining companies are digging the minerals - paying the miners minimum wage - then they ship the minerals back to their countries and the end product is then sold back to us at exorbitant prices. The people in S.A get nothing but the odd minimum wage. By nationalising it, our people do the mining, the processing and manufacturing which if you think about will create jobs, because you would need to train our people to do all of that.  I’m all for nationalisation, I do have reservations like everybody else because they really haven’t  explained to us what the plan is but I say better to try and fail then to never have tried at all.

zero47

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Zambia tried doing nationalisation of their copper mines and they were apparently losing $1m a day, and now they are back to what it was before nationalisation and zambia has one of the better growth rates in Sub-Saharan Africa, better than South Africa's.

there's another explanation why that happened bro, its not just because they nationalised.

then what happened bro, croynism, new mining entrepreneurs...

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Copper was losing value.

DAMOLAAA

• AG Regular
    • REP: +9/-1
    • View Profile

Copper was losing value.

due to speculation  or an actual decline in demand for copper. I doubt it is the latter although its not an informed guess. Kinda like Mugabe not being the reason for hyperinflation in Zim. As long as Africa contributes about 1 percent to global trade , nationalization will not work cos the African (country) will simply be economically ostracized by the "powers that be".
Scratch Head

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
due to speculation  or an actual decline in demand for copper. I doubt it is the latter although its not an informed guess. Kinda like Mugabe not being the reason for hyperinflation in Zim. As long as Africa contributes about 1 percent to global trade , nationalization will not work cos the African (country) will simply be economically ostracized by the "powers that be".

intriguing that this entire continent only contributes 1 measly percent.

conceptually nationalization is a terrific idea. but i have a big problem with concepts cos they rarely translate into real working success.  im eager to hear what the 'plan' is if there is one. im skeptical about its success. i guess we wait and see then