Beat Magician of the Day: DJ Premier

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt

Premier is known for producing the majority of Gang Starr's songs as well as many of the Gang Starr Foundation's songs. His work also includes production for heavyweight rappers such as Nas, Jay-Z, Mos Def, 50 Cent, Scarface, Big L, Lord Finesse, M.O.P., The Notorious B.I.G., D.I.T.C., The LOX, Royce Da 5'9", Redman, Ghostface Killah, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Fat Joe, Snoop Dogg, rock band Limp Bizkit and pop singer Christina Aguilera amongst a plethora of others.

Premier collaborated with MC Jeru the Damaja on the album The Sun Rises in the East, released in 1994, as well as the 1996 follow-up, Wrath of the Math. Also from the Gang Starr Foundation, Premier produced and supervised Group Home's Livin' Proof; although overlooked at the time of its 1995 release, the album has since come to find similar acclaim. Among others in that are closely tied to the Gang Starr Foundation who have worked with DJ Premier include Afu Ra, Krumbsnatcha, Big Shug, Smiley the Ghetto Child, and NYGz. He recently produced the majority of Blaq Poet's The Blaqprint in 2009 & will produce the entirety of NYG'z debut album.

DJ Premier's style of production epitomizes the New York sound of his earlier peers. He is known for sampling jazz, funk, and soul artists, as well as sampling an artist's past work when creating a new track for that same artist. In addition, his encyclopedic memory of hip-hop lyrics allows him to distinctively speak with his hands by scratching in lyrics from several different songs to construct new phrases. Premier's beats are known for his oft-imitated combinations of short vocal samples, often from multiple artists, to create a chorus. Premier has also experimented with atonal samples that are not confined to soul, jazz, and funk. For example, he sampled chopped up seminal electro-acoustic music from the 1960s on the track “Mental Stamina” by Jeru the Damaja.

In an interview with XXL Magazine, DJ Premier was asked how his sound evolved, to which he replied, "Marley Marl is my number one inspiration. Jam Master Jay, Mixmaster Ice and UTFO. Grandmaster D and Whodini. DJ Cheese, Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa. Jazzy Jay, even Cut Creator. Seeing them do what they do. It’s black music, it’s black culture, it comes from the ghetto. How can you not relate to ghetto people when that’s the rawest form of blackness? Even though it’s not a good place in regards to the economy and how bad people have it in the neighborhood, the realism’s there, and that’s what we were born out of. So I very much pay respect by doing the same type of music in return." DJ Premier attended Prairie View A & M University and may have been influenced by the musical atmosphere at the university

This dude has done ALOT in the 90s....im just gonna cover the 2010 and 2011...check out the rest here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Premier_discography

2010:

Fat Joe - The Darkside Vol. 1
"I'm Gone"

Joell Ortiz - Project Boy Single
"Project Boy"
Sample Credit: Royce da 5'9" - "Hip Hop" (vocals by Royce Da 5'9")
Sample Credit: Nas - Nas Is Like (vocals by Nas)

Bun B - Trill O.G.
"Let 'Em Know"
Sample Credit: Big L - "Flamboyant"

Canibus - C Of Tranquility
"Golden Terra of Rap"
Sample Credit: Busta Rhymes Feat. Chauncey Black (singer) & Q-Tip - "You Can't Hold The Torch"
"Golden Terra of Rap iM Remix Feat. Donwill, Von Pea & Truthlive"

Smiley The Ghetto Child - The Antidote Part 2
"I'm Legend"

Big Shug - I.M.4EVA (Invincible Music 4 Eva)
"Spit Six"

SoulKast - Bientot L'Album
"Premiere Salve"

Year Round Records - DJ Premier Presents Get Used To Us
1. "Bang Dis!" (Blaq Poet)
2. "Policy" (NYGz)
3. "Opportunity Knock" (Nick Javas)
4. "Hot Flames" (Khaleel)
5. "Epic Dynasty" (Dynasty)
6. "Fine By Me" (MC Eiht)
7. "Temptation" (Young Maylay) * not produced by DJ Premier
8. "5%" (KRS-One Feat. Grand Puba)
9. "Ya Dayz R #'D (NYGemix)" (NYGz Feat. Lady Of Rage, Freddie Foxxx, & Royce Da 5'9")
10."Sing Like Bilal" (Joell Ortiz)
11."Married 2 Tha Game" (Teflon Feat. Styles P)
12."Not A Game" (Nick Javas)
13."Ain't Nuttin' Changed (Remix)" (Blaq Poet Feat. MC Eiht & Young Maylay)
14."Lifetime Membership" (Teflon Feat. Saigon & Papoose)
15."Rappin' Exercise" (Feat. Panchi of NYGz)
16."The Gang Starr Bus" (Freddie Foxxx)

2011:

Reks - R.E.K.S (Rhythmatic Eternal King Supreme)
25th Hour

Christina Aguilera - TBA
TBA

NYGz - Hustla's Union: Local NYG
Entire Album

DJ Premier - Beats That Collected Dust Vol. 2
01. "John T."
02. "Ch-Ching"
03. "Dots"
04. "Doomp Doomp Doomp"
05. "Stylesss"
06. "Epic-ishh"
07. "Beautiful"
08. "Change"
09. "Live Pro"
10. "I Don't Know"
11. "Late Night"
12. "N.Y.S.O.M.#20"

Pete Rock v.s. DJ Premier - TBA
TBA

Freddie Foxxx - The Kollexxxion
TBA

Nick Javas - Destination Unknown
Not A Game
Opportunity Knocks
Doomsday (feat. Royce Da 5'9")

Game - The R.E.D. Album
"Born in The Trap"

Teflon & DJ Premier - Contraband
TBA

KRS-One & DJ Premier - Return of the Boom Bap
TBA

Joe Budden - The Great Escape (Joe Budden album)
TBA

MC Eiht - Which Way Is West?
TBA

Khaleel - Already!
"Hot Flames"

Prop Dylan - TBA

Immortal Technique - The Middle Pa**age
TBA

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
"i remember when PREMO beats were still LAW"

who hasnt this cat produced for?

with that out the way, i guess whats more of a pertinent question is this "is he still a viable option in HIPHOP, does his music still command the same level of respect and ingenuity it did in the 90s?"

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
oh, cats might find this interesting...for that PREMO vs PETE ROCK record....GZA will be making a guest feature...one of the few glimpse we've had so far on the album's creation & what the roster looks like...!

Ramorethetho

• Weed is green paper is brown coke is white you are a bitch so as your wife
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-18
  • Linux and Novell f***ed and gave birth to SuSe
    • View Profile