Beat Magician of the Day: Kev Brown

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt
The true genius behind Jazzy Jeff's The Magnificent...get ya learn on!

Kev Brown made his debut as a featured artist on Marley Marl’s BBE Beat Generation series instalment Re-Entry (2001). His guest appearance alongside Grap Luva left an impression on the underground and he subsequently contributed a track to De La Soul’s AOI: Bionix later that year.

Kev Brown continued to build his resume with contributions to DJ Jazzy Jeff’s The Magnificent (2002). As a then-member of Jazzy Jeff’s production-for-hire unit A Touch Of Jazz, Brown contributed no less than 7 tracks to the project yet it wasn’t until his remix of Jay-Z’s The Black Album, aptly titled The Brown Album was released in January, 2004 that he began to receive recognition.

As the first producer to do so (to date there are more than 100 submitted remixes of the project), Brown made use of Jay-Z’s starpower and commercial appeal. Although his time in the spotlight was somewhat overshadowed by DJ Danger Mouse’s The Grey Album (2004), a remix project of the same album noticeable for its use of The Beatles’ White Album (1968) as a soundbed for Jay-Z acapellas, Kev Brown was nevertheless able to garner enough of a following to embark on a solo career.

After numerous productions and collaborations with artists throughout 2003 and 2004, Brown made his debut in 2005 with I Do What I Do through the independent Up Above imprint. The single, “Life’s A Gamble”, followed in late 2005. Kev Brown is currently working with Freddie Foxxx on a full-length project.

>I Do What I Do (Up Above Records,  2005)
>I Do What I Do (2xLP, Album) (Up Above Records,  2005)
>I Do What I Do (CD, Album) (Up Above Records,  2005)   
>I Do What I Do (Sampler) (CD, Album, Smplr, Promo) (Up Above Records,  2005)
>I Do What I Do Instrumentals (2xLP, Album, Ltd) (Up Above Records,  2006) 
>LMNO & Kev Brown - Selective Hearing (CD, Album) (Up Above Records,  2008)
>LMNO & Kev Brown - Selective Hearing 2 (CD, Album) (Up Above Records,  2010)

K'niep Tang

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-4
  • Wadata!
    • View Profile
Busy bumping 'I Do What I Do' now...thise dude's style is too nice
I'm like a bunch of dynamite sticks - i'm bound to blow
www.myspace.com/tang1632
http://r-senic.blogspot.com

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Hmmmm, KEVIN BROWN...HMMMMM....hes a bit of a tricky one...do i like him?....(i dont dislike him)...is he a good producer?...(yeah, he has his moments)....will he last beyond what hes given us?...(hmmm, he seems to have been able to make it thus far)...

in my humble opinion, there is something about his beat making design that doesnt seem to promise anything NEW from what we've heard from his so far....his ACE up the sleeve is the way he crafts his Ba** LINES...without that, his production pretty much falls flat in terms of innovation...!

my ultimate favourite KEVIN BROWN production has to be what he did for the crew CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED (Calibre & Quartarmaine) on their e.p "CIRCA 88"

everything else hes done, as far as my ear percieves it, has been very very SIMILAR in design (a flaw)

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt
Hmmmm, KEVIN BROWN...HMMMMM....hes a bit of a tricky one...do i like him?....(i dont dislike him)...is he a good producer?...(yeah, he has his moments)....will he last beyond what hes given us?...(hmmm, he seems to have been able to make it thus far)...

in my humble opinion, there is something about his beat making design that doesnt seem to promise anything NEW from what we've heard from his so far....his ACE up the sleeve is the way he crafts his Ba** LINES...without that, his production pretty much falls flat in terms of innovation...!

my ultimate favourite KEVIN BROWN production has to be what he did for the crew CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED (Calibre & Quartarmaine) on their e.p "CIRCA 88"

everything else hes done, as far as my ear percieves it, has been very very SIMILAR in design (a flaw)

Agreed, but then again...each beat maker has their own production style, Khrysis and Apollo have those signature drum loops which are distinct, Dre with the clean kicks and keys(even though Storch does them for him)...9th with the soul sample hard snare combo...

Kev iz the dude who introduced kats to using to the Double Ba** for ba**lines, unlike the conventional digital/analogue SP1200 or MPC ba** lines...this guy is a GENIUS in my eyes(and most importantly ears hahaha) Jazzy Jeff's The Magnificent wouldnt have been a hit if it wasnt for this dude....Have you heard the production on Selective Hearing 2??..OMG, i lost my mind hahahahaha and he does most of Low Budgets production, Kev iz mad dope to me

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile

Agreed, but then again...each beat maker has their own production style, Khrysis and Apollo have those signature drum loops which are distinct, Dre with the clean kicks and keys(even though Storch does them for him)...9th with the soul sample hard snare combo...

Kev iz the dude who introduced kats to using to the Double Ba** for ba**lines, unlike the conventional digital/analogue SP1200 or MPC ba** lines...this guy is a GENIUS in my eyes(and most importantly ears hahaha) Jazzy Jeff's The Magnificent wouldnt have been a hit if it wasnt for this dude....Have you heard the production on Selective Hearing 2??..OMG, i lost my mind hahahahaha and he does most of Low Budgets production, Kev iz mad dope to me

LOL, aight aight...i hear you...cos i feel like my criticism is a little more personal than it is unbias, il let this one go...i take my hat off to the god, but il keep my eyes & ears very very close to what hes to do next (check for MISTAKES)... LOL   ;)

although i must contest the statement you made about "THE MAGNIFECENT"...i doubt he "single handedly" made it what it was...it was very much a collaborative effort from them both, thats why DRE has GHOST PRODUCERS..although they are often credited with the work, the MUSICALITy and sonic delivrey is always a collaborative effort...!