Beat Magician of the Day: DJ Khalil

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt

Youngest son of former UCLA player and coach and NBA player Walt Hazzard. From underground heavyweight to mainstream success, Khalil Abdul-Rahman better known by his current stage name DJ Khalil, Los Angeles based producer who has been in the biz for over 15 years.

The last few years have been ground breaking for him as a producer. Placements with multi-platinum artist, The Game “Da Shit” (Doctor’s Advocate), Jay Z “I Made It” (Kingdom Come), and Talib Kweli “Oh My Stars” Feat. Musiq Soulchild & “Hostile Gospel Pt. 2” Feat. Sizzla (Ear Drum).

Most recently he delivered 50 Cent’s latest commercial smash hit “I’ll Still Kill” Feat AKON on the multi-platinum selling Curtis LP.

In 2008 he picked up right were he left off with his production for Jim Jones commercial single “Love Me No More” Feat Cobe (Harlem’s American Gangster) and a musical score of the horror film titled “The Portal”. He also created tracks for an upcoming animated feature film, “The Blockheads”

Early production is already in the mix with Dr. Dre’s highly anticipated “Detox”, NAS, Kelis, and Busta Rhymes among several others.

These recent accomplishments have catapulted his name as one of the music industry hottest new producers.

Rewind to his early days, Khalil’s pa**ion for music began as a youth growing up in Los Angeles listening to everything from “NWA” to “A Tribe Called Quest” exposing him to the best of what hip hop music was delivering from both coasts during a time which is now remembered as “The Glory Years” in hip hop.

It was during this time that a young DJ Khalil was heavily influenced and knew he wanted to be a part of the rapidly growing hip hop movement that influenced many kids during this era.

After purchasing his first pair of technique turntables and years of perfecting his skills as a DJ, Khalil would be influenced by the likes of DJ Premiere, Pete Rock, & Ali Shaheed. These incredible individuals would eventually spark the pa**ion he had in him to produce his own music.

This led to the purchase of his first beat machine, the ASR10 made by Ensoniq. Making his transition from DJ to producer and giving birth to his official production/artist name, DJ Khalil.

He developed his pa**ion for music from his father who to this day possesses an incredible jazz collection. This not only inspired the young producer but it exposed him to thousands of famous Jazz musicians, which helped develop and mold his sound to what you hear today.

While still in High School he shared a bond with another talented up and coming artist from Los Angeles by the name of Chace Infinite. The two met mutually through the friendship their parents shared and the love for their first pa**ion as youth, Basketball.

It was during this time that Khalil finally had someone he could bounce and share ideas with musically and begin his long journey through the winding roads of the music industry.

Upon graduation from North Hollywood High, he enrolled in the Historically Black University, Moorehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. The move would prove to be beneficial for him. At Moorehouse College he shared the same hallways with the likes of many striving young artist and soon to be executives who are currently major players in the music business today. It would also prove to be a time where the majority of his growth and experimentation as a Producer would play a significant role in what is now known as his unique signature sound.

He continued to develop as an artist eventually forming a group called “Self Scientific” in the early 90’s exposing the Hip Hop community to a series of underground produced cla**ics. However, it wasn’t until 1993 when Khalil produced the underground hit “Return” that they made their official introduction and solidified him as one of the newest producers to keep an ear open for.

After the success of ‘Return” and a series of 12’ vinyl singles his group eventually landed a development deal with Loud Records in1995. Although things didn’t pan out like he expected, the knowledge he gained would give him the inspiration to produce two cla**ic Self Scientific albums. “The Self Science” in 2000 and “Change” in 2006.

In 2003 while continuing to establish himself as a young producer on the rise, Khalil caught the attention of west coast Legend and co- founder of NWA, Dr. Dre. Dr. Dre saw great potential in Khalil as a producer and felt with his guidance he could help develop his sound to great heights.

“I want to sign you as a staff producer” Dre told Khalil, “I want you as a part of the family”

Persistence and countless hours perfecting his sound paid off landing him a slot on Dr. Dre’s production staff at Aftermath Records.

“I grew up listening to Dre, so to be working with him and the fact that he really like my music is dope”, explains Khalil.

His new affiliation would allow him to produce for the likes of major artist like Keith Murray “Candi Bar”, Cypress Hill “The Only Way”, XZIBIT “Beware Of Us”, Raekwon “Ice Cream Part 2”, and G-Unit’s 50 Cent “Lay You Down”.

Even though he was beginning to receive early success with mainstream artist he still continued to inject underground artists with his infectious sound.

Ras Ka** “Kiss Of Death”, Sway & King Tech “Better Days”, Planet Asia “It’s On”, Strong Arm Steady (Blacksmith/Warner Bros.), Evidence (“All Said & Done”/The Weatherman LP) and newly acquired Aftermath Recording Artist Bishop Lamont have and are still benefiting from this musical talent.

Khalil’s never ending appetite for challenging himself musically has brought him to his most recent personal venture, “The New Royales”.

This hybrid group made up of himself and a group of very talented songwriters / musicians based out of Canada have combined his distinct sound with the “Royales” alternative rock melodies making the match a perfect alliance.

Production: 2010/2011

2010:

-Cypress Hill (Rise Up) "Pa** the Dutch" (feat. Evidence & The Alchemist), "Take My Pain" (feat. Everlast), "Strike the Match" (Co-productions with DJ Muggs)
-Kida (The Endemic) "Street Music", "Wanna Be's" (feat. Kobe), "Eulogy"
-Eminem (Recovery) "Talkin' 2 Myself" (feat. Kobe), "Won't Back Down" (feat. Pink), "25 to Life", "Almost Famous"
Laws (4:57) "Hold You Down"
-Xzibit (MMX) "Gotta Get 'Em" (feat. Kobe)
-DJ Muggs Vs. Ill Bill (Kill Devil Hills) "Luciferian Imperium" (Co-production with DJ Muggs)
-Redman (Reggie) "Def Jammable"
Hot Dollar (n/a) - "I Promise You" (co-produced by Dr. Dre)
-M.E.D. (Bang Ya Head) - "West Iz Back"
-Dr. Dre (Detox) "Kush" (feat. Snoop Dogg & Akon)
-Dr. Dre (Detox) "Topless" (feat. Eminem & Nas)
-Self Scientific (n/a) "Peaceful" (feat. Freddie Gibbs & Krondon)
-Chin (D'Tach) "Separated" (Co-production with Chin Injeti), " Mask On My Face (Remix)"

2011:

-Raekwon (Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang) "Rock' N Roll" (feat. Ghostface Killah, Jim Jones & Kobe)
-Strong Arm Steady (Arms & Hammers) "Klack Or Get Klacked"
-Joell Ortiz (Free Agent) "Cocaine"

Full Production credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Khalil_discography

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
SALUTE ma G.....SALUTE....  8)

THIS cat right here is perhaps one of the BEST ALL ROUND producers since JUST BLAZE....check the credentials, the god got juice....and it doesnt hurt that his favourite weapon of choice is REASON by PROPELLERHEADS  8)

SHOUTOUT to CHASE INFINITE and the work him and KHALIL did as duo "SELF SCIENTIFIC"...one of the dopest producer-emcee TAG TEAMS EVER...!

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
Khalil has a great sound. I love how he layers his samples to create those sonic, harmonic and yet still soulful melodies. Check intro track on  the Change album with Self Scientific. That album held me down for a long time proof to the great song making capabilities. I haven't kept up with his recent work since he joined Dre's production team - which is a good move by Dre btw, so links are always nice please but I know its all butter.

8)
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
Peace

KHALIL
did some incredible work on the NEW STRONG ARM STEADY record "arms & hammers"...in honour of that, i thought id put up the OFFICIAL video of "KLACK or GET KLACKED", offa that album, produced by KHALIL right here:

8)

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
no doubt cat musical, digged the track 'Return' on that Self Science album.. from hardware to Soft synthesis and Samplers. 
Is the Akai & them Samplers really relevant these days.