Beat Magician of the Day: Jake One

krimzin

• Bruin Storm
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-4
  • "God grant me wings, Im too fly not to fly"
    • View Profile
    • krimzins crypt

Dutton grew up in Capitol Hill and moved to the North End of Seattle when he was 15. He started making music on a Casio keyboard in 1992. He attended the University of Washington and gave a tape of his music to a friend who worked in a local record store. One of the store’s other employees, the DJ Mr. Supreme heard the tape, and when he set up his Conception Records label, he used Dutton to create backing tracks. The first record he produced was Eclipse’s World Premier. His early influences included Pete Rock, DJ Premier, and Marley Marl. Dutton has worked with local artists as well as major names from further afield. He has produced tracks by artists such as De La Soul, Strange Fruit Project, Prozack Turner, MF DOOM, E-40, John Cena, Planet Asia, Nas, and 50 Cent. He is part of the G-Unit production team, The Money Management Group.

His first album credited to Jake One, White Van Music, was released in October 2008 on Rhymesayers Entertainment, and featured contributions from Brother Ali, Young Buck, De La Soul, M.O.P., Freeway, MF DOOM, and E-40.

He has had tracks included on the soundtracks to films such as Get Rich or Die Tryin’ (50 Cent’s I Don’t Know Officer), The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (“Jake Alert”), and Gone Baby Gone

Production:

"World Premier", "No Introduction", "No Introdeezy", "Neva Scared", "Essay on Pseudo-ism", "Thoughts I Generate" (from the Conception Records compilation Walkman Rotation)

"Eyez on the Prize", "Game Trump Tight" (from the Trump Tight Records compilation Eyez on the Prize)

"Ice Age" (from the Mix Master Mike compilation album Spin Psycle)
"Writers Guild", "Odds on Favorite", "All Stars", "The Trade", "Net Worth", "All I Have Left" (from the Boom Bap Project album Circumstance Dictates)

"The Reckoning" (from the Musab album Respect the Life)

"Ends to Means" (from the DJ Babu album Duck Season Vol. 2)
"The Sweet Science", "Put Your Hands Up", "We Get Live" (from the Rasco album Escape from Alcatraz)
"Betta Ask Somebody" (from the G-Unit album Beg for Mercy)
"Fatal Mistake", "Walk With My Dogs", "Sashay" (from the Sly Boogy album Judgement Day)
"Super Education Part 2" (from the compilation West Coast Lyricist Lounge)

"The Ride of Your Life", "Rat Race", "Flashback", "Up", "To Know You", "Hold On", "In a Minute Doe", "Evolution", "Moonshine" (from the Gift of Gab album 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up)
"Days of Our Lives", "Rock Co.Kane Flow" (from the De La Soul album The Grind Date)
"Fallback" (from the Kardinal Offishall mixtape Kill Bloodclott Bill)
"As Long As I'm Alive" (from the Planet Asia album The Grand Opening)
"Layover", "Step It Up Or Wrap It Up", "Zigga Zigga", "The Schizm", "My Way Home" feat. DJ Topspin (from the Encore album Layover)

"Kaysarasara" (from the Kardinal Offishall album Fire and Glory)
"This Is It", "Ice Cold", "Everyday Shit" (from the I Self Devine album Self Destruction)

"Wasn't for You" (from the De La Soul album The Impossible: Mission TV Series – Pt. 1)
"Moonlight Melodic Pt. 2" (from the Planet Asia mixtape The Sickness Part One)
"Memories" (from the Deep Routed album The Second Coming)

"Clean Up Man", "Buck The World" feat. Lyfe Jennings (from the Young Buck album Buck the World)
"Movin on Up", "All of Me" (from the 50 Cent album Curtis)
"Initiated (Nu-Mixx)" feat. Boot Camp Click (from the posthumous 2Pac album Nu-Mixx Klazzics Vol. 2)
"Don't Kill Me", "Fukk Kramer Radio (Interlude)" (from the Bishop Lamont & DJ Skee mixtape N*gger Noize)
"It's Over" (from the Freeway album Free at Last)
"Beast" (from the Guilty Simpson mixtape Stray Bullets)

"Digital Motown" (from the Kardinal Offishall album Not 4 Sale)
"4 All My Niggaz" feat. Planet Asia, Mistah F.A.B., & Ya Boy (from the Black Milk & Bishop Lamont album Caltroit)
"Ready or Not" (from the G-Unit album T.O.S: Terminate on Sight)
"Shed Thy Blood", "Damn Daddy" (from the Prodigy album Product of the 80's)
"High Note" (from the Scarface album Emeritus)

"Ballskin", "Rap Ambush", "Microwave Mayo", "More Rhymin'" (from the DOOM album Born Like This)
"Won't Be Long" (from the Rakim album The Seventh Seal)
"Dream" (from Elzhi mixtape The Leftovers Unmixedtape)
"The Return", "Wake Up", "Yah Have Mercy" (from the D.Black album Ali'Yah)
"Get Right" feat. Mistah F.A.B. & Baba Zumbi (from the Jern Eye album Vision)
"No Substitute", "Life Line" feat. One Be Lo (from the Supastition album Splitting Image)
"This Is That Fire" (from the Spaceman mixtape Flawless Hustle Presents: Stay Flawless)

"Rock Star" (performed by Freeway on the UeRadioLive.com Mixtape)
"Salute" (from the T.I. album No Mercy)
"Armed & Dangerous" (from the Cypress Hill album Rise Up)
"Escalators", "Beautiful Music" (from the upcoming Freeway album Diamonds in the Ruff)
"Troublemakers" (from the Ghostface Killah album Apollo Kids)
"C Scrolls" (from the Canibus album C of Tranquility)
"One Of These Kids", "High School Sweet Heart" (from the JFK of Grayskul album Building Wings On The Way Down)
"All That Fire" (from the J.Pinder Code Red EP)
"Cry For Help" (by Fatal Lucciauno)

"Gangbang Rookie" feat. Pilot (from the Snoop Dogg album Doggumentary)
"I Ain't Gonna Say Nothing" (by Slim da Mobster)
"Crime Scene Cinema" (from the upcoming Evidence album Cats & Dogs)

Albums:

-White Van Music (2008)
-The Stimulus Package, with Freeway (2010)
-Patience, with Truthlive (2010)

Ramorethetho

• Weed is green paper is brown coke is white you are a bitch so as your wife
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-18
  • Linux and Novell f***ed and gave birth to SuSe
    • View Profile
He wasted his on the stimulus package I cant stand Freeway
Feeling satisfaction from the street croud reaction

K'niep Tang

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-4
  • Wadata!
    • View Profile
Our very own Maliq from Cap City had a couple of beats from Jake One, most noteable "Click Click Boom". That was a dope joint!
I'm like a bunch of dynamite sticks - i'm bound to blow
www.myspace.com/tang1632
http://r-senic.blogspot.com

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Our very own Maliq from Cap City had a couple of beats from Jake One, most noteable "Click Click Boom". That was a dope joint!

how much he pay for it?
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
very impressive catalog, a lot of the music there i didnt know he was behind...one JAKE ONE joint that really stands out for me is "SPEAK THE TRUTH" a joint he produced for LEGENDARY super group X-CLAN with a feature from KRS-ONE...goes very HARD...!

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile

I know that track...dope.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm

Notably missing... also "Sleepless in Seatle/Capcity on my mind" beats

http://maliq.bandcamp.com/album/sleepless-in-seattle-my-mind-on-cap-city-2

Side A included Jake One and Side B was me only!

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
very impressive catalog, a lot of the music there i didnt know he was behind...one JAKE ONE joint that really stands out for me is "SPEAK THE TRUTH" a joint he produced for LEGENDARY super group X-CLAN with a feature from KRS-ONE...goes very HARD...!

word? link plz
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile

word? link plz

oh for surely "X-CLAN is the ORIGINAL, we earned them dues" (c) BROTHER J

8)

by the way, KRS is only on the hook & adlibs in the video, but on the actual track, hes got a 16, really worth finding & scooping up cos hes hella mean on it  :D