Africasgateway.com

Starting to DJ

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Ok, so this is inspired by MrC's thread and since I've been planning to invest in some DJ gear, I figured someone here (Raiko etc) could help.

What is the best to go with if you're looking to get into the DJing thing, without breaking the bank and where can you get it?

What are your opinions on those DJ/midi controller unit's such as the Vestax VCI-300 MKII or the Pioneer SEP-C1 Media Controller? Would you recommend these to someone who wants to learn to cut etc. and may not wanna do this professionally?

If not, what are the cheapest, best direct drive decks you would buy if you had to?

Looking for something I can play with if the need arises and do some gigs with, that will last and won't need me spending thousands on music and Serato etc., but still be able to use my collection of music.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Download Virtual DJ first and practise on that. Get to know how to mix on there, then it should be quite natural to move on to bigger things.

Im gonna stick with it for now, and try to progress to bigger things as i go along.

If you wanna start on the hardware side look @ CDJ's.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Thing is, I can mix.

I used to play quite a few gigs on borrowed decks and used to practice at my boys' places. Now I wanna learn to cut and do all the fancy shit. And I wanna get my own equipment.

I figure getting a controller is the way to go. I'm seriously considering the Numark NS7, since it has two proper high-torque decks and all the shit regular decks have and more.

Anyone who can give some feedback on this?

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
I always said once I get the money I will cop some SL's but then vinyl is such a rarity these days.

There are many setups possible. A friend of mine has a Kontakt software installed on a MacAir and a hardware Behringer Mixer and the knobs and faders are "linked" with the software controls.

To help you choose you must consider some criteria for example: portability, mp3 playability, feedback, cool factor, etc
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I always said once I get the money I will cop some SL's but then vinyl is such a rarity these days.

There are many setups possible. A friend of mine has a Kontakt software installed on a MacAir and a hardware Behringer Mixer and the knobs and faders are "linked" with the software controls.

To help you choose you must consider some criteria for example: portability, mp3 playability, feedback, cool factor, etc

I don't give a f*** about cool factor. All I'm concerned with is the functionality. Can I do with it what I would be able to do with Sl1200s?

The Ns7 seems to be the way to go from all I'm reading online.

It plugs into your laptop and you play all your music from your laptop, as you would with Serato. Difference is you need nothing else with this. It has a built in soundcard and mixer and has two decks etc. Its a complete system.

Povertyproperty

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-3
    • View Profile
I also wanna wanna know where i can buy cheap brand new/second hand SL1200s in SA

Jules Winnfield

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-2
  • Schizophrenic Tenant Number 1
    • View Profile
Numark NS7 are dope, i seen Hamma tear them up, they handle well and you more than able to cut on them...

they not cheap as far as i can remember, i think you can still get SL's if you look hard enough and a mixer for cheaper.

but for cutting purposes i wouldn't go for anything that's not on the NS7 level or direct drive turntables like SL's,  the only difference is the NS7 is only a digital format product, so you can't play traditional vinyl and so on, whereas the turntables you have an option...

for good prices on Numark get at Hamma here: http://www.facebook.com/roger.heunis
When all this shit is over and done – I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherf***er.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Thanks dude.

I don't have vinyl and also don't plan on investing in any, so digital is cool for me.

These are the two I'm looking at now. I think the prices are good too.
http://www.globalsounds.co.za/numark-ibattlepack-p-8760.html

http://www.globalsounds.co.za/numark-ns7fx-computer-hardware-software-bundle-p-8733.html

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
Chill out dude. It meant cool as in fun to use. Them NS7 look coolk btw.
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu