Africasgateway.com

Mastering beats in Cool Edit. Help!

Mumia · 8 · 2602

Mumia

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://mummia.org
I need your help regarding mastering beats, I make beats on Fruity Loops and finish them there and then export them to Cool Edit to master. When I get there all I do is normilize the beat and fade it inn and out, that´s about all I know about Cool Edit...I need to know what do you cats look for or at when mastering a beat...(EQ-ing etc., everthing that you look at/for.

Peace.
HE ONLY GOOD COP - IS A DEAD COP!

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
What up! Try doing this; export the beat the same way you do it. But this time, you do it several times, each time muting all but one instrument. E.g. if you have three things in your beat, a guitar, a drum track, a base thingy. Export to cool edit all three as separate files.

Once in Cooledit, open all three files into separate tracks. N.B. AS THEY ARE, i.e. don´t go chopping off the silent parts or you find you have to try arranging the tracks. They should be aligned properlly already.

Click on the wave editor window to see each track individually and play around with the tools given to get the sound you want (i.e. there´s more than normalize there...too numerous to get into).

At the end, each instrument is boosted dope dope, then you go back to your main window, and start adjusting the different volumes the way you want them balanced (e.g like you would be doing it on a live mixer when mixing down your product.) Pan the different instruments in (using the same controls given where you´re adjusting the volume. The panning allows you to give the beat more "surround stereo"  "feeling" "atmosphere" e.t.c. You can even double up something (instrument) by opening it again in another track and pan the one track way to the left, and the other one equally way to the right to get that "Stereo surround boost".

Hope that helps.
Peace
p.>s It´s pretty obvious I´m feeling Cool Edit! 8-)

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Hi Mumia

Hey cuz.Checked ur post and the advice that TNG gave is pretty useful.

Another thing I wanna know is which version of fruity u using?Cause if its version 3 then u dont have to export dozens of times.All u can do is when u wanna export, click "split tracks" or if ur using FL STudio it would be "split mixer tracks".Just double check this though.That would save u much time as it will be all split in one exportation.

Another thing is its not too good to normalize a track or anything really.If its very limited normalization, then it should be fine, but if u wanna boost it much then normalizing is not the way to do it.A suggestion is that when u want to export the different instruments to wav, then possibly take the master volume to the maximum on fruity, or what u could do is take the individual instrument volumes to about maximum.This would mean that the wav u export would be well maxed and would not need any sort of normalization.What normalization does, and many muso´s say this and if u have a really fine tuned ear u´ll notice it too, is that it increases any possible noise within the track as well which makes a less crisp track or beat.Any noise picked up will just increase through the whole process.I´ve experienced something of that nature too.Not a pleasure, sometimes could help to enhance a track if u wanting it to sound slightly dirty-ish.

Also, i´m not an expert on mastering or anything, but a suggestion would be to listen to songs that have a similar vibe to the one´s ur doing.Try and isolate individual instruments within them which relate to the ones u have in urs i.e. hats, kicks, snares, strings, etc, and listen to their perspective within the songs.Are they prominent of more to the background.R they in ur face or laying back in the cut, so to speak; What sort of reverb do they have on them, or is it just raw and dry.How r they panned, or r they just bang in the middle.U´ll notice with some old songs, the whole beat was panned to the one side and the vocal to the other.In a mono sort of way.Btw, many of the Rolling stone´s earlier tracks, and old brit recordings, were str8 up mono.(bit of useless info).Fruity has a good parametic EQ which is useful.Its nifty to do some final EQ once u got ur vocal in the track.I notice many of my buds do this (final/master EQ when vocal is mixed with) and it seems to work well.

Anyways, hope this little bit helps too.As for EQ settings or compression settings for mastering, I am not too sure what would be good suggestions.I am of the thinking that it is more song specific, but maybe someone like Nyambz could help in this regard or refer u to someone who would know this.Worth checking out.Check with Draztik too.Hit me back if all goes well.

I sent u a PM.Hit me back on that.Much luv.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
I usually export all my channels from acid, and open em up in Nuendo, then i eq each channel until i get the right combination! Once i´m done with that i export a compressed wav file into soundforge and normalise the beat!

Remember to limit the beat!!! This is a very critical step!Especially if  someone is still yet to spit on the beat! U need to leave headroom for the him/her!!
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Nyambz

SOunds like a very nifty way of doing things.Good to know as well.Also, thanx for the mail back cuz.I shall pa** ur "peace" on to Syntactic.

Much luv.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I suggest you take your CD to a professional mastering house. If you can sit in on the session with the engineer, then do that and learn from him/her.

I takes years of listening to master a track. It´s not just about EQ´ing and Compression. there is a lot more involved.

In the other hand, there is nothing wrong with trying to do it yourself, but i suggest you learn in the background and get your first release mastered by a pro. Try to suck as much from him/her as possible.

I think WaveLab has got a feature where u can put in any CD, and it gives u guidelines on how it was mastered, try it out.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I suggest you take your CD to a professional mastering house. If you can sit in on the session with the engineer, then do that and learn from him/her.

I takes years of listening to master a track. It´s not just about EQ´ing and Compression. there is a lot more involved.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with trying to do it yourself, but i suggest you learn in the background and get your first release mastered by a pro. Try to suck as much from him/her as possible.

I think WaveLab has got a feature where u can put in any CD, and it gives u guidelines on how it was mastered, try it out.

[ This message was edited by: MrC on 14-09-2004 16:31 ]
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
hey MrC

I heard bout this feature of popping in a cd and then it generates a master-curve, for lack of a better term.Is that only Wavelab that does it?Have u seen this or tried it perhaps?I heard its pretty useful though.

Anyways, thanx for the heads up.Much luv.