FuckYou · 33 · 13931

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://
Is graffiti dead...
Theses days "Hip Hop" = Rap
For those who dont know...Rap is the youngest member of the Hip Hop Fam!
Yet, its treated as the only Element...whats da deal??
And Yes, i am a Graff Riter!
y branes Chard, like burnt flesh is skard rippn your breast apart, digest your hart...DIE!

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Welcome To Joburg Where everyone and is kid brother is an MC...Spex

awareness of the art has increased...heads nowadays is more aware...so graff is getting more popular than mcing in the J..so no i do not belive graff is dead..

Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
im from CT, so i dont really know whats going on in JHB, but what ive heard is that JHB cats suck at graff, i dont believe this, cause i havnt been there myself, but then again i havent seen anything to defend the statement either.....

y branes Chard, like burnt flesh is skard rippn your breast apart, digest your hart...DIE!

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
when ever heads talk about JHB, amg Graff, Rasty´s always gotta come outta someones mouth, im not here to cause beef or talk shit, but is he an Doktor like the only ones doing shit down there??

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
the problem with graff is that it hasn´t evolved in the last 15 years. when i first saw that book Spraycan Art (i think it was called) i tripped out,,, was the most amazing thing i ever saw. I look at it now,,, and it´s like,,, what the fcuk,,, what they were doing 15 years ago was better than what i see around the place now.

to me, someone like http://www.banksy.co.uk/" TARGET="_blank">Banksy kills all this cartoon old-skool wild style shit i see everywhere.

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
well its wierd..coz theres extremes..there really dope cats...and really wach cats and a whole lotta toys..but..frm someone who spends his time in the streets..the last five years have sproute many crews so all i can say is its getting better...

is graff in CPT dying..i only ask this coz you frm the cape and you asked the question?

Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Are you a riter??
How can you say graff hasnt evolved, i mean thats like saying every riter for the past 15 years hasnt done shit, they havnt gottn better in fact what ure saying is that they have gottn worst......
Bansky is tight, but...some even believe that stencils is graff....
Imagine i said....hmm,..rap hasnt gottn any better in th past 10 years, shit i remember when i first heard public enermy, that was ill, there hasnt been anything better..well maybe benefit..

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
no,, i´m not a writer.

graff hasn´t evolved in the last 17 years,,, that´s exactly what i am saying. let me be more precise,,, spraycan art hasn´t progressed,,, i love what cats are doing with stencils and stickers, so if you count that as graff, then i take it back.

graff ´artists´ that are spraying walls and trains now are just doing the same shit that was revolutionary 20 years ago,,, but that was 20 years ago,,, looks kind of played out now don´t you think?

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Hell nah, i definetly believe graffs evolved, but if you dont then thats your opinion! Im not really taking what you say seriously, mainly cause ure not a graff writer and dont know what you are talking about....
Graff is about elevating your letters and your letter styles, and if ure not a graff writer then this concept will probably be hard for you to understand...
You gotta look beyond pretty colours and smart characters, look at the actuall letters, and try to see/figure out what the artist has done and what he is trying to do. Then you will begin to understand graffiti.
Its not just about who can paint the most trains and do the worst tags, theres actual a lot of time and thought put into every piece.....go check out a Kem5 piece or check out Totem2.com and if you still dont understand i dont think you ever will!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i was a graff writer in london between the age of 15 and 18 (between 1985 - 1988). i´ve worked as a graphic designer for a large part of my life.

i´m not a writer now.

i think i am quite able to understand the basics of typography, whether on walls or in books.

spraycan art ain´t advanced in 17 years.

but hey,,, i´m always keen to see new shit. it´s quite possible i´ve missed some revolutionary pieces.

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
OK, so you were a graff writer and did/do graphic design, it doesnt make you an right!
You say what you say as if its factual information, when its more opinion then fact. You say that you did graffiti back then, round about the same time you were liking that book, you ever stop an think that perhaps you are still living in the past, and find it hard to accept that people, and graff have moved on..even progressed!??

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
You know what man... you need to get out of your mind state...
I got into hip-hop as a writer 8 years ago. N shit doesn´t stay the same.

The only way hip-hop as a culture can stay alive is to keep on reinventing itself and to innovate. Alot of people don´t realise that shit - especially the ´REAL´ ´HARDCORE´ "UNDERGROUND´ cats who just wanna keep shit stagnant. and the same - they diss anything that deviates from what they consider ´the true´ form.

If the ´creators´ of hip-hop had had the same attitude... Hip-hop would never have come to be...  Who would EVER have thought that spraying little letters on a wall, that wiggling a record, that ´experimenting´ with dance moves, that ´talking´ over music could have evolved to the extent it has...to create whole new art-froms.

This INNOVATION is the true essenz of hip-hop. what started with blockparties and using two copies of the same record to ´loop´ the instrumental break in the middle of a record became a worldwide phenomenon.

My point is: people who DISS new things (translate: ´those cats who just hate on experimentation and shit because it is not what they are used to´) are doing the exact OPPOSITE of what the true spirit of hip-hop should have taught you.

As such, in order for hip-hop (or whatever it is to be called in the future) to stay alive it has to KEEP REINVENTING ITSELF and formulate NEW things and new ways of expression.... otherwise it will wither and die.

Hence... when I see people diss new thing like STENCILS for example it pissed me off.... who are you to judge wether or not something new is tight and is true... by dissing it you are doing the same thing that some 60 year old conservative f*** is doing when he says that ´rapping is not singing´.

Move with the times... I just saw a book on stencils (a la spraycan art (which i own btw :)) that blew my f***´n mind.... people are doing CRAAAAAAZY shit with stenclis..... intricate ´stencil´ pieces that span 20 metres - allowing for ALOT more detailed expression. etc.

Etc... My advice: EMBRACE new things and innovate .... Beatboxing, Stencils,  whatever whatever.... We gotta keep shit moving - otherwise hip-hop will wither die - be left behind and be forgotten like any other sub-culture that has existed. - though hip-hop should be more than that.

As to Graffiti not having changed:
Dplanet - you have no idea how far graffiti has come.... you should pilgrim to europe sometime... countries like Germany, Switzerland and France...
There are SO many different styles new innovations etc. Just look at the style of lettering that was done back then and is being done now.
I advice you to do a search for these twins called ´Os Gemeos´ - writers who do these elabourate, intricate pieces - blows my f***´n mind - N they lip it into a whole new direction.

FuckYou

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote:

07-10-2004 at 12:05, f***You :
Bansky is tight, but...some even believe that stencils is graff....

I dont know if i didnt get out what i wanted to say, or if you just read it wrong, i said some even consider stencils graff, i never said i didnt see it as part of graff. I did say bansky was tight, which would mean that im acknowledging his skills, which to me would me i accept stencils as part of graff......or atleast respect it!

SOYA DADDY

• BIG SPACE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +4/-3
  • www.myspace.com/spacevein
    • View Profile
    • Official BiG Space Music page
apart from promos and adverts for whatever..i´m not down with say stenciling your tag...

graff dead...i think it sucks that everyone is a rapper and that most folks forget that bboys and graff came ages before mceeing did.
graff is a really complex art, infact it holds as much weight as any van gough piece does, the symetry and colour is too compelling.

its safe to say that graff is dead in SA..everywhere else...alive and oing strong, ever seen the london scene??

f***YOU...this kid has skillz.word!

http://WWW.SPACESWAGGER.BLOGSPOT.COM
[IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd205/metalhead_xox/Animate