Respect SA Hip Hop

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Does it constitute disrespect when event promoters constantly fail to reckognize the talent in the Local Hip Hop landscape when booking supporting acts for major international acts?

I mean why arent SK, Amu, Selwyn, Zubz, Tumi etc not booked to open for BEP, 50 Cent etc?

Surely these acts are more "hip hop" than Zola & Kabelo?
I think it would be a wonderful platform for these cats if they go to perform @ these events & may even expose them to audiences previously neglected.
What Teenie-bopper fly-by-night fan iz gona really care whether its Zola or Sfiso Sudan on stage before Ja Fool?

Why wont the powers that be recognize?
WHo´s opening for BEP? :-|

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i guess it´s down to record sales,,, kabelo and zola outsell most rappers by at least double. BEP is really pop music, not necessarily aimed at Hip Hop heads so I guess they are trying to keep the ma**es happy.

Not saying I agree with it but i can see where they are coming from. Lowest common denominator marketing.

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
Nice Question Tate. veeeerrry nice.

First thing is, who are the promoters? Coz it could be disrespect or ignorance.
Whose responsibilty is it to ensure maximum exposure for the artists - the record company isnt it? THEY are sleeping aswell, coz surely they should be amongst the first to know and as such pimp their peeps, it "make sense dont it?" I know i´d be pissed off at my recording company if this ish happened to me, surely they are privy to that kind of information? I dont know, im just wonderin...

I mean i dont even know if they would be able to influence the promoter in terms of choice. Eintlik - can i get an education here: what are the politics of organising an event of this magnitude(by that i mean, an international act). i know its through the language of capital but like who is involved?

Also it could be that the promoter feels the need to look to popular mzantsi artists to boost interest (u know how it is, them business peeps dont know how to take chances anymore) in the concert. Which is dumb really coz the international artist is always enuff to draw the crowd on their own - if not they shouldn´t be coming out in the first place. Its actually the best time to introduce an unknown...
Its quite swak tho, no doubt.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Firstly Rhoze did you know that the new Foxy Brown iz tentatively titled "Black Rose"...

D_Planet are you still meeting her to get that errr..."special bonus" copy of the mixtape?

Anyway I think it may be a case of both ignorance & capitalise ideals. Instead of bigging up local hip hop they wanna squeeze as much out as possible.

Someone should do a study of consumption patterns of the average consumer of 50 & Ja Fool type discs to see how many of these people actually buy Zola as well. I´m sure you will find that they dont know Kabelo & em any more than Tumi & the Volume so it wont make a diff to them.
So why not book the guys that need the exposure more + are actually in the same genre??!! :-|

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Foxy has nu material coming out? The ill nana rocks. I think she has been done wrong by the industry. She is too undertrated.
So she struts around in hotpants on stage. She´s a CK poster girl etc etc but Inga is deeper than that.

Anyways, yeah these promoters need to do sum research.  So kabelo sells more records than 340 ml/Tumi n the volume but whats his stage act like?  Who are teh people who are coming to see the roots in concert, are they gonna wanna see kabelo instead of 340 opening? NO!

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
Foxy is a biter!!!

Eish, what can i do, started a trend...these things happen :-]
Ja, maar that gal better lift her game, she could do so much mo.
Well, lets hope she doesnt let OUR (im not a selfish person) name down...

"she better represent, else im knock her out!"
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

GwaZa

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I remember there was that "Peter Styversant Music Spectacular" in Jozi about four years back where they had a loooot of artists from the USA come out (Naughty by Nature, Foxy Brown, Da Brat, Eric Benet, Frankie Knuckles - en baie baie meer). They had four stages I think. When Da Brat came up the one stage area filled up chock-a-block within seconds. Bekashisa! (She ended up dropping her pants during the show and revealing a colourful pair of boxers- for some reason we thought that was so chilled back then) When she finished her set, Foxy came on drunk and started talkin a whole lotta meaningless kak and the place emptied out quicker than you can say Montell Jordan(coz dat´s who we all went to see instead!)! Hilarious!

Foxy sucks! She took her name from a seventies movie for Pete´s sake!
quot;Ayo I'm out the cage and its two-thousand-and-wave"

minwana mithathu
-----------------------------------------------------