TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Okay I recieved this email from the first lady of Harambe
Please read it & post some constructive feedback..cant be leaving a soldier down in the battlefield you know...

"was reading link that you sent me with the forum on africasgateway (YMag post)

...seems you can never win huh?just some thoughts, first up- when did jill scott become a hip-hop artist, just curious u know cause someone made a comment about her and dream hampton being the only interesting hip-hop articles in the magazine...

it seems like i always take the fire for yfm/ymag as if i were the whole station or the whole magazine,  i wish i had as much power as people thought that i did, but i don't...

i wish i had the power to make ymag a hip-hop magazine but its not that and unfortunately even though i am editor i dont run the place like a dictator and anyone who knows the mag industry will know that the publisher is the final decision maker...

about just putting in selwyn, amu, etc once again heads dont email through their info or get their music to us which is wack, but cats are quick to jump on the net and say something about it...

i understand their frustrations etc but i cant source everyone, change the mindset of management etc...
i guess i am loosing hope because everytime i am on africasgateway which is one of my fav sites in the firing line, not that i take it personal-its just that i think people will always want to get on my case for no reason...

just to confirm firstly i never said that i am the first lady of hip-hop i dont beleive in that rubbish at all, last i checked we all worked together in hip-hop, i am a fan trying to do the little i can to help out.secondly ymag and yfm are not hip-hop mags or radio stations  at all. but i take what little lee way they give me and run with it- does anyone have any idea how many politics go into the music industry its craze...

maybe if heads were to email ymag@yfm.co.za and ask the powers that be to have a hip-hop cover which i have been fighting for but they are under the impression that the market is not big enough...

i know cats are frustrated so am i, but there's only so much i can do...no one is saying anything about the african hip-hop wire at all or the african spotlight which has just become about african hip-hop..

i guess i could go on...the essence of it is that i do what i can and cant do it on my own if i dont get fed information...i am one person and that is it. i also recognise that all the comments are not personal but that's how hip-hop is people will have their say and i respect that, guess i just had to get it off my chest.

much love though to people truly supporting and finding solutions to the problems in some way, thats everyone from silvah needle, to emile out in cape town, to bush radio's headwarmers to the HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment to africasgateway, to my boy kamza holding it down on 5fm- dope show, to hype magazine to everyone africanhiphop.com the artists whatever....

but yea i guess once this goes out there cats will be more open to fire shots at me. anyhow i am always open to suggestions:

leslie@harambeafrica.com

if i wouldnt have had my say when i was the target of yfm hip-hop week, le club etc (on AG forums)...
but guess it comes with the territory and i recognize that i am working withing a greater movement to help where i can do the little i can...sorry to those who feel i have offended them and think i am more of a liabilty than an a**et to the industry...

Lee @ Harambe

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Big up to everyone conrtibuting to the growth of African Hip Hop, that includes you Lee. We all try our best to do our thing.  One day some 6 or 7 year old overseas points a finger at an African Hip Hop head and says I want to grow up and be just like that.  :!:

machiavella

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
people should just leave Lee ALONE...she's only tryn to do her JOB....and there's nothing wrong with that.....nobody ever says anything about Fungayi or maybe that's 'cause he's a big guy and y'all pickin' on Lee coz she's female....i hope i'm wrong.....enough crits on Lee...nuff said

btw Fungayi is the editor of Hype...
If you are irritated by every rub,how will you be polished?" Rumi

ootz

• DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE OH TEE ZEE
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-0
  • Ootz Tha Afronaut
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ootz85
its sad wen the people that really represent get heat. n the people that dont get props(n i aint sayin names). stay up lee :wink:
XO.WITHTANK.COM

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Yeah,,, I hear the problems but I don't fully buy it.

I don't want to lay into Lee because hating doesn't get anyone anywhere, but I can understand people's frustration. If your job as a journalist is to represent African Hip Hop, you carry a large burden of expectation.

Embracing the spirit of independent music shouldn't be crushed by "politics" and marketing demographics. How can anyone who claims to love Hip Hop think in those terms?

Uncovering new talent should be a top priority. It doesn't take much to dig beneath the surface so we don't have to be subjected to constant Gallo propaganda about Amu, Selwyn, SK etc etc.

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
I must say even though there may be things Lee doesn't have the power to do, she IS doing more than enuf and a whole lotta peeps owe where they are at  to her.
My interactions  with lee have led me to believe in how pa**ionate she is about the growth of hiphop.  I say PROPS to you lady and thanks for takin tym out to listen.

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
Aight he's my appreciatinz 2 Lee w/o you i wouldn't be surfin' this site 2day. I asked her sometyme in 2003 'bout sum mo info (African Mc's) then she gave me unrealeasedrecords site which I found this s*** here & it f**** blazin'...

Thanx Lee
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
... and speaking about FUNGAYI, if i had it my way i would line him and the entire hype staff up in front of a chinese firing squad, and blow them up with a tanker parked behind the firing squad (for personal reasons). hype magazine is a f***ing farce and it is degrading to even consider it as a hip hop journal. speaking about LEE, well i don't wanna rag on about shit that don't even give me wood - she must just leave the bitching to those who think they can do her job better than she can, and  must remember that all emba**adors of worthy causes often get spat on and shat on; look at koffi annan - even he isn't granted impunity: DEAL WITH IT!!! :wink:
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

milk

• AG Moderator
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • YEBO GOGO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
I think that Lee deserves a lot of credit.  She is definately a leader and as a female we should give her even more respect, especially in this male dominated environment.  I have nothing but the utmost respect for her and her work and understand the obstacles that she faces.  It's not as easy as most people think and I promise you, once you find yourself in a position that she is in, you will only then understand.

Lee keep doing what you doing.  We appreciate your work.  

peace