Africasgateway.com

RV7000 and RV7, gating and damping.

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
  • Oh ahahahahaha you STILL here?
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
Lean Back my peoples didn't u jus love those kicks?
Joe Budden, Neptunes, Kanye West u name em, gated kicks r very much in the hot shpot at moment.

Within Reason gated kicks are quite easy to produce by simply routing your kick sample (the sample should prefferably already be somewhat 'wet') through an RV7 (or 7000 if u feel u can handle the tweaking) and routing the RV7 to a mixer channel. Select the 'Gated' preset on the patch panel and turn the room size down to about 60 (play with it usually sounds good between 75 and 55).

Now this is not 'gating' in the conventional sense since nothing is triggering the control voltage on the decay but you still get the wanted effect. Also, the 'gated' preset isn't the only thing that can produce the warm-damp kick effect, a 'Hall' or 'Low Density' preset will also give you an interseting sound.

The drawback to this though is that if you configure the above-mentioned set up on your song and the attack of your kick is slow, since the reverb algorithm adds its own delay the kick might sound out of place. You can fix this by creating a the setup above on a clean document and exporting just the kick and cutting it up in your sampler and replanting the kick back into your mix without the reverb since u don't need it anymore.

The RV7000 module is simply professional to say the least. It's usefulness when it comes to drums cannot be understated. routing your snare through it with the AMS snare preset or using the UglyDarkRoom preset on your overall drums can give you a nice warming effect which also smootheens out the Hz spectrum. I always say use the presets and then build your own on top of them, cause remember these presets were designed by some highest acclaimed power movers in the production scene so use them and tweak them to ur needs.

The RV7000 is very useful when u want to fine tune low and high eq frequencies on your drums through the editor on the remote programmer. You can essentially(by disabling or minimizing all reverb features) remove all the reverb mechanisms and solely use the eq to tune things up or down.

Reason's rewire features allow for insane module setups imagine running your kick reverb which triggers a gate for your snare which runs through an eq...catch my drift?

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
I like the handy parametric eq and the low shelving filter tweaking of the reverb signal. Can the Gate section be triggered with MIDI? Remeber Havoc's Distinctive Drum/Snare feel - Learned from Prince Paul (he was the understudy). I wanta create drum sounds that have a kind of rich, transparent sounding reverb that only the most sophisticated reverb machines can do. Truly a sweet tool!

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
well i just recently made the shift 2 reason 2.5. Was workin in 2.0 so the rv7000 hasn't been used much by me yet, but ill give it a try next time i step into the lab

Phill Banxx

• AG Regular
  • Oh ahahahahaha you STILL here?
    • View Profile
    • Have Plenty Music
Quote from: "daliq"
I like the handy parametric eq and the low shelving filter tweaking of the reverb signal. Can the Gate section be triggered with MIDI? Remeber Havoc's Distinctive Drum/Snare feel - Learned from Prince Paul (he was the understudy). I wanta create drum sounds that have a kind of rich, transparent sounding reverb that only the most sophisticated reverb machines can do. Truly a sweet tool!

Yes you can trigger the gate with MIDI, by routing the 'Gate out' cable on a Redrum machine or Matrix to the Gate input on the back panel of the RV7000, then u can trigger it by playing from the pads on the Redrum or by actually routing the 'Gate out' cable from and exiting percussion sample, like a hihat.
Use the AMS drum presets (or whatever) and turn on the gating feature tweaking 2 taste and badabing!