Africasgateway.com

Reason 3.0

Alcatel · 13 · 4056

Alcatel

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-3
  • wa gwan?
    • View Profile
Anybody in cape town got all the discs n stuff to install reason 2.5 or higher. pleeeease. People i KNOW r stingy even 2day!
a ha ha ha ha ha ah ah ah! AHa ahh aa a a.....

Madnotes

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/tseboman
I have it but Im not in Cape Town..... :lol:

RuSh

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +1/-0
  • beware of the lioness
    • View Profile
    • www.rushay.org
:roll:
live on the lunch table
Touched fables
Ducked labels
cafeter one heat em live for the terrordome stables
Signed to Rawkus
I'd rather be mouth f***ed by Nazis unconscious

the brandョ

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
i wanna no
when it comes to mastering which is better
cubase or reason?

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
I should think it better to export the wavs to Cubase as its a multitrack audio-editor.I guess u could mixdown in reason, but maybe then master the mixdown in Cubase.I just feel it would be better.But thats just my view, others will differ.Its all about preference I think.U could even master with Soundforge which is a really tight program too.
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
reason doesn't have any mastering software does it?

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
Reason is by no means a mastering tool, it should be used for composition and mixing, after which you should render the audio files at the highest possible bit depth and sampling frequency your software and hardware can handle, for further processing outside Reason. Having said that, Reason does feature the tools required for advanced EQ:ing and compression - this can be useful if you're a fan of the RPS publishing format and want to add that 'finalized' quality to songs played straight out of Reason. You will find that many songs in the song archive utilize a single COMP-01 as master compressor and a PEQ-2 as master EQ. However, a single compressor might not produce satisfactory results, especially not on extremely intense material. Since it works over the entire frequency spectrum you will often get a "ducking" effect - i.e. one sound pushes other sounds out of the way. For example, a dominant ba** drum that looms high above the rest of the soundscape will prompt the compressor to inflict heavy damage on every beat, to the effect that all other sounds disappear out of 'hearsight' everytime the ba** drum is triggered. To overcome this problem you need a multiband compressor - it works like a battery of compressors, each handling its own slice of the frequency spectrum. Three bands (low, mid and high) is usually more than enough. Thanks to a couple of new devices in Reason 2.5, you can now build your own multiband compressor in the Reason rack. The procedure is as follows:

Create a 14:2 Mixer.
Create a Spider Audio Merger & Splitter. This will be used both to split the stereo signal from the master mixer output and to merge the signals
Create three BV512 Vocoders. Hold down Shift to avoid auto-routing (Reason will not guess right here).
Set all three Vocoders to Equalizer mode, 512 bands (FFT).
To divide up the three frequency ranges, use the sliders on each BV512's display. You need to cut all the bands except the ones that the Vocoder/EQ will be handling, so for the low range unit, leave the leftmost third (e.g. bands 1-10) as-is and pull the remaining sliders down to zero.
Repeat step 4 for range a**ignment of the mid- and high range BV512 units - a**ign the bands on the middle of the display (e.g. bands 11-22) to one and the remaining bands on the right side of the display (e.g. bands 23-32) to the other. (see illustration and .rns example below)
Create three COMP-01 compressors.
Create a Spider Audio Merger & Splitter.
Routing time: Mixer out to Spider Audio split input / Spider Audio split output 1-3 to BV512 #1-#3 carrier inputs / BV512 #1-#3 outputs to compressors #1-#3 inputs / compressors #1-#3 outputs to Spider Audio merge inputs 1-3 / Spider Audio merge output to Hardware interface.
For variation on this theme, try adding another pair of COMP-01 and BV512 and you get a multiband compressor with four bands (for example, low + low midrange + high midrange + high).

Or, you can try replacing each COMP-01 unit with a Scream 4 set to the Tape preset...

As a bonus, you can of course adjust the EQ bands on the Vocoders - together they serve as a master equalizer.

..from Propellerheads.se

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
"Reason is by no means a mastering tool"

- hehe, that what i thought... i don't even use if for mixing.

Logic all the way baby!

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
So you bypa** the hardware interface and rewire straight into Logic, do you use an external mixing board?

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
woah daliq damn what u talkin about in that post, ill try it out i guess...
as 4 the question d, reason is a lil 2 limited when it comes 2 mixing and mastering i render and use acid 4, coz its ncie and simple...but i suck at mastering:P

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
I guess having an outboard mixer is all good and well if u wanna mix, but with the ease of use of software, the virtual mixers are really tight though.So there's no real need for the hardware component.But once again, its all preference and of course depends on whether u got them really supertight hardware mixers.

Hey Daliq, nice read.Good info right there.

Hey Syc, as for mastering, it takes a really long time or extreme kwik-aqcuisition to become a master at mastering.I know for guys like Grenville Williams its taken him a good number of years and he admits he's still not there yet.And that Godessa album sounded really tight from a mastering perspective.I know a guy like Herb Powers (the go-to guy for almost everyone of the US R&B stars) has bout 20 plus years under his belt of working in the mastering industry from analog to todays hi-tech world of software and the like, but even he admits that its not easy.U gotta treat each song or project differently cause they all have something different about them.Of course, he's become a master at it and learnt how to cut corners.

One thing though, u gotta listen with different ears when mixing and when mastering.2 different entities as such.But one thing though, I realize, if ur mixing is up to scratch, then the mastering aspect is a real bonus.But I think trying to get ur mixing game up to its technical best (with things like individual instrument tweaking, panning, amount of fx processing, etc) is half the battle one and will hold u in good steed.U can then learn from mastering engineers what to listen out for and how to approach a project when mastering it.Also, mastering ur own work is not easy as it can be a bit of an emotional thing.Getting someone else (more capable) to take on the daunting task with u as co-advisor would be better I feel.Well, just my change of nickels and dimes.

的知 not a star, and I don稚 want to be a star. Stars fall. I知 an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

the brandョ

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
Quote from: "Dplanet"
reason doesn't have any mastering software does it?

reason3.0 does.....

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Hey Child, how u doing?So tell me, u using Reason 3?How's it handling?

Btw, how can us peeps in CT get the free-mix tape of urs?