Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Emcee's in S.A need a reality check

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
people are always going to be influenced by their idols & ish... i feel the problem is where they begin to mimic them, even when it's out of context... eg. mainly cats i see on mtv base rapping bout shit in the states i doubt they have any first hand experience of....

tumi does remind me of common & black thought- but f*** he does it so well & has put his twist on it that i feel him to be one of the illest! nuff said
 :wink:
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
yeah, cla**ic example of influences ...  the famous first sugarhill release. Big Hank was rhyming lyrics from Casanova Fly, even spelling his name in the lyrics without changing it ... nobody notices or took care and it became a legendary all-time hit.
same for grandmaster & the fourious five's first hit, actually just a recording of Melle Mel ... without any of the others involved ...
or check the "book of raplists" to see how many cats wrote rhymes for others ...  
hiphop (in the media) is just nowadays rock'n'roll ...  

what MTV is doing in africa is only extending their activities to another continent, and they allready expect u to be happy that the content was adapted to african clichés more than african needs.

what happens on the media side isn't the whole thing. u just have to do some research on the net.  www.myspace.com for example hosts many good artists and u can usually listen to their tracks right away online ... thats a dope resource to catch up with some actual artists who dont get all the media hype!

i think SA is still not as "polluted" as we are here in europe, takin the US as a role modell since the 50ies ... and i hope they will find their own way to spread over the globe ...
cheap CD producing and MP3s as well as the promoting through the internet should help nowadays ...
And record companies start opening theoir offices in SA (i heard K7/BBE is )

there is also the problem that on one hand it would be great to re-diffuse the old yo mtv raps shows, show more documentaries about hiphop ... on the other there is just as much black people who see whats on mtv and just want to do the same with no restrictions and say "why create something new and original and complicated to sell when the global ma** production model works"  ... that's why we have to keep on promoting our shit too and create a balance ...
some are clever, and use different names for different approaches to discussion topics, like kool keith creating 8 alter ego (or was it more now). it made him a creative star in the media instead of becoming a controversial mc.
he is just playing with the media, obviously and in a clever way .... that's the way if u wanna play in the media while having serious topics. u gotta package them in an interesting way ...

SA might need a few commercial cats to put SA on the global music map.
remember that besides run dmc, flash and public enemy its also sucka MCs like Vanilla Ice (or mc hammer) who outsold most others and brought hiphop on such a financial level .... (vanilla was even even a "good" rapper before, opening for tupac and other)
but nowadays its about becoming a f***in supermilliardaire while the hiphop struggle back then consisted in putting out an album ...

Dplanets comment about Uk hiphop are right as well .... it just reflects my view too ... because the labels will give u the audiences money, but its the audience that gives u love for what u do for them, and that is what SA artists should be all about!
if u catch the crowds attention, then u can make as much money as u can play ... take a look at vadim. 268 tour days in a year! that's what i call respect for the crowd. he is literally givin up his "normal" life for hiphop and his music ...  

"make as much money as u can play" ... that's a nice one ... in contradiction to "make as much money as the A&R and Marketing guys can get out of other peoples pockets"  

;)

i hope SA hiphop will have a brighter future than german hiphop ever had ...
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

authentic

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
okay okay ... aint form s.a but i got to say this ....
every one gets in coz one :they influenced by someone whom they was lisinin to when they was young n all so wen they startin its usually off tha shadows off whomeva they look upto....
like nas,mobb deep,raekwon n all ........thats all kool g n rakim mann
little brother tacin it from de la soul n a tribe called quest
tha point is .....are you mimicin tha otha dude or ya tacin how he brought it n using it to ya advantage which to mi acceptable ......
i love what PROVERBS is doin ........
TUMI ...damn that boy got skill mann ,he so sick
all em dudes sick in they own rites
url=http://albumbase.com][/url]

LazySamuel

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphop.nu/
yeah i like tumi and mr hymphatic thabs and non depiction and germ and WADDY JONES... not many others are worth any time cos chances are you heard one you heard em all

ANYONE COP THAT DANGER DOOM collab with mf doom and danger mouse?
imminy rickets aka curse pettersson

LazySamuel

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hiphop.nu/

memnoch

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
We dont appreciate our homegrown talent. Thats it...Some cannot fathom the level of skill. Without a doubt our artists are doing a heck of a job with the multi-sylable, multi-layered verses. Sh*t hearing some of them kicking their scripts accapella style is a blessing.

img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/hellraizerblades/Old%20Pics/AVatar.jpg[/img]