Africasgateway.com

Zimbabwe Evictions

fahfee · 7 · 2506

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
"As part of the government's Operation Murambatsvina. The homes of some 200,000 Zimbabwean city dwellers have been demolished in the past three weeks, according to the United Nations."

Watch secret filming of homes razed to the ground(BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4101228.stm#

Do you think that it is indeed an inhumane act or have things been blown out of proportion? Should the AU do more?

keep the discussion mature.
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
sure fahfee.

i was thinking that i would particularly like to hear the views of the zimbabwean residents on this forum. whats your take guys. whats actually going on there at home...?
what is the discrepancy between what i hear/am exposed to and the reality as you perceive it/experience it.

this is a discussion we need to have yo.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Not being curretly a Zim resident I will defer comment until I am actually in ZIm in 2 weeks..

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
but tate. you have family jo. you have family there. what are your parents saying. your friends. there are elements of you there.

what are they experiencing.

are you saying you have no clue.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
i have a friend in zim.

it sounds even worse than what i see on tv. she couldn't find airtime because mugabe kicked out the vendors from certain parts of the city.

and then they transferred cops to work in different communities so they don't feel restraint when they bulldoze houses.

so much for Nepad, AU, SADC and Renaissance.

A lesson in history - when Europe was industrialising, the politicians were also aristocrats, and landed.

so politics was not the basis of their wealth - they had old money. unlike the situation in africa.

around the same time, the new capitalist cla** which emerged was loaded and taking over the world. and they saw that only democracy and a libertarian politics would ensure their individual successes. they wanted to make and keep the 'new money' so democracy became entrenched in the first world.

fast foward to the decolonising africa in the 60's, most of these guys don't have this wealth basis, so they cilng to power.

check out our current deputy president - he has no money of his own. not his fault, system impoverished black people.
but now he draws on populist sentiments to try and deflect his own corrupt (naive sometimes) behaviours.
politics is the basis of his wealth.

hence, i believe give all the politicians an exit strategy in africa so they dont cling to power so desperately. give them BEE like Tokyo

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
^^Interesting history there Sunshine.

I read that they are setting aside money to build new homes? Hopefully that happens.

Isnt it a necessary evil though? I mean I wouldnt mind if someone cleared off the hawkers in JHB(downtown) overcrowding the pavements. Its so hard "to walk them streets".
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

triplelife

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
    • View Profile
Its sad that it had to happen this way. There was a need to clean up some of the 'shanty' hoods that sort of sprouted from nowhere its just that they are doing it all wrong. Shoulda provided some alternative for them peeps cuz in the first place, city council had issued title deeds  to some of them cats without first implementing proper sewer systems for the areas and are now using this as one of the excuses to tear down the cribs. Government also claims that the building of some of these cribs was financed through illegal foreign currency exchange. (I mean lets face it, its damn near impossible to build a crib from the ground up using legal financing unless you a legit rich mofo' nuhmean?) The economic climate in Zim just makes it impossible for the average man and yet you find peeps was still building and shit.

Its fair enough that they gotta clean shit up, but the government shoulda managed shit proper from the start such that the average man on the street wouldn't be driven to hawking in random areas or illegal foreign dough dealings......nuhmean? So the poor suffer for the mistakes made by the gvt. Its a dog eat dog world! :(
Him be nice like reco price/catch a overhand right like I'm Kimbo Slice...

Album Available from Musica, Look & Listen and Reliable Warehouse