• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
Quote from: "oz"

6. Jackie O feat Ghost Face - Tooken Back
7. 213(Snoop, Nate, Warren G) - Joystick
9. Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker

^^ wow! 213 album came out over a year ago and there were much better songs on Ghostface'S album than that.

11. Child of Sylenz - Intelligence Madness ( I like this one )
12. Sisanda - Carry On
13. Third World Riders - hell is home

^^ mp3's ?? HOOK ME UP!  8)
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Looks lik these HYPE compilations have devolved from the snapshot of SA hip hop they were intially (Vol 1 is still the best!) to a compilation of Fungayi's fave songs of the moment.. :(

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
wow,,, this issue of hype is like a gigantic advert for (US label) TVT Records. Not only do their artists occupy the front cover and take up 5 tracks on the CD, but there are at least 12 pages dedicated to them. slight overkill perhaps for a SA hip hop mag?

do we really need another medium for promoting Lil Jon and Snoop?

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
couldn't see anything on syd, no :)

there's a long article which seems to be dissing Amu and Draztik for infringing intellectual property rights. AG even gets a mention, quoting one of Draztik's responses.

and of course there's the Hiphocalypse mixtape give-away :)

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"

and of course there's the Hiphocalypse mixtape give-away :)

You mean HIPHOCALYPSE (all caps when you spell the name!!) Remixtape

thuli

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Looks lik these HYPE compilations have devolved from the snapshot of SA hip hop they were intially (Vol 1 is still the best!) to a compilation of Fungayi's fave songs of the moment..

that's the truth right there :cry:
uh?

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
hype has certainly lost its spunk...the compilation cd is whack and the articles are so ever tired....
 am hell behold!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
What do you all think they should do to make it better?

It's almost like we need some positive discrimination against US artists because they occupy so much of our media already. For example, I am in favour of music quotas here. Australia introduced laws stating that 80% of music broadcast on national radio and TV must be local. The result was that Australian record companies had to invest in local artist development and their music industry has been thriving ever since.

SA record companies don't invest in SA Hip Hop because it is not seen as commercially viable. It is more profitable for them to license a 50 Cent album (an artist who has a multimillion dollar marketing budget and gets heavy rotation on radio and tv) than it is for them to develop and promote a new local artist. It's very hard for local artists to get any attention when the industry is so weighted in favour of international music.

A mag like Hype could help change that, but it does seem like they are choosing to go the same way as all other media - promoting whoever is paying the bills. Understandable I guess,,, trying to stay commercially viable whilst holding it down for local heads is not an easy balancing act.

There isn't really any other publication that gives SA Hip Hop any voice at all (is there?)

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
DOnt believe the HYE

I think too much f what does into HYPE mag is at the editor's discretion.
I dont think there is a structure there to support a culture of local hip hop development.
What is needed (& I've sed this before) is a dedicated creative team of writers who are actually plugged into the local hip hop scene..
The current team appears to just hover around the fringes so anything they contribute cannot be insightful..

Thoughts?..

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
At least my crew made the issue.

Check us out on page 14, MrC stepping on the mic cables, my boy neon in the hoodie, DeePea chilling with Ayob and my nigga cave rocking the mic. We even got a good review for our show.

Watch out for the Perigos Minas mixtape coming soon !
One,
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Nah, Cyrus was never part of the crew. He was more like an extended member. He's always had he's own crew, Dungeon Shack. I just produced his album at my studio and we traded a few ideas.

But check him out on one track we got with Dungeon Shack on our upcoming mixtape.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MaddStone

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facultyofhiphop.org.za
Congrats Mr C.Nice one with that feature.I am yet to see the new HYPE.I gotta say I am perplexed by what seems to be the content of the new HYPE mag.Why so much US influence?I wonder too bout the whole TVT hook up.I think Rhyme 'n Reason are also linked with the HYPE peeps somehow cause T-bo cant get enuff of praising the TVT team.I must admit, Pitbull can rock it and I luv that 305 anthem.Its really one to get u amped.He flips its nice on there.

But that aside, I dont think many US mags would dedicate a bunch of pages to a label and its roster though, or for that matter, any international artist from any country.But then again, I am sure TVT paid a good few Rands for that so thats fine then.As for the whole HYPE argument, we dont really know what their structure is like and who they need to answer to.Its a commercial mag so anything commercially available wants to make money.And how do u do that?U put popular ppl in ur mag and u make ur money back.But I think it would be gr8 to hear some answers and the views from the HYPE mag team though.Someone can get Fungz here, then that'd be cool.But fact is, they have their own agenda and their mandate is their mandate........we can simply voice but ultimately u either buy it or leave it alone.I think they work on the premise that if so-called heads wont by the mag, its not a loss cause the other commercial hip hop and R&B luving flock will by into it, as u get a free cd containing some of the hottest international artists that get churned on radio all the time.So ya, such is how it goes.Maybe HYPE can do a split issue, that can be called the Regular and the Chopped 'n Screwed version.The Reg would contain the more gritty content and less flash, whereas the C'n S version would be all glitter suits and bling.Now thats a hot concept.Not cheap, I might add, but what could be done is that the Reg version could be printed in limited supply, as u'd know less ppl would be geared for that one, and the general public would cop the C'n S version.What thinketh u peeps?

As for B-souljah, like ur suggestion.Just thinking, though u know the connects to put out a publication u gotta be able to a**ure them, and they gotta know for themselves, that the mag will sell and it wont just be a bad cash investment.Maybe u could look at it as a bi-monthly as well, but every alternate month to HYPE's so that u dont get any conflict.Also, look at having it containing less pages, initially, and just focusing on the core aspects u wanna bring across for those 2 months.It could be smaller than A4, possibly A5 to start off with, all depends on costs.Also, it could be distributed along with another mag, in so doing, the other "mother" mag would then benefit from the sales too.Thats a worthwhile concept.But u also gotta contend with the powers that be that may not vibe at all with the idea.But worth a look into.........what do the others think?
Don't Hate, Rather Debate" - Mykh-ill Angel-oH

“I’m not a star, and I don’t want to be a star. Stars fall. I’m an entertainer, a performer" - Bernie Mac

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Thought a track from the Drudge was supposed to be on the CD from this month's HYPE?...

"This is a BattleCry..This is a BattleCry!!!"