Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Digital Graffiti

Chipa2 · 8 · 4095

Chipa2

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Does an "artist" who designs graff in programmes such as Freehand and Photoshop still qualify as a graff writer? i think not...

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jahfish.com
i know a few guys using the graphire pen & tablets to do nametags on their computer ... it always takes a whole bunch of tries though .... freehand and Illustrator offer to use calligraphic pens, which come close to markers, yet its usually not as large as a pen, u cant easily create drips and also the fading effect when lifting up the marker isnt there ... so u miss out on some original effects when using just the computer

i guess it depends wheter you want to use it "commercially" or not.

there is a documention on the "Dark Days" DVD how the grapher has gone through many stages of doing single lettering, then replacing the letters one by one on his computer, trying to find the optimal combination of tagged letters to create the logo ... but he drew the letters with a white marker on black paper!

the computer can only be a medium:
- either to create it directly with expensive close-to-real methods (you'll need a good usb-tablet, a very good pen with a sensitive tip, and the right setting and the knowledge of illustrator (i think the only program where you can use better brush-presets with more variablility)
- or to simply scan your source material and fix it together in another program (preferably photoshop or freehand if u convert your letter in vector paths).

the computer wont make a better logo for you. it can only help you and be your tool, so focus on a more complicated technique that your computer can again make a lot easier. for example "building" your logo/nametag from single letters or groups of letters ...

if u intend to create a logo, and your goal is to create a logo that the general public can simply read (well, some might go deeply into the lines and flows of your creation) then it's usually better to go that way, and find a good combination that a**ures an authentic look and a good readability at the same time.

but creating the whole thing just on the computer sucks for me ...  and surely everyone else who wants to give it a real feel. i think you're getting better results with using paper and a marker and just scan your raw material ... u can add scanned drips or brushed-out lines ...

if u want the tag to look close to a script/handwritten type, like those baseball jacket logos, u might use some script-font on your computer and just print it out in 10% grey .... and work over it with your marker ...

i don't consider myself a grapher, i was more busy "remixing" a few cla**ic fonts and collected a bit of typographic knowledge through my co-workers, but i did a few artworks/logos that some graffitti-heads were all curious about ...  ;)

and the good thing is that u actually dont even need a computer with that technique. u can even do that in the copyshop with a pair of scissors and some glue, like i did my first flyers bout 17/18 years ago  ;)

and also on this technique, whether u use a computer or xerox-machine as tool, it's somehow still 100% handmade hiphop!  ;)

sampling ... mixing together ...   there u have it   ;)
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Man fish, that you must have gone to the trouble to think about this in such detail for a technique that you're NOT crazy over........... BTW I'm still trippin on all that stuff you gave me on that disc wit the mp3 "Keys by the pound" and f*** those designs man... shit you putting me back to high school sad cos I cant draw and shit. :cry:
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Chipa2"
Does an "artist" who designs graff in programmes such as Freehand and Photoshop still qualify as a graff writer? i think not...

a graff writer wont ever be able to just sit on a computer and do the same thing (a tag) with the ease and the feel and with the same timing than with a marker. dont think the question really makes sense. he'd spend hours to come close to waht he can do with his real marker.

graffers using computers usually enhance their tag with graphics, icons, colors ...  i dont see that enhancement as anything negative. hiphop needs more than just taggers. if taggin was your way into graphics/design then that's cool with me ...  hiphop makes kids think about doin graphics instead of just taggin walls? thats fine ...  

design and graphics have been in hiphop since flyers were made for cool hercs party! the computer came in as soon as the record sales were more than a few hundreds and picture covers were requested!

real? non-real? unreal? whatever ....

when u see it and u like it ... then it's real!

"shit is real"
(mic geronimo)

"the realness"
(group home)

"down for the real"
(brand nubian)

"when itz real its real"
(landmynz)

"you cant front (shit is real)"
(diamond d)

;)
ack in berlin >>>

the deejay is the screendesigner is the artist is the graphic a**istance is the audiovisual freedom fighter is the fish

www.jahfish.com

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "syntactic"
Man fish, that you must have gone to the trouble to think about this in such detail for a technique that you're NOT crazy over...........

it's just 15 years of experience and the idea of contributing a contructive comment instead of the simple answer that followed  ;)

Quote from: "syntactic"
BTW I'm still trippin on all that stuff you gave me on that disc wit the mp3 "Keys by the pound" and f*** those designs man... shit you putting me back to high school sad cos I cant draw and shit. :cry:

dont cry and throw that outdated disc away .... got all my shit online now

www.jahfish.com

peace

fish
ack in berlin >>>

www.jahfish.com

Chipa2

• Guppie
    • View Profile
thanks for clearing that up for me, but i think you should try to understand my reasons. there are a couple of clowns in my college who claim that they're graff writers simply because they know a thing or two about tagging.
don't get me wrong, nuff respect for actuelly taking some time to learn how to tag, but then going around and telling people that the cats in the college who do the trains and walls ain't got s*** on them, cause they've been designing digital graffiti for a minute. i may be stereotyping, but a majority of "digitall graf writers" seem to believe that they demand more respect than the cats who actuelly go out, get cans, find walls and then bomb. i respect an artist who gets his influences from graf writers, but don't let the fact that you spend your time on an i mac, whilst graf writers spend their time on the streets, make you feel better than them

Love peace and nappiness

jahfish

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
i know what u mean ..... when cats just do their stuff just with the use of a computer, print out something, frame it and say it's graffitti art and act like a diva .... that's when i usually start wondering as well ... what the f***!?

graffitti art cant be a 100% computer product  ....

it just works for characters and logos used for advertising/printing ....

Quote from: "Chipa2"
i respect an artist who gets his influences from graf writers, but don't let the fact that you spend your time on an i mac, whilst graf writers spend their time on the streets, make you feel better than them

yeah, it's exactly the opposite for me .... using the computer a lot as i was working a lot in the advertising industry in between, i kinda lost my drawing talents a bit. so i have that much more respect for all the talented cats out there creating art with minimalistic methods ...  and i have often chosen to outsource some of that work to those really master of the art (check the mtv clip on my side, i just animated SPECTERs characters & drawings).
ack in berlin >>>

www.jahfish.com

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
ha are there any graf heads in this place
as 4 teh topic question, im not sure at first i would say they are graf artists but as i continue to think about it, and imagine that one could draw out the shape and outlines of then proceed to just slapp it up with some gradients... seems like a huge shortcut...

non the less as i was saynig are there any graf artist in this place, or ppl who know of them ( in my case digital ones would be nice) I wanna do some shirt printing ( gatta have the custom shit)